TOWMAX TIRES Get rid of them! HEARTLAND REPS READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim.Allison

If all you have found is Sailun tires then you have not done enough research. IMHO, buying Sailuns to replace your Towmax is like jumping from the fry pan into the fire.

Your dealer is lying to you about Towmax. Or he does not know anything about his products. Tomax is a scourge among tires.

Your 15500 lb rig should not have anymore than 3100 lbs on any one wheel, fully loaded. There may be a variation from one wheel to another but basically it should be 3100 lbs.

If you buy a LT tire capable of 3420, you will have much more tire than the 3540 lb ST tire you are currently running. I would look hard at a set of Firestone Transforce HT for $622 for a set of 4.

As far as the Sailun line, it is true that they have a G614 equivalent but for the money I would pass and get a set of Goodyear G614 or I would use a LT solution.

I did have it on the scales but it wasn't completely loaded. This whole tire thing is making me crazy, of course my dealer said don't worry we have no problems with the tow max tires. The more I read, the more it looks like all brands of tires are not up to the task of these heavy trailers. The only tire I have found that seems to get good reviews is the Sailun 235/85R16 tires in LR-G. I just don't know what to do at this point, I think I'll just go camping.:D

bobca1

Hi Jim,
You have a very strong opinion against Sailun tires. Are you aware of any information regarding failure rate of these tires, if so can you share? I did quite a bit of research before buying and could not find any significant negative reviews, most people that have posted seem to like them. Just wondering...

Bob

If all you have found is Sailun tires then you have not done enough research. IMHO, buying Sailuns to replace your Towmax is like jumping from the fry pan into the fire.

SGeohagan

We have had the Sailun tires in our 2011 Big Horn and have not had a problem. Was told by a heavy truck service center that's all they use on their vehicles. Have had tires blow on SOB, but no problem on the Big Horn and have put over 25000 miles on them.

Pizzaguy

Hi Jim,
You have a very strong opinion against Sailun tires. Are you aware of any information regarding failure rate of these tires, if so can you share? I did quite a bit of research before buying and could not find any significant negative reviews, most people that have posted seem to like them. Just wondering...

Bob

I would also like to know what Jim knows. I have not pulled the trigger yet even though I have a pretty good quote on a set of Goodyears. I just got the BH out of the shed last week and tires are one of the first projects. I am also seriously considering the Sailuns instead. We do not put on alot of miles as we are both working yet. I am guessing we will have a new BH in a few years again, and then will order it with the Goodyears.

Jim.Allison

Hi Jim,

Bob

Bob

You read my post and all you came up with is that little blurb? And you take that as an indictment of your research, and ultimate purchase of the Chinese made, Dynamic Tire distributed, Sailun Tire?

I did not cite any data concerning the tire, so I will not be augmenting my comments with any.

I merely stated that IMHO that buying a Sailun tire is like jumping from the "fry pan into the fire". And that I would seek another alternative before buying them.

I will NEVER buy another tire, Sailun or otherwise, distributed by Dynamic Tire. Why would I buy from a distributor who knowingly continues to distribute flawed tires?

If ones budget cannot afford the purchase of the G614, then obviously some other solution should be sought. The Chinese tires are certainly an alternative. Personally I buy American, so I would look at the Firestone Transforce HT LT 265/75 16s at 3415 lbs as an alternative. - Just saying

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
FWIW, my factory tires were G-rated Sailun 637's and I had no problem whatsoever with them.

I logged over 15K on them, before changing them out due to slight edge wear. (which was my fault for not keeping them properly inflated) I replaced them with G614's.

I have never really heard any negative feedback by actual users of these Sailun G-rated tires.

IMHO, it seems a little over the top to even place the Sailun brand in the same category with the infamous Towmax. Trace

Kosanko

My question is

Where do you purchase Sailun tires for your RV?

If you are offered them as an alternative to TowMax and cannot buy them from a reputable dealer this would cause concern for me.

Will Discount Tire or like nation wide dealers offer the tire warranty that are offered by the other brands they carry?

Also, are you positive Sailun S637 are true comparisons to the Goodyear G614???? I know for a fact they ARE NOT 14 PLY like the G614's and ARE 12 PLY!!!

If you doubt my word please call TBC for details!

Consider this.......

A 1/2 ton truck WILL TOW YOUR #15500 5th wheel, but For how long? How well? and will it stop it? Just because something CAN do the job are you comfortable with the equipment?

caissiel

No such tire as 14 ply anymore. My Chinese tires are 7 years old and over 50k miles with no problem. ST tires are junk for me and LT LR G tire are equally rated at 110 lbs air pressure that makes them much better.
My replacement tires are going to be Sailun for sure.
Anyone that are against the Sailun are not knowledgeable about the difference with ST and LT tires.
These same Sailun tires are developed for European market used on the trucks and trailers. Here we use 17.5 in and 19.5 in but in Europe 16 in is much more common. I am sure that GY will do, but with my past experience with GY leaves me preferring the Sailun technology and experience.
The Transforce might do the job but knowing the operating temperature difference between 90 psi and 110 psi my vote is for LR G Sailun.
My unit is rated and loaded to 15500 lbs.

Jim Posz

Another option is Maxxis trailer (ST) tires. I put them on my current and previous Sundance and had good luck with them. They are sold by Discount Tire through their retail stores and website, as well as independent retailers.

bobca1

Jim please don't take this the wrong way I'm not trying to push your buttons I was just asking why you dislike Sailun tires. Others are reading these posts and likely using this information to direct their purchase. You have also previously referred to them as mickey mouse. You have explained your reasons now that you do not trust the distributor and prefer to buy American. Good reasons. I just based my decision on different factors including quality and reliability... I have been unable to find any negative reviews or posts online about these tires. Of course we are all entitled to our own opinions these are mine. And I'll be the first to post here if I experience a failure!

Bob

You read my post and all you came up with is that little blurb? And you take that as an indictment of your research, and ultimate purchase of the Chinese made, Dynamic Tire distributed, Sailun Tire?

I did not cite any data concerning the tire, so I will not be augmenting my comments with any.

I merely stated that IMHO that buying a Sailun tire is like jumping from the "fry pan into the fire". And that I would seek another alternative before buying them.

I will NEVER buy another tire, Sailun or otherwise, distributed by Dynamic Tire. Why would I buy from a distributor who knowingly continues to distribute flawed tires?

If ones budget cannot afford the purchase of the G614, then obviously some other solution should be sought. The Chinese tires are certainly an alternative. Personally I buy American, so I would look at the Firestone Transforce HT LT 265/75 16s at 3415 lbs as an alternative. - Just saying

bobca1

I purchase from my local tire dealer. They are awesome. Had the tires the next day and took them less than 60 minutes to install all 5 new tires.
http://www.tire-man.com

I don't doubt your word but your your 1/2 ton comparison is ridiculous.

My question is

If you are offered them as an alternative to TowMax and cannot buy them from a reputable dealer this would cause concern for me.

Will Discount Tire or like nation wide dealers offer the tire warranty that are offered by the other brands they carry?

Also, are you positive Sailun S637 are true comparisons to the Goodyear G614???? I know for a fact they ARE NOT 14 PLY like the G614's and ARE 12 PLY!!!

Consider this.......

A 1/2 ton truck WILL TOW YOUR #15500 5th wheel, but For how long? How well? and will it stop it? Just because something CAN do the job are you comfortable with the equipment?

Jim.Allison

I don't advocate for the Sailun tire, but it is a 14 ply Chinese version of the Goodyear G614. And it is way better than the Power King Towmax.

Power King Sailun

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66N2172225

You should be able to find a great internet deal and take them to a local truck tire mounting place to mount and balance. I dont know about where you live but in Texas I don't pay sales tax on internet orders from companies from outside the state so online gives me a 10% break on sales tax.

One of the differences in the Goodyear G614 is Goodyear is real good about their warrantee and many times will pay for the damage caused by one of their tires. Their stated warrantee is replacement for the first 2/32, and prorated to the depth of the tread wear indicators. This is a long warranty since it will take a long time to wear 2/32 off of a Goodyear G614. I cannot find a written warranty for the Power King Sailun.

My question is

Consider this.......

Jim.Allison

I'm not taking it the wrong way, and you can't push my buttons.

My comments on tires have remained consistent. Read on....

I cannot predict who will read a post, and I have no clue how or why you specifically, chose the tires you chose. My choices are to not post, or risk stepping on someone's egg shells.

I run G114s not G614s. I have no dog in this fight. I do not have any personal experience with either the Power King Sailun or the Goodyear G614. However I have researched many solutions to the Towmax problem. Knowing what I know I know now, the G614 would have been my choice. I might also consider an LT such as the Transforce AT. Getting rid of a Towmax does not have to be as expensive at it seems. And I don't think you have to buy a Chinese tire to accomplish the mission.

I dont want to carry on with this, but you are misquoting and challenging me.

I never called Sailun tires "Mickey Mouse". While it is true that I said anything else is "Mickey Mouse" compared to the G614, this all encompassing statement included everything from Hercules to Carlisle.

Here is the exact text from the entire Mickey Mouse remark/post.

"Ditto on the G614s for the man that has the money, the 614s is the tire. Anything else is Mickey Mouse (for the man that has the money). There are other solutions, but nothing really beats the G614 for price and capability."

This is another comment from the same thread;

"If it comes from China, I don't want it, I don't care if Goodyear made it over their. So I will pay a little extra over a lifetime to ride on quality American tires, and keep an American employed, after all the Chinese do not pay into our social security system, we need people to pay into it. I spend more in soda pop and popcorn than what I could have saved by buying foreign tires over my lifetime.

But when it come to RVs, owners do not like buying tires and they do not like buying batteries. They go nuts over choosing wheel bearing grease though. And everyone has their favorites because that is what they bought, and they want you to buy it too. Some people like company that way.

But on the flip side, the Sailun is a 110 psi tire rated at or near the same as the G614. Getting away from the Blowmax E rated ST tire is really what the goal is.

A price is what is asked for a product, but a sale happens when the price of an item equals the buyers idea of value. So if you are trying to get away from Towmax, and not spend any money in the process then the Sailun will probably provide the value you seek."

- Hoping we are finished

Jim please don't take this the wrong way I'm not trying to push your buttons I was just asking why you dislike Sailun tires. Others are reading these posts and likely using this information to direct their purchase. You have also previously referred to them as mickey mouse. You have explained your reasons now that you do not trust the distributor and prefer to buy American. Good reasons. I just based my decision on different factors including quality and reliability... I have been unable to find any negative reviews or posts online about these tires. Of course we are all entitled to our own opinions these are mine. And I'll be the first to post here if I experience a failure!

bobca1

Yeah good point. Tire shop told me that if there was a defective (Sailun) tire they would work with me to replace it, but I don't have a warranty in writing, what I have is their reputation. I was bit surprised they did not try to push an extended warranty on me usually that's common practice. If I recall correctly, someone posted on these forums that when their GY failed GY covered cost to fix the RV damage? From warranty perspective looks like you can't do any better than GY!

One of the differences in the Goodyear G614 is Goodyear is real good about their warrantee and many times will pay for the damage caused by one of their tires. Their stated warrantee is replacement for the first 2/32, and prorated to the depth of the tread wear indicators. This is a long warranty since it will take a long time to wear 2/32 off of a Goodyear G614. I cannot find a written warranty for the Power King Sailun.

bobca1

Are you a lawyer? :D
We need to get a beer and move on.
Mods will probably delete my last few posts by tomorrow anyway...

I never called any Sailun tire a Mickey Mouse Tire.

"Ditto on the G614s for the man that has the money, the 614s is the tire. Anything else is mickeymouse. There are other solutions, but nothing really beats the G614 for price and capability."

Kosanko

bobca1,

I do have a written warranty on my G614's that will cover replacement and also trailer damage if they fail!!

and, my 1/2 ton comparison id right ON!!!! you may find it ridiculous but I am sure if you look on the internet you will find 1/2 trucks pulling #15500 5th wheels (not for long or safely) but hey they saved a few bucks and got their trailer from point A to point B!! But then again I wouldn't pull my 5th wheel with a SRW 1 ton

Congrats on your Sailun's "they are the best"

now can this discussion be over