Toy Hauler garage AC......

oscar

The hard way or the easy way......

Cut a hole in the floor and put in a marine style deck plate (6")
free standing AC with the exhaust hose out the floor. It's 74ºF in there, the main AC didn't even notice. Slider closed, kid in there on his top bunk playing his vid stuff.

Yup, that works.

porthole

Retired
I used a portable AC in a utility trailer we were using as a remote mobile office. Works great.
If we needed the garage to be as cool as the rest of the trailer I would do exactly what you did.
Already have a 20 amp circuit back there, so half the battle is done.

IronJ

What is btu of freestanding unit..??.I rewired /load balanced my 3 15k units on my th ...on 50amp and all three with quick cool vents open, it's loud, violent air. ...but it's 70 inside and 100 out!!.lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

oscar

Not sure what BTU's are, I have to look. Wild guess is the same as a large window AC. But, it's keeping the garage cool, and I haven't blown any breakers yet. At one point had salon, bedroom and garage portable running at the same time.

IronJ

I was just wondering bc a 5k btu window unit is rated for like 150sq ft....but that's a relatively small unit for windows....but maybe they are more efficient?? My 15k roof units are crazy loud with quick cool vents open...but they work for sure....!! My th has a lot of windows tho

jam20ster

IRONJ

Can you explain how you load balanced the A/C's? I too have a 3 A/C TH and would like to do the same.

IronJ

Best advice...call an electrician!!..lol..one of my good friends/clients owns a electrical business...so I smoked some ribs and lured him over....!! ..

But basically, the rear ac was om it's own breaker and the middle and front ac were on another breaker.

So he rewired the middle one to its own NEW breaker in the panel thus putting each unit on its own breaker.

Also he made sure that all 3 units were not on Same leg of service (50amp trailer is actually TWO 50amp incoming legs)

As far as load balancing, I'm not sure exactly what he moved, but b he just said he evened out the "normal operating" loads between the 2 legs....

Of course this ONLY works on shore power....the genny will still only run 2 units

Hope that helps!!

alex00

IRONJ

Can you explain how you load balanced the A/C's? I too have a 3 A/C TH and would like to do the same.

I just did this mod two weeks ago. Hopefully not hijacking this thread too much. In the cyclone it was very easy.

Pull your circuit breaker main box out of the hole. Remove the switch to select the air conditioner. Using fish tape run 12/2 romex from the switch box to the hole for your circuit box. It was about 4 feet on mine. With the breaker box out of the hole you can easily reach the fish tape. You may even be able to run the wire without the fish tape.

Find a spot in the circuit breaker box for a new 20 amp breaker. Pop it in and attach the black wire to the new breaker and the white and copper wires to the appropriate buss bar.

At the light switch you'll see the wire coming from the bottom of the box attach to the middle hot screws. The two wires going out of the top of the box go to each air conditioner. Feed your new wire into the bottom of the switch box. Attach the existing bottom wire to one air conditioner line and the new wire to the other. Now both air conditioners have their own breaker. Cover it with a blank plate and you're all done. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438228835.168038.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1438228852.552905.jpg

As far as balancing, each of your 50 amp main breakers control 1/2 your circuits. On our boxes they are every other circuit. The top 50 amp main controls the upper circuit breaker. Then skips one, etc. balancing the load simply requires putting loads on every other breaker. You'll notice that each breaker contains two legs. Both those legs are controlled by one main breaker.

Here is an idea of what the breaker box looks like. You can see how every other breaker is attached to the metal rail.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438228697.841823.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oscar

So we ran it this way for two weeks straight...... the only word to describe it is AWESOME. We use the rear door as the only entrance when parked and walking in there in 90º weather is was 76º no problem. Kept the slider closed, and the salon unit going when we weren't there or in bed, the bedroom unit when we were home. Cool and quiet.

sdwelling

The hard way or the easy way......

Cut a hole in the floor and put in a marine style deck plate (6")
free standing AC with the exhaust hose out the floor. It's 74ºF in there, the main AC didn't even notice. Slider closed, kid in there on his top bunk playing his vid stuff.

Yup, that works.
I've got a washer /dryer in the garage - thinking about a free standing a/c for back there using the w/D wall vent for the a/c... I think it's about a 3 or 4" hole.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk