Toying w/ a F350 dually

BigGuy82

I have the 27 gallon tank honestly I have never had a real issue, I need to stop for bio break for either one of us or the K9.

That, of course, is personal preference. I just use rest stops or my coach, because towing a large rig means its not always easy to find an appropriate fueling station, especially if you are not on an interstate. I also don't like getting tied up at truck stops while the driver in front of me takes his time inside. What I do like is filling up at the end of the day at a local station without the camper in tow. Makes life much easier.

Different folks, different strokes.

BigGuy82

Don't know why, but toying w/ by looking at 350 dually's and from what I've seen on dealers web sites is that they all have 4.10 LS gears. No 3.73 LS avail? Read the post on mpg's w/4.10 and just a smidge lower than my 3.55 (9.0-9.5 @ 70 mph). Saw 2 that perked my attention, 1 has more options and 5th wheel prep, the other less options and no 5th prep. Price is about 8k difference. Spoke to the DW this morning on my take and really no reply/input on switching trucks potentially. Sure the cheaper one always sparks the most interest, but........ The higher priced one would mean another new hitch (just bought a new hitch last year, rail mounted). FWIW, both trucks were XLT's which is fine by me and even the cheaper one has options I wouldn't get if ordering it myself.

Anyways, what's your take on this? I know that dually's offer benny's over a SRW and truck is used more often as a solo vehicle than towing. Other advice?

This just came across my email - you may find it useful.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-fifth-...railer&utm_content=180302-FifW-TruckGuide-edu

Eric1234

My take on this:

if your going for for a dually look at the F450, the wide track front axle is amazing plus it has bigger brakes. I opted when I purchased for the platinum. The fluff is nice but the massage seats are awesome for long trips.

have a good day

Eric

PS: it’s a good feeling have more truck than you need instead of being on the ragged edge of the weight limits of the truck. I have been there done that and won’t go to anything smaller than my F450

BLR

My take on this:

if your going for for a dually look at the F450, the wide track front axle is amazing plus it has bigger brakes. I opted when I purchased for the platinum. The fluff is nice but the massage seats are awesome for long trips.

have a good day

Eric

PS: it’s a good feeling have more truck than you need instead of being on the ragged edge of the weight limits of the truck. I have been there done that and won’t go to anything smaller than my F450
We just got our 17 F450 Platinum back in November..
We came from a 2003 F550..
Love the steering ratio when we get into tight spaces

Sent from BLR Logistics

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I just bought a new 17 F350 King Ranch FX4 dually with a 4:10 gear. It has the 48 gallon tank and I moved my 40 gal aux tank/ tool box from my 08 F350 srw. I was good with the 08 on every weight but the gcvwr. I was 675# over. I had the Airlift 5000 bags and it handled great until I hit a 55-60 mph cross wind while in a rain storm. I finally gave in to safety over convinence and got the dually. I haven't had a chance to tow our BH 3260EL yet but can hardly wait. I also changed to a Curt Q24 hitch with the Ford puck hitch. I have a friend that gets 11mpg towing a similar rig with a 16 f350 with the 4:10. I can feel the difference on the 440 hp and 925 fpt with my new truck.

porthole

Retired
I was wrong it's 26 and 37.5

A simple momentary lapse Jon :rolleyes:

We took our F450 and rig thru a Blue Beacon Truck Wash, did just fine. Only thing we will do differently next time is take our Chihuahua mix for a walk while hubby drives the rig thru. She went crazy.

I have found two that my dually fit through one in Springfield, Illinois and one in Erie, PA I use all summer

We hit the New Jersey Blue Beacon just about every time we are coming home from the south. Not exactly cheap, but sure beats 4-5 hours of trying to clean it once we get home - and having no desire after doing the cleaning and post trip - next trip prep I do every time we get home.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, wrong twice. I have a 2016 crew cab, dually, long bed, Standard is 27 gallons (or whatever fraction thereof - you pick), The larger one is optional. I should know this pretty well as I am the one who had to fill t up every 200 miles, took it out and spent a grand to replace it. Folks can bounce back and forth on this as much as they want or you can just take my word that I know my truck.

You may know YOUR truck, but the 2016 long bed came standard with a 37.5 gallon tank and Jon is not wrong

BigGuy82

A simple momentary lapse Jon :rolleyes:

We hit the New Jersey Blue Beacon just about every time we are coming home from the south. Not exactly cheap, but sure beats 4-5 hours of trying to clean it once we get home - and having no desire after doing the cleaning and post trip - next trip prep I do every time we get home.

- - - Updated - - -

You may know YOUR truck, but the 2016 long bed came standard with a 37.5 gallon tank and Jon is not wrong

It is unfortunate that you are both wrong. Mine was off the lot - crew cab long bed. Also, before I bought it I ordered a new one and the larger tank was an option. Just to see if I was crazy, I talked to another camper who has the same truck - with a 27 gallon tank. Now, I was ordering later in the year so perhaps that was a change they made. So you see, I know MY truck (very well) but YOU don’t know what you’re talking about AND I don’t appreciate the sarcasm. Why would you feel the pressing need to give me a hard time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
It is unfortunate that you are both wrong. Mine was off the lot - crew cab long bed. Also, before I bought it I ordered a new one and the larger tank was an option. Just to see if I was crazy, I talked to another camper who has the same truck - with a 27 gallon tank. Now, I was ordering later in the year so perhaps that was a change they made. So you see, I know MY truck (very well) but YOU don’t know what you’re talking about AND I don’t appreciate the sarcasm. Why would you feel the pressing need to give me a hard time?

OK - you're right - I'm wrong, my error.

I didn't realize you had a regular cab long bed ............................

But, for everyone following along:

2011-2016 6.7 diesel long bed crew cab DRW's came standard with a 37.5 gallon tank.
"If" you ordered a long bed 'regular' cab or any short bed, you got a 26 gallon tank.

From the 2016 Ford Super Duty brochure

Screenshot 2018-03-03 13.05.15.jpg

And from the 2016 Super Duty Diesel supplement manual

Screenshot 2018-03-03 14.46.39.jpg

Last I checked, DRW only came with a long bed

porthole

Retired
Not sure if you would be interested in a slightly used model. I stopped yesterday and looked at a ‘17 F350 DRW King Ranch. Immaculate condition. 30k miles. Price was good.

That's it - just throw the dog bones on the other side of the fence?

NYSUPstater

Thanks BigGuy for the info. I drive a semi for a living, but have owned short box trucks since '97. I do love them. But like a said earlier, w/ old coach---no problemo. I knew going into the new coach I'd be over on pretty much everything and not too worried about that. Just never gave the tires a thought really. With big trip planned later this year, wasn't too sure about the tires and extra heat from air temps and just by shear heat created by rotation. Everything (IMO) has a bit of a fudge factor built into them, but mfr's cannot print that so that's why I was asking about the tires to folks. If they were going to be a BIG problem, then next step would be going to a dually----hence my inquiry about them. Well aware of advantages/disadvantages of both. Our SRW does quite well handling the BC.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if you would be interested in a slightly used model. I stopped yesterday and looked at a ‘17 F350 DRW King Ranch. Immaculate condition. 30k miles. Price was good.

Figured I wear off on you and surprised it was this quick after just meeting you a few months back !!!! LOL Seriously, PM me the info. Thanks.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Figured I wear off on you and surprised it was this quick after just meeting you a few months back !!!! LOL Seriously, PM me the info. Thanks.

Done. I believe this one has 3:55 gears.

Let me know if the link worked. I also looked at 3 new left over 2017s 350 DRWs in the area. Might be a good deal on them as well.

jnbhobe

Let me know if the link worked. I also looked at 3 new left over 2017s 350 DRWs in the area. Might be a good deal on them as well.
The more I look at them the more I think I will keep mine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired

More bones thrown over the fence - where did you get that from "Bones" :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

The more I look at them the more I think I will keep mine.

Yours isn't that old and you can't get the axle in a 350 :mad:

dave10a

My truck has the standard 26 gal fuel tank which is a little bit too small for long distance travel. I tied down a $100 12gal marine fuel tank in the bed with a small $12 D size battery powered kerosene pump that works great for emergencies. After traveling 60,000 miles I have had to use it once in Oregon and once in Virginia. Otherwise the stock fuel tank gets around 250 miles from truck stop to truck stop which is OK for pit stops and stretching out. The newer Fords have larger tanks I believe which was sorely needed. I do not understand what Ford was thinking to put in such a small tank for such a hard working truck.

Weird. My 2016 DRW long bed crew cab came with a 36-ish gallon tank (as did my 2013 and 2002). Sounds like someone on the assembly line put the wrong tank in yours if it only had a 27 gallon tank. Granted, the short bed models did have a 27-ish gallon tank.
My 2016 DRW crew-long bed also has the 36 and it has the 3.73 axle ratio.