Toying w/ a F350 dually

BigGuy82

My 2016 DRW crew-long bed also has the 36 and it has the 3.73 axle ratio.

Well, because this thread is really getting old, I'm just gonna unsubscribe from it. Perhaps I have lacked clarity in previous posts, so let me leave you with a short quiz that may put this in perspective:

1 - Your fuel gauge reads about 1/4 full.
2 - You fill the tank up and it takes about 20 gallons.
3 - There is absolutely nothing wrong with your fuel gauge or computer

The approximate capacity is your fuel tank is:
a) 12 gallons
b) 36 gallons
c) 27 gallons
d) 200 gallons

Yeah,I know I'm being a smart *****, but let it go people - my truck started out with a 27 gallon tank.

Don't know about the Ford, but I just purchased a 2018 Chevy 3500 with the factory installed hitch prep kit with pucks in the bed.
Demco has an adaptor plate to fit the puck system allowing me to use my Anderson rail version hitch.
You might check with them on the Ford. Might save you big bucks and you won't need to buy another hitch.

CE

RickL

Thanks for the replies so far gang. Current ride is a '15 F350 SRW, 6.7,cc,4x4,sb,50 gal T-flow replacement tank, B&W Patriot (just bought). For some reason I thought that was in my sig.....my bad, sorry. Tho I'm a lil over on all 3 trucks weights (axle, truck, combo, not overly really worried about that as I'm sure Ford (along w/ GM & Ram) tested it w/a lot more weight than I'll ever have on it. At the time of purchase (off the lot & had a F250 SD 6.0 Lariat), we had a SOB 5er which was lighter and figured a SRW 350 would be sufficient. Well it was while we had that coach. Come last year we got the BC and the extra weight (and not from me drinking Pepsi). It tows the rig just fine, went to ME and no probs. However, looking at FL this summer and tires are the weak link.

They have a combo of 7300 lbs and I'm over that now by 300 lbs. Spoke to a tire dude whom I've known for 30 years and he knows his stuff on tires and he said I'm fine if over a few hundred. Get up to 1,000-2000 then another story. He goes onto say that if tires are like 1/2 worn they will run cooler VS new and max speed is 75 mph (18" tires), make sure aired up to 80 psi cold. My concern is not only heat generated by going around, but also ambient temp, heat from blacktop etc. So hence my toying w/ a dually when I've said all along "don't need a truck w/ training wheels". Add to this as well, I just bought an extra set of rims and snow tires for current truck last Nov and don't think they will fit on stud/bolt pattern of a dually.

Looking at Fords web site, w/4.10 gears it will most likely tow anything we have now and or in the future. MPG wise, we lost 1-1.5 going from old 5er to the BC so by sounds of things be about the same, but may have to slow down just a tad to get 9-9.5. FWIW, the bc weighs in fully loaded at 15,980 out of 16000. Man that's a lot of stuff!!! Just asking for opinions as I'll hopefully chat more w/the DW next cple of days.

On edit RE fuel tank. Stock tank on the '15 sb was 29 gallon. Replaced w/ the T-flow 50 gallon. Much nicer!!

Hate to break the news to you, but . . . your “tire guy” would struggle explaining to a manufacturers engineer how it’s ok to safely carry more weight then is stated on the tire. Yes, there is a built in over capacity but I’ll guarantee you will never get an engineer to tell you what that is. (Been there, done that)

Bottom line over loaded is overloaded. Not only are the tires over loaded but also the suspension. I’m a huge supporter of having too much truck then just enough. Rolling down the highway pulling a 16,000 lb trailer and a 6,000 lb truck becomes extremely dangerous when you are at or over capacity when a tire blows or you are forced to do an evasive maneuver. A dually may not be the answer, but it’s a step in the right direction in my opinion.

BigGuy82

Hate to break the news to you, but . . . your “tire guy” would struggle explaining to a manufacturers engineer how it’s ok to safely carry more weight then is stated on the tire. Yes, there is a built in over capacity but I’ll guarantee you will never get an engineer to tell you what that is. (Been there, done that)

Bottom line over loaded is overloaded. Not only are the tires over loaded but also the suspension. I’m a huge supporter of having too much truck then just enough. Rolling down the highway pulling a 16,000 lb trailer and a 6,000 lb truck becomes extremely dangerous when you are at or over capacity when a tire blows or you are forced to do an evasive maneuver. A dually may not be the answer, but it’s a step in the right direction in my opinion.

Agreed. My feelings on this are simple: There is no such thing as too much truck but there is such a thing as not enough truck.

There's also another consideration here. If you have a severe accident due to component failure and you have exceeded the specifications of the vehicle and related components (ie - tires), you can rest assured that your insurance company will discover that and will walk on your claim. You are responsible for insuring compliance with the law. You may also wind up being criminally liable. It's just not worth it - buy the right truck for the job. You're better off not upgrading your coach if you can't afford the truck. Why take a chance?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Mike. Looked at these 2017‘s today

King Ranch
2qw07xx.jpg

Lariat
jqnok2.jpg

NYSUPstater

The Lariat looks nice. Like the color. Both '17's? DW is not a fan of white. I am in the form of snow, but cannot for the life of me figure out why in "H" Arctic Cat made a white snowmobile w/ black decals a few years back. Looked nice in showroom, but blended in too much on the snow. Yuk....and I'm a Cat guy.

porthole

Retired
Stopped and looked at this ‘17 last week. Can’t ssy much about it. Was snowing like crazy.
https://www.jimshorkeyford.com/new/Ford/2017-Ford-F-350-c2ed416b0a0e0aea33de5982989833f2.htm

The option list on that one seems odd.

The truck is a Lariat. The Lariat Ultimate package should have included the adaptive cruise, BLIS and LED headlights.

Don't know how other brands mark their pricing, but when you look a the discounts listed - $10,022 on this truck, many dealers include everything available, stacked.
Once you get the details you may find discounts that can't be stacked, e.g college student, first responder and or military. But, $10K off a 2017, now that 2018's can now longer be ordered (2019 order banks opened last week), is a good start. You could probably do even better then that "get you in the door" price.

And as a bonus - you would get a 48 gallon fuel tank standard !

Here is my two cents...I’ve had a 2011 F350DRW and towed our 2015 Big Country 3596RE 50k miles with no issues...even hit a crazy 10% grade that was a bit nerving and a bunch of windy conditions in Montana and Wyoming. Today, I have a 2018 f350 Lariat SRW and despite giving up a little better tracking, my new rig tows our camper very well...I literally just got him from towing 90miles in 20mph drivers side/head wind the entire drive and all was well cruising at 65mph.

If you have the thought of upgrading to a larger camper, get the DRW, but the SRW is good for me after 2,400miles of trailering since December.

travlingman

The option list on that one seems odd.

The truck is a Lariat. The Lariat Ultimate package should have included the adaptive cruise, BLIS and LED headlights.
(2019 order banks opened last week)

Looking at a 2017 order guide, the Lariat Ultimate package doesn't include adaptive cruise, BLIS or LED headlights. It includes LED box and LED CHMSL lights.

porthole

Retired
Looking at a 2017 order guide, the Lariat Ultimate package doesn't include adaptive cruise, BLIS or LED headlights. It includes LED box and LED CHMSL lights.

Yeah, forgot, once the platinum came out I stopped looking at lariats. Platinum included most of the extras.

Is anyone using an Aux fuel tank in the bed of their truck with the gravity feed system?
Any pro's and con's?
I just purchased a new Chevy 3500 dually and thinking about a 50 gal aux tank.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Is anyone using an Aux fuel tank in the bed of their truck with the gravity feed system?
Any pro's and con's?

Lots of discussion on other threads here on this forum. Check them out using the search engine...

Personally I have the 37 gal RDS aux tank in my SD with the gravity feed. Been using it for 3 yrs so far. Wouldn’t travel without it. Trouble & worry free!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

Won't adding aux fuel tanks in bed put you over GVW of truck? If a dually weighs 9000 add pin of 4000, leaves just 1000 for extras if truck has a GVW of 14000.

Lots of discussion on other threads here on this forum. Check them out using the search engine...

Personally I have the 37 gal RDS aux tank in my SD with the gravity feed. Been using it for 3 yrs so far. Wouldn’t travel without it. Trouble & worry free!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your response.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Any pro's and con's?
CE, I have an RDS 60 gallon gravity feed in my Ram. It's the same tank I had in my GMC.
I have a solenoid on/off valve in line. Works great.

Peace
Dave