TPMS dropping sensors during transit

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
As I browse this thread and see either I like them or I don't like them I feel the need to get involved. My vote, I like Valor and had two brands so far and Valor is my choice and of course it is a personal like thing. However, when it comes to service Don and Valor are far above any other company out there. Now for my real input, no one has talked about a brake hanging up or a wheel bearing going or failing. Yes blow outs are sudden and catastophic but most of the time what cause the blow out. A sudden impact of a shart object in the roadway or tire fairure do too increased pressure from increased heat. So thats why I like and use and will never put my coach on the road with out a TPMS, one less thing to worry about and one more system to help monitor a mechanical part. Go Don Go.

Valor-Don

Murry135 - thank you for the kind words and the endorsement. I agree with everything you said. I did mention in part of this thread about a customer (non-Heartland) I have who experienced a brake hang up on this Fifth Wheel and the Valor display notified him. He was able to pull over and found what the problem was before it caused a blowout and accident. The interesting thing was he had just replaced the brakes on his trailer just before his trip.
Of course, I hope the Valor system is never needed but things happen and it is better to be prepared. I also have auto insurance and hope I never need that either.
At Valor we have a saying...."It's all about the Sensor". That is what separates us from the competition.

EPaulikonis

Just got finished up checking the Valor TPMS w/Don Rigby. Don stopped in at 8:00PM on his way back to MI from TN. What awesome customer focus. Don checked sensors on each tire. Glad he did because the sensor chips in display were transposed on axle #2. All sensors mounted on the rims did provide a readout. We moved on to swap out the display unit for a newer model which helped to insure there were no shorts in the antenna that may have been causing the dropout. For those unaware, any defect in the line connecting the antenna to the system will adversely affect gain which could drop a signal coming from a sensor in the tire. Both the right front (axle #1) and left rear (axle #2) still would not provide information to the system. Don is going to order two new sensors, ship them to me w/paid return postage, and I'm going to have them mounted at a local garage and return the two malfunctioning sensors so Valor can assess what's causing the issue. I'm confident Don will again go out of his way to get me some feedback on what caused the problem as well. I'll post a follow-up once the new sensors are mounted and back on the Landmark.

A final thought tonight...regardless of your position on using or not using a TPMS, I'd buy from Valor any day. Don has been beyond responsive to my needs as a customer and has went out of his way to help me resolve the issue. Customer service and quality are lacking in many industries, but Don is working his tail off to make sure his Valor customers are "Happy Campers!" Thanks again Don.

wdk450

I HAVE had a REAL TPMS alarm before a tire could blowout, that saved me from having that harrowing experience. Due to a fractured drum at the bearings nipple, my tire inside sidewall was rubbing/shredding on the sharp corner of the frame shock mount. I guess the tire started to leak as I got a TPMS alarm in time to pull over to the edge of the freeway, and then slowly proceed to an offramp 1/4 mile away. The tire never exploded.

EPaulikonis

Received the sensors in from Don last night. He sent me two since I had the driver's side front and passenger side rear sensor acting flaky when he did the checkout at my home. I need to pull the tires and get them to a shop to break down the rim and replace the sensors.

Have a feeling the display unit may have had a less than outstanding antenna connection as well. Don replaced that and one of the suspect tires gave me good readings on a short 20mi. trip yesterday when I picked the 5er up from the shop. Driver's side tire quit updating ~15mi. into the trip, but the rear passenger tire that used to read 0000 on the display was solid for the trip. I'll replace both regardless.

EPaulikonis

Installed the two new sensors from Don. Had to re-baseline during the first tow, but all four tires on the trailer are now working without any issue. I really appreciate all of Don's help and his urgency getting the new sensors to me quickly.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I removed my TPMS as it activated often in error .Who needs this stress !!! TPMS is just another sales gimmick and they rarely work properly.

IMHO you must have something wrong with your system. We have used a TPMS for years and the only issue we have had is on occasion a sensor would lose signal. We finally wore out our Doran system and replaced it with the TST system. We like the TST better as it is smaller and easier to deal with. We have the sensors that allow us to air up our tires without removing the sensor. I will say that on at least 6 occasions over the years the Doran TPMS has alerted us to a condition before we had a blowout saving us a tire and damage to the RV. The system did not alert us to a tire that 'blew' was the tire just 'exploded' and the TPMS is not designed to alert that type of failure. Keep in mind that all new motor vehicles are required to come with a built in TPMS so like it or not you will have one. Even our Ford Fiesta (an inexpensive car) came with a TPMS as standard equipment.