TPMS pressure settings

Miller0758

I just installed the TST 507SG system however I don't see any recommendations as to where to set the high and low pressure alarm set-points. Running 80 PSI tires so thought alarm at 75 for low but not sure on the high side. Open to suggestions ... thanks

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
10% above and below, but I have had to adjust the alarms on our 507 several times. Mainly the highs. Our last tires really fluctuated greatly, depending on drive time, outside temps, ect.. The new tires, not so much. I did run into issues this year with the low temp alarms when we were camping in late fall. Daytime temps in the 70's then falling to the 30' at night. When I would start the truck in the morning, alarms would go off everywhere. I think we are now set somewhere around 8% for the lows and 12% for the highs.

danemayer

20% low is considered "run flat". On 80 psi tires, that would be 64 psi. But I would set the alarm around 70 psi. If you run in very cold weather, you might have to adjust up 1 or 2 psi, or silence the alarm for the first mile of travel.

Our 110psi tires can easily run close to 130 psi on a 98 degree day - a combination of hot road, direct sun, and highway speed. I think I have the high side alarm around 132. That might be equivalent to around 96 psi on 80 psi tires.

porthole

Retired
John, I set mine for 5 psi under and started with 10 over for the high. From there I just kept adjusting the upper limits until the alarm stopped going off. The Goodyear H-114's tires need a fairly high set point, so it took a few trips to get it all down.

The truck tires never go more then 10 over when running, so the "over-base" limits are lower for the truck then the trailer.

How did the gauge compare?

Miller0758

The gauge was 3 lbs higher than the sensors. I used the gauge to set at 80 psi and the sensors are at 77. Strange thing is ... before I began, the sensor said 73 however the gauge said 71.5 ... I'm going with the gauge but am not sure why the difference as I inflated through the range. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a gauge for myself. Thanks for the loan and I will make sure you get it back next week.

John, I set mine for 5 psi under and started with 10 over for the high. From there I just kept adjusting the upper limits until the alarm stopped going off. The Goodyear H-114's tires need a fairly high set point, so it took a few trips to get it all down.

The truck tires never go more then 10 over when running, so the "over-base" limits are lower for the truck then the trailer.

How did the gauge compare?

porthole

Retired
You can order that gauge with changes - My kit was the 6' hose and I had it changed to the 24", plus I changed which accessories came with it.

SeattleLion

On our 80psi we experience 95 to 97 psi on hot days. I think we set our TPM at 100 lbs on the high side and 65 on the low side. On a cool day starting out (outside temp 50 deg F) we get about 70 psi.

Miller0758

Thank you Bob ... it looks like it will be hit or miss until I get it nailed down

On our 80psi we experience 95 to 97 psi on hot days. I think we set our TPM at 100 lbs on the high side and 65 on the low side. On a cool day starting out (outside temp 50 deg F) we get about 70 psi.