TPMS Sensors - Rubber vs Metal Valve Stems

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Ernie:
I know it's not the best set up to have two different screens, but it has worked for me on three Ram's so far. I have never had a TPMS issue on any of my Trucks! I have had several TPMS on my TT back off slightly and give a false signal even with the metal stems. For me, 80% of the time I am not towing so the truck screen is great and I don't have to carry and hook up an additional screen which to me is small and hard to read. Under tow, I will work with the small screen due to the importance of the information being displayed.
Just my thoughts...

Az_Ernie

Ernie:
I know it's not the best set up to have two different screens, but it has worked for me on three Ram's so far. I have never had a TPMS issue on any of my Trucks! I have had several TPMS on my TT back off slightly and give a false signal even with the metal stems. For me, 80% of the time I am not towing so the truck screen is great and I don't have to carry and hook up an additional screen which to me is small and hard to read. Under tow, I will work with the small screen due to the importance of the information being displayed.
Just my thoughts...
I agree a 100%. Like you, I will only use the TST 507RV TPMS while under tow (probably less than 20% of the time). Thanks for your input!

- - - Updated - - -

I used the rubber stems on an F-350 with factory TPMS, never had a problem.

More warm fuzzies! Thanks Jon.

Last edited:

Az_Ernie

Aren't the factory TPMS mounted inside the rims vs the add on on the end of the valve stems?
On Chevrolet trucks, the OEM sensors are attached to end of the rubber valve stems inside the tires. The OEM sensors can not be used with after market metal valve stems - according to the tire shop and the local Chevrolet dealer.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Ernie, our truck didn't come with a pressure monitoring system. 2011 the 2500 had them but not the 3500. Doug

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do not have OEM TPMS on our Dually. I forgot to have them put metal valve stems on when we got our Michelins from Discount Tire, last year. Well, finally went to get them rotated and metal stems put on. I made an appt. with the new Discount Tire in Brownwood, TX. 45 min. later, they called my name saying the vehicle is ready. I said, "don't I need to pay for the valve stems?" They said, "nope, it's no charge!"

Such great service!!! We've been buying tires from them forever, and won't ever buy tires anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Do not have OEM TPMS on our Dually. I forgot to have them put metal valve stems on when we got our Michelins from Discount Tire, last year. Well, finally went to get them rotated and metal stems put on. I made an appt. with the new Discount Tire in Brownwood, TX. 45 min. later, they called my name saying the vehicle is ready. I said, "don't I need to pay for the valve stems?" They said, "nope, it's no charge!"

Such great service!!! We've been buying tires from them forever, and won't ever buy tires anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erika, which TPMS are you using on your dually? I also had mine changed to metal stems, but don't have TPMS on the truck. For some reason, GM did not offer it on duallies, only SRW's when I bought it.

Rollin_Free

We just purchased a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) for our 2014 Chev 2500HD and our 3160EL Bighorn. The truck has an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) TPMS installed.

Has anyone purchased and used the TST 507RV TPMS and installed the non-flow through sensors on your tow vehicle's OEM rubber valve stems? If so, have you experienced any valve stem or other related failures?

Yes I had the non-flow through on my Tundra rear wheels and still had the OEM system operational without issue. However the Tundra wheels had steel valve stems so not sure of the differences between these and GM systems.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika, which TPMS are you using on your dually? I also had mine changed to metal stems, but don't have TPMS on the truck. For some reason, GM did not offer it on duallies, only SRW's when I bought it.

John, we have the TST 507 (non-flow through). Haven't installed yet on the 2013 GMC, but we used them on the 2004.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, I put the flow through on the inner wheels of my RAM. It's pretty easy to adjust the air pressure if needed.
I use a short piece of fuel line to remove the stem cap. Slips on the cap easily and turns right off.
So depending on your wheel style that might be a good option to consider.

Peace
Dave

Speedy

I was involved with the development of a tester/handler for the semiconductors that are used in the OEM tire monitoring systems. Most if not all OEM TPM systems use a integrated sensor valve stem design in order to make them lower cost, usable across different platforms and secure from theft. These semiconductors had all the functions and mechanics designed onto one device, simply amazing. That way the sensor/valve stem would be just a semiconductor and a long life battery.

The company that was making the sensors was based in London, UK and were quite nice to work with.