Trail Air tri glide and Trailer Saver Hitch Question

Pizzaguy

I have a 2013 BH3585 with a Trail-Air tri glide pinbox and currently have a Curt 20K hitch. This is a good combination, but may have come across a deal on a Trailer Saver TS3 hitch. My question is if I would buy the hitch, would the air bags in both hitch and pinbox "fight" each other and make it worse? I hate to relace the Trail Air,but I do have the factory pinbox yet. I know that the air hitch in the truck is the best option,but can I continue to use the Trail Air on the trailer?

porthole

Retired
is it a used TS3?

If so, you need to do a very good inspection.

Just an FYI, if the head assembly is worn you cannot buy parts and the head is well over $600 plus shipping.

Pizzaguy

Yes it is used. I have not seen it yet and I thought it would have to be in excellent condition for me to buy a used one anyway. Thanks for the info on not being able to get parts for it though. I am satisfied for now on my current set up because I do not tow a lot of miles. I know when I can travel more that the air ride hitch instead of pin box is the way to go. I just saw this one listed for sale and it is worth at least checking into.

ILH

M brother recently borrowed my truck to tow his 5ver - he wanted to see how my diesel setup performed (he has a gaser). I have the BD3 (yes, I know its different, but it has the air bags). His trailer has the trailair. We were curious about the setup fighting each other - but he did not find any issues.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have been told that they would fight each other by people that should know. I have no personal experience but love my Trail Air w/Tri Glide pinbox.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just read an article in Trailer Life about a guy that installed the Kelderman Air Suspension.
He also has a TrailerSaver Air-Ride hitch.
That's two air bag systems and he claims it now rides better than ever.
Doesn't sound like anything is fighting the other.
I suspect you will be fine with the Trail Air.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

We ordered our Landmark with the TrailAir Pin Box. Before it was delivered we decided to buy the Hensley BD3 Hitch. I asked Hensley if there would be a problem with the 2 devices working together and they said they didn't think so, and added they didn't think we would get any additional benefit out of the TrailAir Pin Box. So we cancelled the TrailAir option and went with the standard pin box.

porthole

Retired
I have and air hitch and an air ride truck. They do not "fight" each other.

i previously had air bags in the truck and a trail-air pin box. They did not "fight" each other.

We use two airbags all the time in the fire department (one on top of the other)

Jim.Allison

I dont think it would be a problem but cannot offer concrete opinion, but I can say that I have a BD3 and it is a definite plus for my rig. I believe in Hensley hitches (the one you are considering included). Watching my pin box out the rearview mirror, I know it is working for me. I cannot imagine my Big Country taking all that shock. It is worth the investment not just for the chucking aspect but everything from your generator mounts to the lights in your kitchen is getting beat to pieces without the Hensley back there running interference. We call ours "Henry" my wife has a name for everything. BTW, I saw a brand new BD3 on craigslist the other day. That is a great way to save a $1k.

I have a 2013 BH3585 with a Trail-Air tri glide pinbox and currently have a Curt 20K hitch. This is a good combination, but may have come across a deal on a Trailer Saver TS3 hitch. My question is if I would buy the hitch, would the air bags in both hitch and pinbox "fight" each other and make it worse? I hate to relace the Trail Air,but I do have the factory pinbox yet. I know that the air hitch in the truck is the best option,but can I continue to use the Trail Air on the trailer?

Jim.Allison

The advantage to investing in your hensley is that you will always own it and you wont be giving it up if you trade your rig. Since I was buying a hitch already, I invested all my money in the hitch and kept the stock pin box. Just as you did, I think this is the most efficient way to go, I bought the slider also, but the 88 degree turn ability of the heartland eliminates the need for that. Since my BlowMax tire incident, I don't make turns that almost roll my tires off the rims anymore. But I do still have the slider. Never used it.
We ordered our Landmark with the TrailAir Pin Box. Before it was delivered we decided to buy the Hensley BD3 Hitch. I asked Hensley if there would be a problem with the 2 devices working together and they said they didn't think so, and added they didn't think we would get any additional benefit out of the TrailAir Pin Box. So we cancelled the TrailAir option and went with the standard pin box.