Trail Air Tri Glide Retro

jjbowl

I finally got a response from Lippert concerning the problems I am having with the Trailair pin box. I sent them several pictures that showed 4 of the bolts they installed the trail air with that were bent or the lock washers were expanded or totally missed the bolt. After getting these pics the level of cooperation increased significantly. As of today they are sending me all new bolts, washers and nuts as well as the new lower plate that is designed to stop the chucking. All this at no cost to me. All I have to do is remove the original lower half and replace it with the new one.

Ray, I see you have already done this. Can you give me a heads up on anything that you learned and how hard I can expect this conversion to be.

Thanks

bill40

Jim,
I'm sure ray will tell you it is a pretty straight foward exchange. If you don't have a helper you will need a jack and table to put it on. Sorry I didn't take any pictures but I was able to use a bottle jack and a peice of 2x6 too keep it level. I used a couple of large screwdivers to line up the holes. My problem was they sent me the wrong size air bag and I was leaving for a trip. Saftey was not a concern but the ride was terrible.
The ride did improve with the new bag but not what I thought it would be so far I will try different air pressures to see if I can improve it. Good luck and keep the primer and paint handy. Bill

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, if you haven't already done so, take a look at the first post in this thread. It has a few pictures of the "process". I used a picnic table and a floor jack and separated the lower jaw from the upper and then removed the upper by itself. The only reason I removed the upper section was to try and get a better paint job that would last a while before flaking off. I had help from my wife to stabilize the parts as I raised or lowered them. When re-mounting the pin into the box, make sure you go one hole up from the original position to accommodate the new lower section. It came with good instructions. You can call me if need be during the install.

bill40

Hi Ray,
Just a update.
We just returned from the PA Rally (GREAT TIME) this thing has a mide of it's own. Both on the trip out and return it does not seem to work for about the first 4 or 5 miles and then it settles in and works just as advertised. I will have the pin weight checked down at the scales soon. It was a big help for wife's back. Hope yours works as well.

Delaine and Lindy

Trailer Saver....

We have use the Trailair pin box on two 5th wheels. I was using the B&W system and didn't have any chucking. But this is the 2nd Trailer Saver Air ride hitch we have owned. We at first ordered the new 2010 with the Trailair pin box. Then I decided to get another Trailer Saver air hitch. I then deleted the Trailair Pin box. I must say our pin weight is very heavy, depending on what we have in the basement the pin weight is 3,500 to 3,800 lbs and we have no chucking at all and I'm using the standard pin box. If your doing a lot of towing I would spend the extra dollars and get the best hitch, (Trailer Saver) . If you ever read the Skpe forums most every full timer is using the Trailer Saver. The TS 3 Trailer Saver will fit most all bed rails. I used the TS 3 in the Chevy 3500 and the 4500. The Trailer Saver I have now is the TSLB2H 32,000 lb capacity, I can also remove the 5th wheel head and install the Gooseneck ball to tow the Gooseneck trailer. The name says it all Trailer Saver. This of course is just MHO. GBY....

www.trailersaver.com

Ray LeTourneau

Hi Ray,
Just a update.
We just returned from the PA Rally (GREAT TIME) this thing has a mide of it's own. Both on the trip out and return it does not seem to work for about the first 4 or 5 miles and then it settles in and works just as advertised. I will have the pin weight checked down at the scales soon. It was a big help for wife's back. Hope yours works as well.
That's pretty strange Bill. I wish I had an explanation for that but it certainly doesn't make any sense. Ours was good from the start. On our return trip the first time we towed the rig with the new tri-glide, I didn't hold back and while the ride felt good, there were a few things "misplaced" :eek: in the trailer. I couldn't tell it was riding rough though. FWIW our pin weight is 3000#

jjbowl

We got the lower jaw for the tri glide last week from lippert and had our local dealer make the swap. Only took them an hour and they had never seen one before. I have to say that the ride was quite an improvement. It almost feels like a floating sensation rather than the chucking we had before. I think this is going to work out pretty good since the wife seems happy about the ride now. Lippert ended up paying the freight both ways and no charge for the lower jaw so they more than stepped up on their guarantee.

Ray LeTourneau

We got the lower jaw for the tri glide last week from lippert and had our local dealer make the swap. Only took them an hour and they had never seen one before. I have to say that the ride was quite an improvement. It almost feels like a floating sensation rather than the chucking we had before. I think this is going to work out pretty good since the wife seems happy about the ride now. Lippert ended up paying the freight both ways and no charge for the lower jaw so they more than stepped up on their guarantee.
Jim, that's great news. Glad to hear it all worked out in your favor. I sure wish I could have gotten that deal on the n/c freight.

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, n one of your pictures I noticed a cover for your pin hitch. Did you make it?
Yes, I had some white vinyl material laying around and started cutting pieces and Lin did the sewing on a basic sewing machine. Keeps the air bag hidden from UV and the Trail Air a little cleaner.:) The only thing wrong now is I used to have a big level up there and 2 flag pole holders. Since the rebuild, I've decided not to reinstall those items so the cover has a few holes not needed. I guess I'll have to get some more material.