Trailer Dolly

oscar

I might even warm up to the idea of a forklift if it will help me trim the palm trees. But I'll probably be the one taking the forklift maintenance 101 class, which is why I wasn't so keen on the idea..........

Sonja

Forklifts are pretty low maintenance.

workplatform.jpg

oscar

Only if you don't use them. I worked for Foley Caterpillar, the towmotor division (fork lifts) for almost a year. I would say fork lifts were far from low maintenance.

Yes, if they run 12+ hours a day they wear out.

porthole

Retired
Yes, if they run 12+ hours a day they wear out.

Don't need 12+ a day for some. We have a marine fork lift (15' down 40' up). Never sees water, never has been used at more then half it's capacity and every year costs at least 4-5000 in repairs. Right now with boats on a rack that need to come down the mast is apart again............
And our "in shop" lift hardly gets used, maybe once a month and has few issues.

To move a 5th wheel around you need to have a FL big enough to handle 5000 pounds at 5' and be stable.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
For 4500, someone in the neighborhood might have something that could move it for you. That much could pay for many times for someone to do it for you. Has anyone thought about something that would fit on the front of a truck to hook up and just drive it in. I know when I was working in the Propane business and we had to set a tank, the trailer could be hooked up to the front of the truck making it a lot easier to be put where needed. I realize there is a deference in a regular trailer hitch and a 5th wheel hitch, but just throwing the idea out there.

oscar

I'm still waiting to see Jon's 5th wheel adapter for the front of his truck he mentioned :cool:

Funny you should mention that. Getting my CDL in Holland three or so decades ago I was driving combos. Cab with 20 or so feet of box, and then a 20' trailer behind it. Backing up was precarious at best as there were TWO pivot points. The axle on the trailer and the triangle to the truck. So the mantra was:"When in doubt, take it on the nose...." There was a hitch on the front of the truck, and taking the trailer there made it 1000% easier to put it where you wanted it. Still two pivot points, but at least you could see them, and you didn't have to think backwards.

Sooooo, I've had 2" receiver hitches on the front of a few vehicles I've owned. And, with the fiver the thought did come to mind to be able to "Take it on the nose".....

Hmmmmm......

jnbhobe

I have class 3 hitches on the front of 3 trucks and one on my forklift for the 5th wheel I set the pin in a piece of 3 inch pipe on the forks. On the bronco's I have two stacked 2 inch recievers with a 2ft long piece of 3in pipe welded to them, I use the forklift most of the time, I only have to move the rig 40 to 50 feet in the door and across the building.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have a peice of 3 inch welded to the back of the front bucket on the backhoe. Fortunately I only have to use it in muddy situations with the 5er. On that rare occasion we get that rain thing that used to come on a regular basis.