Trailer Dry Weight - Includes or Excludes Water and Propane?

mharnden

As noted in the specifications, does the 12,015 pound "Dry Weight" of the Bighorn 3160 Elite include or exclude full water and propane tanks?

We are planning to purchase a Bighorn 3160 Elite in early 2017. While reading through various trailer manufacturers information sources, I have found sometimes the "Dry (or Empty) Weight" includes the weight of full fresh water and propane tanks. Realizing the term "dry/empty" would seem to exclude the weight of any water, etc., I have seen some that do. With a GVWR of 15,500 pounds on the 3160 Elite and estimating the weight of the desired options at about 2,300 pounds, that will leave us with about 1,200 pounds for food, clothing, other gear and maybe water and propane. If excluded, that will force us to make cuts somewhere. Hoping the water and propane are included so we can order the trailer with the desired options and still take some food and clothes along.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As noted in the specifications, does the 12,015 pound "Dry Weight" of the Bighorn 3160 Elite include or exclude full water and propane tanks?

We are planning to purchase a Bighorn 3160 Elite in early 2017. While reading through various trailer manufacturers information sources, I have found sometimes the "Dry (or Empty) Weight" includes the weight of full fresh water and propane tanks. Realizing the term "dry/empty" would seem to exclude the weight of any water, etc., I have seen some that do. With a GVWR of 15,500 pounds on the 3160 Elite and estimating the weight of the desired options at about 2,300 pounds, that will leave us with about 1,200 pounds for food, clothing, other gear and maybe water and propane. If excluded, that will force us to make cuts somewhere. Hoping the water and propane are included so we can order the trailer with the desired options and still take some food and clothes along.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

The dry weight will be with empty holding tanks and empty propane tanks. Probably no battery because the dealer installs the battery.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I could be wrong but 2300# of options seems very high..Don

Water weighs about 9.5 lbs per gallon. It adds up fast. 10 gal water heater, 2 45 gallon grey water and 1 45 gallon black water tank. Then you have a 100 gallon fresh water tank that is 2232.5 if all of the tanks are full. Thanks why most people do not travel with full tanks.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
You will have to check the yellow sticker on the door frame when you get you rig. It will show the dry weight as weighted at the factory with all the options you may or may not of ordered.

mharnden

The dry weight will be with empty holding tanks and empty propane tanks. Probably no battery because the dealer installs the battery.

Well darn! I was thinking "Dry Weight" really was going to be dry weight but was holding on to a sliver of hope because full (fresh) water and propane tanks will account for about 900 pounds of the 1,200 pounds available. 300 pounds for food, clothing and gear is not reasonable. This will play a large part in our buying decision.

Thank you,
Mike

mharnden

I could be wrong but 2300# of options seems very high..Don

Don & Kathy - I agree it does sound high but I listed the options and assigned actual or estimated weights to each then added them up. A short listing of the items I have down at 50 pound or more include:
5.5 KWLP Generator @ 300#, 6 point Level Up auto leveling @ 200#, Dual Pane Windows @ 200#, Upgraded brakes (12.25" x 3.375") @ 200#, Slide Topper Awnings (3) @ 100#, Optional Power Awning (on Dining Slide) @ 100#, 1 1/4" Hitch Receiver @ 50 #, Power Theater Seating @ 50#, and Electric Fireplace @ 50#. These, along with a host of other Bighorn options got me to 1,500 pounds. To that I added a Washer/Dryer @ 220#, 6 volt Battery Bank @ 250#, and Solar Charging System (including inverter and other associated components) @ 300#. I am likely high on some estimates but low on others.

Seems like a lot but I believe the 2,300 pounds is pretty close. Any comment would be appreciated if I am off very much.

Thanks,
Mike

- - - Updated - - -

This is the same on what brand you get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Guess we weren't expecting to have to pick and choose options based on weight limitations.

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

You will have to check the yellow sticker on the door frame when you get you rig. It will show the dry weight as weighted at the factory with all the options you may or may not of ordered.

Yes, the yellow sticker will be the real/actual weight. However, that will be there upon delivery and after the ordering process, including picking and choosing the options based on the weight.

A catch 22, Thanks,
Mike

avvidclif

Why not list out your options(not in sentence format) and ask 3160 owners to check their yellow sticker and let you know what options they have. That will get you close...

mharnden

Why not list out your options(not in sentence format) and ask 3160 owners to check their yellow sticker and let you know what options they have. That will get you close...

Good idea. Late model 2015/2016 Bighorn 3160 Elite owners, help on weights requested. Am I close on my weight estimates on the following Bighorn options?

300# 5.5 KW LP Generator
200# 6 point Level Up auto leveling
200# Dual Pane Windows
200# Upgraded brakes (12.25" x 3.375" on 8,000# axle)
100# Slide Topper Awnings (3)
100# Option Power Awning on Dining Slide (metal covered)
50# 1 1/4" Hitch/Receiver
50# Power Theater Seating
50# Electric Fireplace

Thanks,
Mike

TxCowboy

9.5 lbs per gallon of water? That must have some very heavy minerals in it. Actually water, per gallon is as follows:
https://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/subsection1_4_2_0_7.html

Just to make it easier on everybody, the linked chart shows that water weighs approximately 8.4 pounds per gallon.

Gotta give the OP some kudos. Lots of folks looking at buying an RV look at the info on the web and totally ignore the yellow tag. Others that do read the yellow tag don't take the time to think through what other things (water, food, clothes, etc.) they might be carrying at any given time. Some RVs have a pretty generous cargo hauling capacity and some have almost none.

Again, kudos to the OP for being aware and thinking this process through. :)

Lynn1130

Thanks. I posted that because if I would have said that the normal calculation weight is 8.4 lbs someone would have argued with me :)

I can get 114 lbs of fresh water in the tank, lines and water heater for dry camping/hunting trips. I figure that to be approx. 958 lbs added weight.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
A tag on my BH provides an estimated weight with full tanks...about 1700#
a5280ba2ce71ea6789e79ae4422fe1df.jpg

mharnden

Lyle & Nancy - Thanks for the "yellow tag" photo. While a different model, this shows my issue. I don't foresee any time we would have all tanks full but certainly would go with full fresh water. In this instance, the payload/cargo carrying capacity (CCC) is 1,461#. Take the fresh water weight of 640# away leaves you with 821# of CCC. Add even just a few options to that (generator, washer/dryer, etc.) and that remaining 821# of CCC are gone. No food, no clothes, no addition weight can be added. That is my dilemma.

Mike

travelin2

Yep, options and extras add up fast. We travel with some FW all the time because you just never know and carry equipment to cover any necessary repairs in addition to essentials. Also when road tripping I have liquid in my waste tanks since I do not empty each and every day so keep that in mind. Once you think you're outfitted weigh your rig and make adjustments accordingly.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I don't foresee any time we would have all tanks full but certainly would go with full fresh water.

You may want to rethink that and put just enough water in the fresh tank to use the facilities while on the road and fill the tank once you reach your destination.

A full tank of water is a lot of weight to carry around and will cost you with lower gas mileage and can also cause some sway (although not as bad in a f'ver as with a bumper pull trailer).

I suppose that a short pull with a full fresh water tank isn't a big deal . . . but a long haul probably not a good idea.

travelin2

You may want to rethink that and put just enough water in the fresh tank to use the facilities while on the road and fill the tank once you reach your destination.

A full tank of water is a lot of weight to carry around and will cost you with lower gas mileage and can also cause some sway (although not as bad in a f'ver as with a bumper pull trailer).

I suppose that a short pull with a full fresh water tank isn't a big deal . . . but a long haul probably not a good idea.

If your strictly destination bound and know the available amenities then this mute...
When road tripping from spot to spot and not sure when we'll be able to get potable water, I'll carry enough water so the 2/3 full FW idiot light will light. Not sure/don't care exactly how many gallons that is but works for us. Additionally we'll carry a full load to the next spot, again if uncertain of availability, if the next few nights are dry camping in a public CG.
I can't say that I notice any appreciable differences in how the rig tows or fuel mileage.

Lynn1130

Me either. I don't notice a difference in mileage with tanks full or empty. What I do notice is that long climbs are 5-10 mph slower with a load of water and quads in the back than if I am empty. My DIC is telling me that climbs at 60 geared down is giving me the same mileage as climbs at 50 in low gears. 2K difference to a diesel is chicken feed. There is no difference in handling one way or the other. I agree that it is unnecessary, in most cases to carry a full load of water when water will be available at stops along the way. Since we dry camp often and hunt the back country a full load of water is necessary most times.

avvidclif

Lyle & Nancy - Thanks for the "yellow tag" photo. While a different model, this shows my issue. I don't foresee any time we would have all tanks full but certainly would go with full fresh water. In this instance, the payload/cargo carrying capacity (CCC) is 1,461#. Take the fresh water weight of 640# away leaves you with 821# of CCC. Add even just a few options to that (generator, washer/dryer, etc.) and that remaining 821# of CCC are gone. No food, no clothes, no addition weight can be added. That is my dilemma.

Mike

I read that differently. It shows CCC of 1461# WITH fresh water tanks full.