Trailer Dry Weight - Includes or Excludes Water and Propane?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Good idea to worry about the empty weight. But it is really a mute point. Your main concern will be the loaded for travel weight...GVW. When you get the trailer, load it up and go weight it at any CAT scale. Then you will know for sure how much it weighs.

pegmikef

Yeah, its pretty clear to me since it says on the white sticker that it is 2100 pounds without the water, but does remind you what the weight of the added water is.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
9.5 lbs per gallon of water? That must have some very heavy minerals in it. Actually water, per gallon is as follows:
https://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/subsection1_4_2_0_7.html

Sorry I was trying to do the weight by memory. At 8.4 pounds per gallon on a 100 gallon fresh water tank you still are at 840 pounds. Then you add 3 - 45 gallon grey and black tanks and you have another 1134 pounds. So in combo you will have 1974 and that is just the weight of the water not including the feces, urine, toilet paper etc. So I think 2000 pounds would be a rough guesstimate.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If your strictly destination bound and know the available amenities then this mute...
When road tripping from spot to spot and not sure when we'll be able to get potable water, I'll carry enough water so the 2/3 full FW idiot light will light. Not sure/don't care exactly how many gallons that is but works for us. Additionally we'll carry a full load to the next spot, again if uncertain of availability, if the next few nights are dry camping in a public CG.
I can't say that I notice any appreciable differences in how the rig tows or fuel mileage.

If our destination is not far from the house or at least not a haul over a high mountain pass, I'll might fill the fresh water tank at the house.

Most state parks or national parks campgrounds, even if they don't provide full hookups, generally have water available through a water pump somewhere in the park.

And if they don't have a threaded hose hookup, I have a device called a 'Water Thief' (got it at Camping World) that fits those hand pumps that the state and national forest campgrounds have.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If our destination is not far from the house or at least not a haul over a high mountain pass, I'll might fill the fresh water tank at the house.

Most state parks or national parks campgrounds, even if they don't provide full hookups, generally have water available through a water pump somewhere in the park.

And if they don't have a threaded hose hookup, I have a device called a 'Water Thief' (got it at Camping World) that fits those hand pumps that the state and national forest campgrounds have.

Agreed except not all parks have potable water available all the time or maybe not at all. Case in point-we were in a beautiful BLM CG in Idaho, plumbed for water-wasn't on. In Montana we stayed at USFS CG-NO water period. USFS CG first week of season, water test failed so no potable water.
We stayed in a SP in Alaska. Wasn't planning to stay there but ended up there anyway. Asked the host about filling my tank with water. None there I was told. He directed us back the road 5 miles or so to a laundromat in the middle of nowhere for water. Hooked up to a metered faucet and fed it quarters!And I could go on.
So like you say unless your destination bound and aware of available amenities upon arrival I carry enough water to get me by for several days. As the DW says "we stay at a lot of mercer approved campsites" !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcwettstein

We had our 3160 weighed at the rally in Goshen and it was 14000 and some change. !/2 tank of water. Loaded with food, clothes, bikes on bike rack, solar, small washer, but, no generator electric theater seats or 8000 axles.

mharnden

We had our 3160 weighed at the rally in Goshen and it was 14000 and some change. !/2 tank of water. Loaded with food, clothes, bikes on bike rack, solar, small washer, but, no generator electric theater seats or 8000 axles.

Thank you for your trailer weight information.

Also, thanks to all for your comments. This will help us during our ordering process.

Mike

Krogh

This thread has me worried. I have a 2016 3760El with nearly every option including generator and stackable washer dryer. My yellow sticker says 1183 after fresh water is full. That 1183 includes all of the options installed by the factory, correct?

danemayer

This thread has me worried. I have a 2016 3760El with nearly every option including generator and stackable washer dryer. My yellow sticker says 1183 after fresh water is full. That 1183 includes all of the options installed by the factory, correct?
The yellow sticker on the door frame should reflect the actual weight as the trailer left the factory floor - all factory options installed. No dealer installed options included in that weight.

If the dry weight spec is 13,400, the yellow sticker could possibly have a weight of something like 14,200, depending on how you configured it. The GVWR is 16,000. The difference between GVWR and yellow sticker weight would leave 1,800 lbs for your stuff, water and propane.

Krogh

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm that the yellow sticker weight includes the factory installed options. I had a stackable washer and dryer installed by the dealer so my "yellow sticker" weight is actuall around 100 lbs less than the 1183 listed. Thankfully I never travel with the water tank filled.

Birchwood

The yellow tag on our Landmark says "the weight of cargo should never exceed 2500 lbs" our dry weight states 12900lb and our trailer GVWR is 16550 lb on the tag.We are heavy on the left side as the tires wear on the inside but no failures in 7 years of travel(30,000 miles).I am very fussy on our cargo as no generator no stackable washer and dryer(we just have washer) never carry fresh water and holding tanks are always empty .