Trailer hitch

Hey everyone !!!!! I am new to the forum thing. My wife and I bought a new 2009 Bighorn 3055l in 2009 and have not tried the forum yet. We belong to a small RV club in Colorado Springs and have a few issues at this point in time that we would like to ask you veterans of the Rv world. the first thing I would ask is that I would like to add a trailer hitch to the trailer. Can I do this safely and can anyone recommend what kind or type that can be safely added and where I can have this done. I am only looking at towing a 12 foot flatbed trailer with my Polaris 800 4x4 on it. It only weighs 800 lbs. and I am not sure what the trailer weight is, but am not looking at towing a boat or anything like that. Please respond as I can use the helpful info. Thank you, MuzzleMan51

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

HI MuzzleMan51,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club, it’s free now. Then join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

I think most folks have one made by welder or shop and also go for 2". I'm sure you will get more info from our other members soon.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm going to let some of the other guys answer the question about the rear hitch, but I do happen to know about another RV club in Colorado you can join.

And best of all . . . IT'S FREE!

The Heartland Owner's Club (HOC) has a very active Colorado Chapter that has several events each year, and we all are now long-time friends and have a blast at our camping rallies!

Matter of fact, this Saturday (tomorrow) the Colorado HOC Chapter is having a Meet & Greet at the Rock Bottom Restaurant just across County Line Road from the Park Meadow's Mall in Lone Tree right at I-25 by the Ikea Store.

Here is a link to the meet and greet info: https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...et-n-Greet-CO-Centennial-2-3-2018-to-2-3-2018

Starts at 1 p.m. if you can make it!

I'll be there around 1:30 p.m. . . . hope to see you there!

Jimtoo has provided a link in his post so you can check out joining the club.

danemayer

Hi MuzzleMan51,

Not a lot of us are putting more than a few bikes on receiver hitches - even 2" receiver hitches. But you will see a few people towing boats, or 4x4s or other things.

There are several issues of concern.

Some jurisdictions don't allow multiple towed vehicles. Some have total length restrictions. You'll have to evaluate the risk of violating law wherever you plan on towing.

From a load standpoint, there's no standard receiver hitch; you'll have to get something fabricated.

Lippert made the frame on your RV and if you call them, they will tell you what you're planning is not supported by them - that the frame could be damaged. Obviously since you have a 2009, this isn't a warranty issue. But if you had a frame problem, even on a 2009, and hadn't made any alterations, there's a good chance Lippert would help you out as a good will accommodation. If you add a receiver hitch so you can tow 800 lbs., they are very unlikely to help you in any way if there's a problem. Maybe a big deal; maybe not. You'll have to decide.