Traveling in cold weather

bigdob24

Does anyone travel with the furnace running to keep a reasonable temp inside?
We are leaving the day after XMas if the weather holds .
There is a major storm for the north east and we maybe right on the edge. Wont have to go very far south to escape the winter mix .
would like to have the RV somewhat warm for the overnight stay.
I used to run the gen and air in my weekend warrior going down the road, but never the furnace.
Thanks
Dan

danemayer

Hi Dan,

The furnace will warm things up very quickly while you're setting up. It's way faster than cooling the coach during summer.

While towing, if temps are going to be below freezing, keep an eye on the inside temperature. If the inside gets down below 40 (F) you might want to run the furnace a bit to keep faucets and water valves from freezing.

bigdob24

It's winterized now and I have to get way south before cleaning and sanitizing the water system. So water is not an issue.
It will be below 32 when we leave I'm sure.
Just wondered if anyone has left the furnace on and turned to 50-55 while traveling south to escape this miserable thing called winter;-)

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Really?? 3 of my 5 registers are covered by the slides. Other posts on this forum discourage blocking air flow from the furnace. Why would this be any different???

kkamshop

My slides go over the furnace registers but are 3 inches above them allowing air to flow out from under them.

pegmikef

Just wondered if anyone has left the furnace on and turned to 50-55 while traveling south to escape this miserable thing called winter;-)

I have done that several times by error with no apparent problems. In my case it was inadvertent because we aren't really used to much travel in colder climates and I usually forget to turn it off (unless it happens to be running when we are packing up).

danemayer

Really?? 3 of my 5 registers are covered by the slides. Other posts on this forum discourage blocking air flow from the furnace. Why would this be any different???
None of my registers are blocked when the slides are in. Probably varies by floorplan.

Wharton

As soon as DW gets into the trailer she turns on the furnace. By the time the slides are out and we are set up we are warm. We just keep our coats on for the time it takes to set up.

Westwind

We travel to Florida (Dec.-Jan.) timeframe, used to have nothing on, consented to putting the refer on gas (last year I was 16 degrees). We stay in a hotel the first night because temps are still freezing and we push hard and drive at least 10 hours the first day. No setting up the first night helps us avoid un-winterizing the trailer. By the second night we make it to Florida/Georgia line and we can set up - I watch the temps and I have turned on the Refer but not the furnace. Between the Elec. Fireplace and furnace we can warm the trailer quickly. For those who will use them - an electric blanket helps.

caissiel

We just came down to Florida in the cold. We run the furnace only when parked in our 3500RL till about 60 at night and shut it off till morning where we bring it to 68. Flannel blankets and slides all in. We have never winterized the unit but emptied the water tank for below 5f deg nights. We sleep in the unit every night.
Last year we had snow as far south as North Carolina. So be ready.