Traveling with Frig on?

BNK9

Im new to the RV world. Does it hurt anything to travel with the frig running while traveling?:confused:

danemayer

Hi BNK9,

Some travel with frig on, some with it off. The main thing to be concerned about is refueling your truck near the open flame on the back of the refrigerator when it's running on propane.

If you are pumping gasoline, you need to shut off the refrigerator before pumping. Gasoline vapors are very explosive. Diesel less so, but many people, and all fire safety people would say to shut off the frig anytime you're refueling, any kind of fuel.

BNK9

Thanks, thats what I figured. Being in fire safety, I knew about the fueling issue, but wasnt sure about the hauling part.

ILH

If you are pumping gasoline, you need to shut off the refrigerator before pumping. Gasoline vapors are very explosive. Diesel less so, but many people, and all fire safety people would say to shut off the frig anytime you're refueling, any kind of fuel.

I was at Costco the other night filling my wife's van. I couldn't believe the guy beside me - he was smoking while standing there filling his car with gas.

There was an episode on Mythbusters a while ago where they tried to ignite diesel leaking from a tank.If I recall correctly, they couldn't get it to light. I know that with enough heat (or compression) it will ignite, but generally speaking it is much safer than gasoline.

Sorry - a bit off topic... yes, I also travel with my fridge on.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Been traveling with the fridge on for over 30 years now. Never had anything rip, rattle, fall off or blow up yet.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Being in fire safety, I knew about the fueling issue, but wasnt sure about the hauling part.

I travel with my propane turned off and the Frig turned off. Seeing how you are in fire safety here is a websit you might be intrested in..
Mac The Fire Guy.. Check out Fact #8....

Make up your own mind.

BC

DW_Gray

I used to travel with the fridge on but not anymore for safety reasons. And being the Heartland Highlights safety writer, I suppose I should practice what I write. Besides, as long as you leave the doors shut for the day's trip, the food stays cold enough. Also, turn the propane tanks off.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Hi BNK9,

Some travel with frig on, some with it off. The main thing to be concerned about is refueling your truck near the open flame on the back of the refrigerator when it's running on propane.

Depending on where you stop to fuel, even though you are pumping Diesel someone could be pumping gas right next to the 'fridge on the other side of the pump island.
I have to admit that I hadn't considered this aspect of running the 'fridge on the road. I'll adjust my travel habits!

Sumo

I also liked "Mac the Fire Guys" point #15. Develop a plan of action before a fire occurs.

rick_debbie_gallant

Still traveling with fridge on. I will turn it off when on ferries and in tunnels. LEL AND UEL are pretty narrow for gasoline plus the fact it is heaver than air (the vapors) one would almost have to spray the fuel nozzle into the fridge. Just my humble opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2