Trip to Colorado 2011

wcb

Here are the pictures of my solar system. It's a 135W Kyocera panel and Morningstar SunSaver MPPT charge controller. I used AWG 6 for all conductors. The panel is positioned on the roof so that the custom aluminum brackets (my creation) bolt into the wood at the top of the hallway walls. The wire from the panel is routed through the roof at the corner of the bedroom TV cabinet near the hallway wall. The wire from the charge controller drops down through the TV cabinet to the electrical panels that the OEM converter ties into. Two group 27 batteries barely squeeze into the battery bay on the front of the RV and supply about 180 AH. I've boon-docked up to a week parked in partial shade and it meets all our needs just fine (have seen 11 amps going into the batteries from the panel in the desert). Replacing lots of the incandescent bulbs with LEDs really helps make the batteries last the night (I think we use about 30 AH per day in mild weather).

Solar Panel Roof Position 2012-01-29.JPG

Solar panel mounted so it lines up with hallway walls (looking toward front of RV).

Solar Panel Curb Side 2012-01-29.JPG

Curb side of solar panel showing 1.5" aluminum angle bar that is bolted to the top of the interior walls with 6" lag bolts.

Solar Panel Closeup 2012-01-29.JPG

Closeup of SS screws with lock washers attaching the solar panel to the brackets (there are SS nut clips on the solar panel frame).

Solar Panel cabling 2012-01-29.JPG

Closeup of the wiring from the panel going into the RV roof. Lots of Dicor to avoid any leaks.

Charge Controller Location 2012-01-29.JPG

Morningstar charge controller in bedroom cabinet.

Charge Controller Closeup 2012-01-29.JPG

Closeup of charge controller (all conductors are AWG 6). Had to grind down the spade connectors to fit into the SunSaver.

Charge Controller Location  2012-01-29.JPG

SunSaver panel located on hallway wall.

Charge Controller Panel Closeup 2012-01-29.JPG

Closeup of SunSaver panel showing 18.69 volts from solar panel and a full charge on the batteries.

Battery Bank (group 27 x 2) 2012-01-29.JPG

Two group 27 batteries in battery boxes just fit in the battery bay of the 26 LRSS.

wcb

My 'manual' porch light switch in our 26 LRSS; to avoid having to fuss with the wireless remote (which is a pain to use because of the user unfriendly start-up).

The photo of the inside of the sink cabinet shows the connection points for wiring the switch in parallel with the wireless control unit. The wire on the right is connected to the positive 12 volt feed for the control unit and the left wire is connected to the output connector that goes to the porch light from the control unit.

Porch Light Location 2012-01-29.JPG

Porch Light Switch Closeup 2012-01-29.JPG

Porch Light Wiring 2012-01-29.JPG

wcb

I look forward to the Pics as well and am interested in the solar install. Great looking rig and scenery.
Like RuralPastor we all have the same trailer,i find it interesting your window sizes (rear side,bed room) are different in the same model year. Yours look larger, you got lucky !

Looking for clarification on your flashers 30-40 comment as i have been looking at a 5.7L gasser. Were you feeling underpowered or just not wanting to miss any of the view ?

I was just keeping the RPM under 3500 to take it easy on the engine and save a little gas. But we weren't in any hurry either, because the scenery was very nice.

I could have pushed the Tundra harder but I love her too much to put the spurs to her just to prove a point.

Tool958

Thanks for posting the pictures. Gives me some good ideas. Got several projects in mind. Now, just to find the time to do them.

OBX-GL

Thanks wcb.

I am saving your pics and info as it will be very helpful. Also, love the switch for the outside light as i agree the remote only control sucks.

Thanks again !