Trip to James Island Park SC

bozo

We are going to James Island Campground Charelston SC. the week before Christmas. If you have been to the park what did you think about the park. That time of year they have in the park what they call "Festival of Lights". I was woundering about the traffic at that time. Will it be bad? and can you get in and out of the campground without going postal if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance for any info.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I can't give you any info about the park but we are in Oak Plantation Campground which is on Savannah Hwy (17) and Main Rd. Traffic between here and Charleston seems to always be heavy but it moves pretty good. We ventured out to Folly Beach a few days ago and again heavy but fairly good moving traffic. I think the Festival of Lights has already started and we plan on going to see it. I'll come back with a report when we do.
There is loads of history here and some very scenic roads on the islands.

cjhicks

We have stayed at James Island County Park several times. We like it very much as there are several Bike and hiking trails in the park. There is also a "Dog Beach" if you travel with pets. Have not been there for the Christmas Light Show, also it is very convenient to Downtown Charleston.

bozo

Thanks Guys and looking forward to your report on the light show Ray. We are heading to Fall Creek Falls Tn this weekend. We will be ther all next week if you like to Hike you need to try that place sometime. We were ther last Thanksgiving week and when we pulled in only 5-10 campers in the whole place you talk about peacefull. HAPPY CAMPING!!!!!!!!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Bozo - if you haven't been to the Festival of Lights at James Island Park - it's a treat!!! I have family that live in the area so camping in the park has not been an issue but I understand they are booked up to a year in advance. Plus the traffic is pretty long getting into the park in the evenings Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday so be patient.

Welcome to TN!!! Fall Creek Falls in a great place to camp and enjoy the outdoors. I didn't realize that the park was that sparse this time of year. Hum - have to think about heading there soon.

Enjoy and travel safely.

bozo

Nabo you got to try Fall Creek Falls this time of year it is great. We plan on doing about 4 miles a day on the trails the temp is going to be in the 60s most of the week. Thanks for the info Happy Camping!!!!!!