Tripping Breaker? Electrical Question

Redrider007

I have been boon docking for a few months and alternating between my on- board 5500watt lp generator and my Honda 3000 generator (Easier to fill gas gen than taking tanks every week) So while using my Honda I can hear , what I believe is a transfer switch) switch over. Now when this happens with the Honda Gen is sounds like a slow switch as to when its the on board gen it is a sudden slam sound. After a while when I ran 1 ac, the Honda started to throw its circuit breaker. I am assuming this would happen because of the start up wattage required for the AC but after a while it happened all the time so I stopped using the Honda. Today I ran one ac with the Onan 5500 and then kicked the other AC on and when the compressor came on it sounded like that switch was having a seizure then both Acs kicked off. I can run one no problem but not both where before it wasn't an issue. It sounds to me like maybe the "switch" has gotten "weak" for a lack of better terms.

Can someone confirm that this is what it sounds like or provide some advice?

Thanks in advance!!

danemayer

You could be having chattering or related problems with the automatic transfer switch. Loose wires inside the transfer switch could be the cause. Pages 10 and 11 of our Electrical user guide have information you may find helpful.

Disconnect shore power before opening the transfer switch and make sure no one helps you by plugging it back in while you're working.

Redrider007

You could be having chattering or related problems with the automatic transfer switch. Loose wires inside the transfer switch could be the cause. Pages 10 and 11 of our Electrical user guide have information you may find helpful.

Disconnect shore power before opening the transfer switch and make sure no one helps you by plugging it back in while you're working.

Thanks for the assist!!!

danemayer

Quick question: I am assuming the load click I hear when the transfer switch switches over to gen power is normal. It has done this since install.
The transfer switch has contactors that can make a pretty noticeable clunk when activating either on shore power or on generator power.