Troubles Insuring New Duallies

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Re: UK Insurance Companies....Mmmm

Ok - I'm back to the insurance thang. I don't have a dually but I do have a one ton truck and have State Farm as our carrier. They haven't had a problem with the 1 tonner or the combo of the rig and truck. Another words, they do not charge commercial rates.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

I just bought my 1 Ton Dually and have USAA for insurance. Did it on line and no one ever saw my truck.

beasleyrl

I was told by my insurance company that the new truck I have on order, due to it's weight rating, requires a commercial insurance policy. eeeerrrgghhhhhhh.
Try AON (they write Progressive policies). I had the Cyclone with them. Truck was a Chev 3500 Dually and was with Progressive direct (not through AON). Got same response you did from Progressive direct when I got the F450. Called AON and they insured F450 (dually) with the trailer for about half what I was paying for original 3500 policy with Progressive direct. Should I say again... AON wrote a Progressive policy. Tell me how that makes sense?!?!? Bigger truck, more weight, same coverage, same company, less money!

I recently traded my chev 3500 for f ford F550. My insurance agent told me I would have to have a commercial policy for the new truck because of its weight. I think most insurance companies follow that reasoning. The cost was more than I was paying but not excessively so.

wdk450

I know that the State of California classifies my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Diesel as a commercial truck and I pay excessive registration fees ($670) which include weight penalties. Maybe the insurance companies follow the lead of the Government.

Delaine and Lindy

Duane, I would call RV Exployer you can get the RV and F-450 insured, and it might save you some money. I insured the Freightliner and the Mobile Suites there. We just changed to USAA, because when we bought a 2011 Buick the Dealership was giving $700.00 discount if you insured with USAA. Many of the Insurance companies don't know what their talking about. I do know Cal. it was a problem for some. You for sure don't want to get Commerical Ins. There are several companies that will know how to insure your Truck. Does people not understand why when GM was selling the 4500 and 5500 kept the Gross weight below 26,000 lbs??? I had Allstate for one year about 20 years ago and never again.. Good Luck... Happy Trails....

Delaine and Lindy

Oh, I just registered my 2012 Chevy 3500HD and it cost $24.50 a year for tags.. I know Cal. is really after every dollar they can get. Happy Trails....

hoefler

It has a lot to do with the agent writing the policy. Some just assume when you buy a truck with training wheels, it is automatically a commercial vehicle. With 100/300/100, uninsured, and under insured, and $250 comp, $500 collision deductible, my 2010 crew cab dually is $21.98 a moth more than my 04 Tahoe. Everything we have is with State Farm except life insurance and the business liability and worker comp. The truck sees over 30,000 miles a year while the Tahoe gets less than 8,000 miles.

ParkIt

Some of this is a year old and things might have changed since the original poster asked about insurance (and the hijack/merging thread).
In 2004 we went from Allstate after 19 years to USAA, a few things had changed in our state and insurance overall which allowed for Allstate to hike rates even though there'd been no claims since 1989 with a hit and run driver (state patrol just happened to see it so it was verified I did everything I could to avoid getting hit). I couldn't follow the convoluted math that doubled our rates so I called USAA.

Enter the recently acquired monster hybrid Ford powerstroke and USAA insurance...at first they weren't sure if we needed an underwriter for an older duely but once they checked they could insure it like any other HD truck even though its a converted ambulance. No under writing required and the rate is pretty cheap for full coverage. The part that baffled me is USAA not only insures the truck but the trailer as well (not contents!) as an all in one package, not sure if its USAA that does this but the more popular HD trucks are getting, the more you can shop around for coverage without your knee hitting the desk when they give you a quote.
Not sure if its just me but I call every October to negotiate or adjust our insurance - fiscal year and all that - have saved quite a bit by asking first before they try a rate hike for whatever reason.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Aye Aye, we have State Farm and our policy is on the truck and trailer separately unless they are hooked up then the truck policy covers the trailer. They didn't give any problems and this was a 2nd F350 added to the policy. We've also never had them come close to not covering a claim, that is as long as you don't have over 4 in a year which we haven't. We also have Farmer's on my wifes SUV and they've been great at covering claims. A deer ran into the passenger door while on vacation, **** I was going to leave the hair that was stuck in the door trim and show them the pics but they laughed and said it wasn't needed, "we believe you, stop worrying" lol.

I had Allstate when I bought my 1st car and they were ridiculously overpriced, I stuck with them for 4 years then switched to USAA when I bought my next car and the price dropped tremendously. For whatever reason I again changed to Travelers when I bought my next two brand new cars and they were quite cheap but I'm not sure how happy I would've been if I ever had a claim. Next went to Statefarm on the 2 Super Duties, stepsons car, ATV's, RV and regular pull trailer and they've been awesome.

We do have a great relationship with our agent which I believe helps a bit, he'll fight for anything we need and he gets it done without us having to do anything. Same with our Farmer's agent. Believe it or not they usually call us once a year or every other and let us know our price dropped, we've never gone up and we have one of the bigger policies about 500k+ coverage.