Truck bouncing while towing

Micahluna

Just picked up a Torque T32 today with a 2017 F-250 turbo diesel.

2 hour ride home and the truck was bouncing which made for an uncomfortable ride. It was windy and we had sway bars installed by the dealer.

Maybe its not not set up right or we need stabilizing bars (don't know much about them). Thoughts? Thanks!

schew

My truck is a 2014 f250 abd my trailer is the T31.
Mine is bouncy but not uncomfortable as you described.
It smoothed out a fair amount once I had water in my tank and loaded up my side x side in the garage.
It is my understanding that toy haulers are front heavy to help counter the weight of your toys in the rear and it is possible that your WD hitch needs to be adjusted. Is your truck level when hitched?

Micahluna

My truck is a 2014 f250 abd my trailer is the T31.
Mine is bouncy but not uncomfortable as you described.
It smoothed out a fair amount once I had water in my tank and loaded up my side x side in the garage.
It is my understanding that toy haulers are front heavy to help counter the weight of your toys in the rear and it is possible that your WD hitch needs to be adjusted. Is your truck level when hitched?

The truck looks pretty level. I'd say a bit lower in the back. Not much though. I'll post some pics when I get to a computer.

Makes sense with the front being weighted. What's a WD hitch?

'Lil Guy'

The WDH distributes the weight back from the hitch. It can be adjusted to level the trailer and our truck. The sway bar set up for them is a cheap aid in towing. If you don't have the WDH, I think that will solve your problem.

schew

The truck looks pretty level. I'd say a bit lower in the back. Not much though. I'll post some pics when I get to a computer.

Makes sense with the front being weighted. What's a WD hitch?

A weight distribution hitch takes some of the tongue weight and transfers it to your front axles. Check out the link to view this type of hitch..

https://www.google.com/search?q=weight+distributionhitch&client=ms-android-att-us&source=android-browser&prmd=smivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjtoYaI9rrTAhUK_mMKHVHOALUQ_AUICSgD&biw=360&bih=615#imgrc=QHE7cFkB03XwdM:

Imagine those wd bars are the handles on a wheelbarrow and the wheel is your front tire. When adjusted correctly, upward force is applied to them -much like as if you were to pick up the wheel barrow by the handles. When doing so, the weight in the wheel barrel ( or tongue weight) is transfered onto the wheels, or your front axle.

'Lil Guy'

A weight distribution hitch takes some of the tongue weight and transfers it to your front axles. Check out the link to view this type of hitch..

https://www.google.com/search?q=wei...AUICSgD&biw=360&bih=615#imgrc=QHE7cFkB03XwdM:

Imagine those wd bars are the handles on a wheelbarrow and the wheel is your front tire. When adjusted correctly, upward force is applied to them -much like as if you were to pick up the wheel barrow by the handles. When doing so, the weight in the wheel barrel ( or tongue weight) is transfered onto the wheels, or your front axle.

Yea, this is what I meant to say.lol Evenly distributes your weight from front to back on TV.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
And having the WD hooked up and adjusted properly is a big must!

I see more trailers going down the road with a WD setup, but is pretty obvious that they are not adjusted correctly.

And most of the time when you try to tell them that their setup isn't right, they usually get defensive.

So I rarely ever mention it anymore.

The idea is to transfer trailer weight through the hitch to the truck frame so that the truck is level when hitched up.

Of course, the trailer needs to also be level when being towed.

I used to have a DrawTite WD setup with a Reese sway bar:

NewTruckHitchInAZ.jpg OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg

WDhitchsetup-P1000277.jpg

EB3

When we picked up our 36 foot NT tt the dealer set up the WD. The truck and trailer were level to the eye, but the truck front end floated at highway speeds. Had the rig weighed at a rally by Escapees they suggested to move the torsion bars up a notch moving more weight to front wheels. What a difference no floating. I am a firm believer in weighing you find out how much weight each wheel is carrying. Level is good but not the whole story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fastcarsspeed

We have a 2010 small outback 230rs with a 2011 F350. The TT is super light and without a Weight Distribution Hitch it was horrible towing. I would recommend you spend the money and get the equalizer hitch. It is simple to install the you will never feel the TT back there going down the road.

EB3

I have the Equalizer 10000# we tow 8800# NT tt F150 maxtow. The hitch come 3 different weights . Be sure you get the right size. When can have the rig weighed. Your might want to visit the Equalizer website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk