Truck brakes

wdk450

Just as a comparison, my 2011 Ram had 113,000 miles when I sold it and the brakes were like new according to the dealer. My 2004 Ram had 187,000 miles and the original brakes when I sold it. I am guessing the Ram exhaust brake makes a big difference in brake wear where as Ford does not have that option.

I might add, I am rural and very little town driving!

If the Ford truck owner is interested in exhaust brakes, they are available as an aftermarket add-on. Just do a websearch.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I just had lunch with Rick today and his dealer said he could not add an aftermarket exhaust brake on his 2013 Ford. The reason is the way Ford runs the exhaust...
He would love to add this if possible.....if you have a vendor, post it so for him.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Were the rotors warped or worn that thin that you replaced them at 59K? Was that for all 4 rotors? I don't recall ever replacing rear rotors on any vehicle I've owned. Fronts...yes, especially GM products!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I should clarify this post somewhat, One rotor was severally worn due to a bad caliper so I changed everything on both sides. I did not visually inspect the non problem side only the hung up caliper side which was making noise and the rotor was severally warn. SO now saying that maybe I did not really need breaks due to normal wear and tear but I needed brakes do to a mechanical problem. :confused: Yeah that's it!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Guess I should clarify this post somewhat, One rotor was severally worn due to a bad caliper so I changed everything on both sides. I did not visually inspect the non problem side only the hung up caliper side which was making noise and the rotor was severally warn. SO now saying that maybe I did not really need breaks due to normal wear and tear but I needed brakes do to a mechanical problem. :confused: Yeah that's it!

Yeah that's it!!! LOL!
Been there and had that happen. I completely lost a pad once and ground some really deep grooves in the rotor until I was in a location to replace. NAPA pads so NAPA replaced both pads and the rotor. Helps to keep receipts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yeah that's it!!! LOL!
Been there and had that happen. I completely lost a pad once and ground some really deep grooves in the rotor until I was in a location to replace. NAPA pads so NAPA replaced both pads and the rotor.

Helps to keep receipts.

As a side note . . .

I keep receipts for everything, and when I needed the receipt for the brake pads for my old Dodge Ram 1500 . . . the thermal receipt that was kept in the truck was totally faded!

Heat makes thermal receipts fade.

Luckily . . . Advanced Auto was able to look up the receipt on the computer!

I now scan all of my receipts on the computer as the thermal receipts we get now from almost every retailer will fade!

And, if they ask to send you an email receipt . . . do it!

At least you have a record in case you need it.

This has saved me a couple of times over the years . . .

porthole

Retired
We have a 2013 Ford F-350 srw that we use to tow our 3010re. we have 40k miles of which 20k of that is towing. We definitely tow a lot in big grades. Now that I've set the table- here's the question. We were told today by the dealer that our front brakes are at 50%. Would you consider this normal or excessive wear?
looking for opinions... Please and thank you

Yes, no, maybe.
There really is no cut and dried answer. How you drive, what you tow, your environment, the type of pad material, are the pads riveted or glued on to the backing plate etc.

I did the front and rear brakes on the F-350 at 45K. Half of the pad surface area was gone. Not the thickness, the swept area. Looks like it was falling apart to due to corrosion.
AT 64K I changed the front pads and rotors, the rotors had some hot spots on them and pulsated under hard braking.

Changing those pads was the worst brake job I have done in my life, and auto service was my prior career.
Deb's 2008 MKX with 33K, front pads and rotors, pads were metal to metal on one side.
My 2006 GMC I never touched the brakes.
My 1999 Tahoe I changed the front and rear pads around 40K. Then after that I was changing pads every10-12K and replacing or cutting the rotors at each pad change.
Before that I pretty much didn't keep a vehicle long enough to change brakes.

My point is, too many variables.

Not to hyjack the thread, but I just had my brakes inspected along with my oil & Fuel filter change. They said I am at 50% to 60%. At what wear % would you suggest it is time to replace brakes? I am pulling at my trucks maximum capacity. I will keep up on the trailer brakes as well. My 5er is just 2 years on the road. I am thinking 25%? Brakes are important.

Rule of thumb I have always for myself or customers was when the pad thickness was equal to the backing plate thickness, it is time to consider replacing the pads. How soon depends on whether they are riveted or glued on.

46,000 on our 2013. Plenty of pad left. I wouldn't worry about it. They will start to sound a squeal when they get down to the wear button. They'll still have miles on them, but will allow a reasonable period of time to schedule a brake job.

Personally, I would not depend on the "squealer" to determine when it was time for brakes.

On all of my other vehicles the front brakes went first but on my F350 I have already replaced the rear brakes. Did this at about 45k.

Ditto

Recently replaced my F350's rear pads (DIY job) at 59K, probably half those miles towing, based on the truck's last "The Works" dealer service/inspection that indicated they were in the "keep an eye on them" stage. My PA state inspection was due and we were planning our current trip so I bought new pads before I pulled a wheel. Still had miles to go but I notice I have a fuller/stiffer pedal when braking.

Just changing out brake pads shouldn't not result in a different pedal feel unless there is an issue with your calipers, or the brake pad quality is vastly different.

On our previous truck when brakes were needed, went with Hawk Super Duty brake pads. Like night and day difference. Since our new to us truck has 52k on it, decided to go ahead and switch the pads to Hawk before our next big trip this Thanksgiving.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance-street/pads/superduty

My 45K brake job was with the Hawks. The 64K job was with Standard Advanced Auto pads. No difference felt.
The main reason I would not use the Hawks again is they did not come with the spring clips, anti rattle hardware. Those items should be replaced with every pad change.

If the Ford truck owner is interested in exhaust brakes, they are available as an aftermarket add-on. Just do a websearch.

I just had lunch with Rick today and his dealer said he could not add an aftermarket exhaust brake on his 2013 Ford. The reason is the way Ford runs the exhaust...
He would love to add this if possible.....if you have a vendor, post it so for him.

BD-Power has an electronic turbo brake, similar to what is on the 2015+ Fords and the GM's and Ram's for the last couple of years.
I have it on my truck now and have some issues. BD just sent me a revised controller which is going in the truck in about an hour.

BD-Power 6.7 Turbo brake

. . . the thermal receipt that was kept in the truck was totally faded!

Heat makes thermal receipts fade.. .

My part time job used thermal credit card receipts. They fade even when kept in a conditioned office file cabinet.