Truck recalls, and more recalls

sengli

I have a 2014 RAM 3500 DRW, and I have recently been deluged upon with recall notice after recall notice. Most of the most recent recalls have been software updates to various modules. The latest one is somewhat of an eye opener. R46 is its number.... Its specifically for 2013, and 2014 2500-3500's. Its about a bracket that if improperly welded on the frame, at the factory...can come loose causing the steering to become mushy and can cause a wreck. At the moment they are saying they dont have the parts for the fix, so its a wait and see notice. Anyone else seen this issue?

There is a NHTSA file on this this too.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Recalls, and more recalls

I got the recall notice last week. I'll just take it in when I'm notified that parts are available.
I have not heard of anyone having a problem with it so I'm not real concerned.
Software updates took about 10 minutes and other than the radio they have all been updated.
Radio not done per my choice as I have other software installed and didn't want to re-do that.

Peace
Dave

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

I also have the same recall as well as recall R23 (software), R36 (steering wheel wire harness) and R40 (radio software vulnerabilities). WOW Hey at least they are finding the problems and letting us know.

TxCowboy

The lighter RAM trucks also have had a few recalls recently. My 1500 Longhorn is affected by three recalls: R23 (Reprogram the Restraint Module), R40 (Radio), and R36 (Steering Wheel Wiring).

The R40 was easy so I did that myself. Downloaded the software from the RAM website to a thumb drive then plugged it in to the truck. Easy Peasy. Of course, a week later RAM mailed me a card that had a one-time use card that did the same thing.

At least RAM is on top of their product and has the processes in place to fix them.

sengli

I agree that FCA is keeping us informed on these recalls. That all good. The steering issue is kinda scary. I looked under my truck and found the bracket that I think they are referring to. Mines seems like it is welded alright, but having fail would be terrible especially while towing the coach.

GOTTOYS

I HAD a 2010 Ram. I waited one year for the parts for the steering linkage recall a couple of years back. Dealer claimed they were on order but they were hard to get. The recall dealt with a tie rod separation on the left tie rod end. When I told them I was leaving for the Winter to pull our trailer down South they said not to worry it usually only falls apart during slow hard left turns...Wasn't that reassuring. If they had made the parts available sooner none of this buy back thing would have surfaced..It appears to me they have a terrible record of getting these recalls done. I took a beating trading my Ram off. Very poor resale value but I feel a lot safer driving my MADE IN AMERICA Chevrolet...JMHO...Don

sengli

Looks like the parts for the R46 recall on the steering bracket recall might be in finally. Received another notice from FCA about this stating the dealer can reserve the parts now. Said the time to install is 3+ plus hours. Hope this is something substantial. This steering bracket issue worries me. On the RAM forums there was a guy in washington, had his fail, and ultimately FCA tried to buy the truck back unsuccessfully. So they replaced the entire frame of the truck under warranty!

Attachments

• IMAG0269.jpg
    IMAG0269.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 79

wdk450

It's been about a year since I went in about the airbag recall on my 2004. I have yet to receive the call from the dealer in Yuba City, Ca. that my name has come to the top of the list for the needed part.

sengli

They added two additional brackets added to re-enforce the current bracket, that is welded to the frame rail the new parts are bolted to the cross member under the engine now.

JanAndBill

I HAD a 2010 Ram. I waited one year for the parts for the steering linkage recall a couple of years back. Dealer claimed they were on order but they were hard to get. The recall dealt with a tie rod separation on the left tie rod end. When I told them I was leaving for the Winter to pull our trailer down South they said not to worry it usually only falls apart during slow hard left turns...Wasn't that reassuring. If they had made the parts available sooner none of this buy back thing would have surfaced..It appears to me they have a terrible record of getting these recalls done. I took a beating trading my Ram off. Very poor resale value but I feel a lot safer driving my MADE IN AMERICA Chevrolet...JMHO...Don

Don when we recently took quotes on a new 1 ton. One of the questions asked, was "where will truck be assembled". I was kind of surprised when the Chevy dealer said Mexico. I know a previous GM product we owned was assembled in Mexico. We ended up going with Ford for several reasons, but it's made me so paranoid that I've been a pest with the Ford dealer verifying that our truck is actually being built in Louisville LOL

ram_1955

Don when we recently took quotes on a new 1 ton. One of the questions asked, was "where will truck be assembled". I was kind of surprised when the Chevy dealer said Mexico. I know a previous GM product we owned was assembled in Mexico. We ended up going with Ford for several reasons, but it's made me so paranoid that I've been a pest with the Ford dealer verifying that our truck is actually being built in Louisville LOL

if you are getting an F250 F350 F450 they are built in Louisville, KY only place Ford builds these for the Us and I think the Canada market. I ordered my F350 back in Dec 2015 took 10 weeks and 2 days to e built and delivered just south of Atlanta, GA

PM me when you get it ordered and I will get you a link to a Ford rep that will give you up dates on build status

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

My 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD was built in Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg TruckTopper-IMG_20141004_142131159.jpg NewTruckAtCherryCreek-IMG_20140909_183951592.jpg NewTruck2500HDsm-IMG_20140822_202351380.jpg

Kbvols

Both Chevy dura max diesels I have owned were built in Flint MI. I believe Ram is the only heavy duty truck built in Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dean-Pam

It looks like it doesn't matter who's truck you buy, just purchased a 2015 Silverado 3500 in January and recently received a recall notice about the brake pedal bolt. Seems they need to check the nut on the pivot bolt due to the fact it could come off and impacting ability to brake. I don't even get excited anymore...

JanAndBill

if you are getting an F250 F350 F450 they are built in Louisville, KY only place Ford builds these for the Us and I think the Canada market. I ordered my F350 back in Dec 2015 took 10 weeks and 2 days to e built and delivered just south of Atlanta, GA

PM me when you get it ordered and I will get you a link to a Ford rep that will give you up dates on build status
Truck has been on order for some time. I'ts at the plant now, with a delivery date here of April 5th. As to the build location of the Chevy, I'm just repeating what the dealer told me. That wasn't the only reason we went with the Ford. A substantial difference in the price, and the lack of certain options tipped the scale to the Ford.

jimtoo

If your VIN for your truck or car starts with (1) it is built or assembled in the USA.
If your VIN for your truck or car starts with (3) it is built or assembled in Mexico.

And a lot,,,, lots... and lots of the GM pickup beds, wiring harnesses and parts are built in Mexico and shipped to the US,, but the truck is assembled in the USA.

Remember the LUV truck. All made in Japan or someplace, but the bed was not installed on the truck until it arrived in the US, then bed was installed and it was assembled in the USA.

Gaffer

The LUV truck was brought to us the makers of the Duramax.
If your VIN for your truck or car starts with (1) it is built or assembled in the USA.
If your VIN for your truck or car starts with (3) it is built or assembled in Mexico.

And a lot,,,, lots... and lots of the GM pickup beds, wiring harnesses and parts are built in Mexico and shipped to the US,, but the truck is assembled in the USA.

Remember the LUV truck. All made in Japan or someplace, but the bed was not installed on the truck until it arrived in the US, then bed was installed and it was assembled in the USA.

Aandaar

HA Feel the LUV!!!! Sorry just had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie