Trying to dry camp - running out of battery power

eddylives

Re: Trying to dry camp

With everything shut off in the trailer
Try disconnect the positive lead from the battery and place a DC amp meter in between battery and lead
This will show an excessive draw if something is live (not really sure how much parasitic draw there is....propane detector,radio etc)
Then you can start to eliminate items to track down any heavy current draw

k-krew

First of all, thank you all for your ideas. I think it's trouble shooting time and Eddylives has the right idea. What is needed is a way to measure current, the problem is I have two meters, too big and too small. From the suggestion from Caissel I did some investigating and may have found the culprit. There are heating elements built into the doors and there is no switch, however, if I'm reading the schematic correctly a piece of tape over the switch on the door frame may cure some of my problem.

Oregon_Camper

First of all, thank you all for your ideas. I think it's trouble shooting time and Eddylives has the right idea. What is needed is a way to measure current, the problem is I have two meters, too big and too small. From the suggestion from Caissel I did some investigating and may have found the culprit. There are heating elements built into the doors and there is no switch, however, if I'm reading the schematic correctly a piece of tape over the switch on the door frame may cure some of my problem.

Which refrigerator model do you have? Are you saying that taping the switch down (ie...the door is closed) would turn off the heating element? I would think that would be just the opposite.

Last edited: