TST malfunctions???

Grey Ghost

:confused: Has anyone else experienced problems with their TST system giving them really bad readings in cold weather or rain? We just returned from a trip to Yosemite and on the way back tire pressure reading on all four tires began to drop and then the alarm sounded. It was only about 65 degrees, but it had been much hotter, and it was raining pretty hard. I pulled over under an overpass on I-10 to check all four tires and they looked okay to me and I thumbed them all and they sounded okay to me. We pulled further down the road and the rain stopped so we pulled in to a station to check the pressure on each tire. They were all around 80 psi which is where I want them. We had been on the road for hours so it's not like we just started either. Just wondering if there is a problem with the system if it's raining or if the temp drops sharply because of weather conditions. The system functioned well, I think, all the way out to our destination from Phoenix, AZ. By the way, we have the system that you can add air without removing the stem, cannot remember if that is the 507 0r the 510.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
You might just have your tires set very close to the low limits. Low temps bring down tire pressure. I would check the tire pressures cold and make sure that they are not sitting a little low. If that is not it, call TST customer service. They are awesome and stand behind their products completely!!

jnbhobe

Sounds like you have your low pressure alarm set too high for the pressure your running. The low temps make for big changes.

danemayer

We pulled further down the road and the rain stopped so we pulled in to a station to check the pressure on each tire. They were all around 80 psi which is where I want them. We had been on the road for hours so it's not like we just started either.
What is the tire pressure before you start towing? If your tires have a max cold inflation of 80psi, at 70 degrees, not in the sun, before towing, the pressure should be set at 80.

If you're at 80 after several hours of towing, you're underinflated and may be damaging your tires. Tire pressure climbs quite a bit as you tow and the tire manufacturer has already taken that into account when they say inflate to 80 psi cold.

Depending on the alarm setting, the TST may just be doing its job and alerting you that you're underinflated.

If you've weighed the rig and know the individual wheel loads, and have the tire manufacturer's inflation chart, you might start out a bit lower than 80 psi, but for most of us, setting to what's stamped on the sidewall of the tire is the way to go.

ILH

I don't actually know if this is the case, but wondering if the sudden decrease in tire pressure (ie from being cooled by the rain) might have triggered the alarm. This might happen even though it is still within the safe limits. Just a thought...

camr

If you find nothing else wrong with the system or parameter settings, it may be a weak reception problem rearing it's head because of the cold or rain. We ran for three months without an issue, then began getting random warnings. I contacted TST support, who suggested installing their signal repeater. Because we hadn't had a problem for the last three months, I doubted their solution but ordered the repeater anyway. That solved the issue. Apparently on a 34 foot coach, the distance between the wheels and a Ford dash is too far. Who figured?!!!!

Dloebrich

Our pressure readings are normal but there are times when certain tires don't report for perhaps an hour or so then come back online.
We have a repeater

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you find nothing else wrong with the system or parameter settings, it may be a weak reception problem rearing it's head because of the cold or rain. We ran for three months without an issue, then began getting random warnings. I contacted TST support, who suggested installing their signal repeater. Because we hadn't had a problem for the last three months, I doubted their solution but ordered the repeater anyway. That solved the issue. Apparently on a 34 foot coach, the distance between the wheels and a Ford dash is too far. Who figured?!!!!

It's not necessarily distance, but rf interference. GPS, cell phones, OnStar, Satellite Radio, etc could be messing up the communication. A repeater solved our issues with dropped sensors and delayed readings.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have not had a problem with our TST dropping sensors or experiencing interferences. I don't have a repeater and only use the stub antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2TrakR

Have not had that issue and have run ours in freezing temps. Ours are the "mounted on the valve stem, pass through" type. Have had two batteries go bad. Do have a repeater. Without the repeater, we would not get good information. With it, all 6 tires report well. Sometimes one or two of them are "slow" to start reporting (meaning they take another 10 minutes or so compared to the rest).

Unrelated to the original post, just wanted to say how much I like the system and how much it has saved us. Great being able to see tire pressure before we leave without having to walk around and physically check each tire.