Turning radius with a shortbed truck.

DJDavis

I was told by a sales rep that the new design of the front cap on the Bighorns allows it to be towed with a shortbed WITHOUT a slider hitch.

Can you really turn 88 degrees as they advertise or is that an exageration?

jimtoo

Hi DJDavis,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Yes, you can pull a lot of the Heartland units, not just a Bighorn, with a shortbed truck and no slider hitch. Heartland RVs has a patient on the design. A lot of folks do have a slider in the short bed and have never used it.

I'm sure you will get lots of replies soon. Hope you enjoy the forum and become a member of our family.

Jim M

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Every truck/trailer combination is just a little bit different. For instance, having the hitch one inch difference in placement in the bed in identical rigs can make a difference in turning radius capabilities. That being said, I have a shortbed Ford, pulling a 38' Landmark, and I can turn pretty close to 90 degrees. Do I want to do that very often? - NO! The trailer cap is within a half inch of the truck cab when I'm turned that tight. Besides, on a paved suface a turn that sharp puts a lot of pressure on the inside turn axle and suspensions parts. By the way, I have a slider hitch and have never used it in three years.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
DJ, Yes it's all true but I've never gotten out of the truck and tried to calculate the degree of my angle while backing. As others have posted, a lot of variables can affect that angle. For instance, backing up into a low site or over a hump will affect how close the front cap comes to the rear window.
My first truck was a short bed extended cab Chevy. It did not have a slider hitch. I never had a problem. I changed trucks due to weight capacity.

Jimmy

Yes its so, I do it all the time, I do have a slider hitch, used it once so far. But like I always say "It is better have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. If in doubt, get the slider...

lwmcguir

We could easily jacknife our Augusta with our 5thAirborne hitch pin at 90 degrees with the F250 SB. Do you really want to? As the other poster noted, better be on gravel. The odds of bending somthing on pavement are fairly high and it is hard on tires/bearings. The front cap design is a great feature and one we liked very well over the Yellowstone as it let me keep the tool box in place. With the LB now it wouldn't matter.

Duramax1

Yes its so, I do it all the time, I do have a slider hitch, used it once so far. But like I always say "It is better have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. If in doubt, get the slider...

You are attempting to justify your unnecessary expense in your "quote".

Just suck it up and say that it is not necessary

Rodney_M

I have a shortbed f250 and went ahead and got the slider just in case I get into a spot I may need it but havent had to move it yet. I was very skeptical as well but ive had to get very close to 90 a few times and never required sliding. I think I would still get the slider regardless since who knows what the future holds. I may need to move a friends trailer or trade for one that needs the slide.

Bobby A

We had to put the 88 degree turning radius to the test last week on our way from MI. to Fl. We have a Dodge Mega cab and I literally had it jack knifed to get out of a tough spot. I didn't hit, but I stopped just in the nick of time. I was on dirt/gravel. My only other choice would of been to back up about 100 yards into a fairly busy road, which I would of done if I didn't have that wonderful cap on the horn. So, YES, its true,

loafer

We have a short box 2007 GMC and tow a 2009 sundance 24/5 for a year now and never have we needed a slider even though the truck came with it.

Nice to have the slider when needed but it would be an extreme situation to get to that point .
Slider is not required IMHO
Good luck
Bill

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Had a S/B when we bought the Horn. Bought a slider and in 4 years have never used it. We have to make MORE than a 88* turn on our street to back in the driveway. I KNOW its been more that 90* many times.

Jimmy

You are attempting to justify your unnecessary expense in your "quote".

Just suck it up and say that it is not necessary

Thanks for your "friendly" reply, I did not pay anything for the slider, but as stated, I would get one if I did not have one.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have an 09 Dodge 3500 and haven't had any problems making a tight turn with a standard Reese hitch. With the new Dodge (2011-2012), I would question it. The bed box is much smaller than mine because Dodge increased the back seating area (I guess) to accommodate larger people. This puts the cab closer to the rear wheel base which is where most hitches are put. Maybe someone who has bought a new Dodge can chime it and let you know.

sjs731

I have had my 3300CK at 88+ degrees with my 2007 GMC SB. I would say I was over 88 degrees once on grass in a campground and cleared just barely. The part that didn't clear was the plastic cover on the pin rubs on the rail for my Lund roll up tonneau cover. If I didn't have the tonneau cover on the bed I think it would clear the bed rail. However I like to keep my B&W hitch looking nice so I keep in covered when not in use.

Duramax1

Thanks for your "friendly" reply, I did not pay anything for the slider, but as stated, I would get one if I did not have one.

It was not my intention to offend you.

But as noted in many posts on this subject, slider hitches are very expensive to purchase and very heavy to install and remove.

So because of the additional up front cost and the ongoing extra effort, prospective purchasers should be very confident a benefit will be realized when considering such a purchase. Especially when Heartland's claim to fame is the patented 88 degree turning ability.

It is really quite scary when you look at the shape of the tires when turning that sharp.

Rodney_M

It was not my intention to offend you.

But as noted in many posts on this subject, slider hitches are very expensive to purchase and very heavy to install and remove.

So because of the additional up front cost and the ongoing extra effort, prospective purchasers should be very confident a benefit will be realized when considering such a purchase. Especially when Heartland's claim to fame is the patented 88 degree turning ability.

It is really quite scary when you look at the shape of the tires when turning that sharp.

I think I may have paid around 200.00 more for my slider hitch than the fixed unit the dealership recommended. They recommended a 16k non-slider but I got the 20k reese hitch with slide. Maybe i just got a good deal on the hitch if this isnt normal cost difference. I really wouldnt consider that a huge increase in cost vs the damage I might could do to my truck if I got into a tight area and needed a slide to get out... but then again one persons opinion of expensive may be cheap to another.

Doral

Hey Rodney....This is Pete Peterson, code name Doral....Hey my wife and I just purchased a 38 Cyclone 2012 HD from a dealer here in Utah....So reading your comment,,,,I have a Ford 350 Diesel 4 door superduty.....My question to you is the truck is a 4 door with a short bed....In your opinion do you think I need a slider hitch? Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Pete. Ahh the quest for the right hitch. I have a short bed GMC and have never needed a slider.
Some people would not have one, some people would never be without one and some people have one and have never used it.
It's your call.
Now I know this will help you make up your mind. :confused::)

Peace
Dave

hillsonwheels

That Cookie.........He can really clear up a muddy issue????:confused:????? What's that word........obfuscation????:confused:????? That's why God gave us apples and oranges.....:cool:....so we could make a personal choice. I have a slider. But, have never used it except for experimenting in the back yard to check it out.

Dick

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have a 2005 2500 SB - and I opted for a slider - for insurance - I knew that I would need to exceed 88 deg to the the Cyclone 3010 into it's spot in my back yard ( due to telephone pole placement ) and to be honest - I wanted to play it safe - the last thing I would want is damage to my new 50K+ unit due to a laps in focus after a long day on the road!

Sliders are heavy and cost more - yes. but because mine is automatic I can not say that I would not need it if I did not have it.

Kevin