Turning radius with a shortbed truck.

jasons09cyclone

Maybe my truck is set up different. But I can maybe get 60-70 degree turn in my patent pending 08 cyclone 3950. I also have a slider hitch that never was used in four years now.. I do drive on dirt a lot and that is where I would turn that far other than that I need to max out the turn every time I back into my driveway. I'm on my second set of tires on the 5r because the first ones were bulging out. (china made good years) the price between the hitches is not significant as to not get the slider hitch plus I think it looks better.. That being said I have jacked knifed once and it is not a pretty sight..

Wmnmy

I have had two f-250s crew cabs with the same 24k husky slider hitch never had to use it and had it jackknifed twice turning in a small camp ground with no problems and I have the cyclone get the slider as said before better to have and not need then want or wish u had it later.....

porthole

Retired
The other benefit to a slider with a short bed (or long bed with this maneuver)

A slider may just give you a bit more room between the top rails of your truck and the bottom of the 5th wheel overhang. Especially if the ground is not level. With the slide rearward there is less of an area for the trailer-truck to meet.

Last edited:

n2snow2

i just purcased a 33 rl with a pullrite auto slider for my 07 2500hd glad i did worth the extra money only down fall is you have to be lined up perfect to hook up

porthole

Retired
You have to have the pin lined up with the saddle, but the truck and trailer do have to be in a perfect line

iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Duane, based on the pictures I've seen of your driveway, you can use all the extra clearance you can get.

It is a bit steep, but we are at the end of a cul-de-sac, so I am able to get completely straight before I back in. Bed clearance is fine going straight I actually drop my hitch to the lowest point to back in, in order to clear the rear jacks and spare tire.

If I had to back in on an angle though, clearance would be critical.
When I had the PullRite Superglide and short bed truck the auto slide was a big benefit on the off camber, off grade back ins.

ntoport

I have a 2011 F-350 CC short bed. When I bought my 2012 3585 my salesman told me I didn't need a slider. With that being said I tried to make a sharp turn in their parking lot just to see how close they would get...cab and trailer. I couldn't even get within 75*. The salesman didn't believe me when I walked up to the sales office. So we went to the rig with the tech who installed it and found the hitch was installed correctly. Nobody had a answer why it didn't work. So after a couple of hours they had installed a 18k Super Pullrite Automatic Slider. Now everything is just fine except for the way the tires look when at the 80+ degrees. I was told by both the tech and salesman its not a problem as long as you are not doing 24/7. Still scares me.

ILH

I've got a 2011CC GMC 2500 withe 6.5 box. No problem turning the full 88 degrees - although my built-in automatic alarm goes off (wife screaming in the back seat).

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I've got a 2011CC GMC 2500 withe 6.5 box. No problem turning the full 88 degrees - although my built-in automatic alarm goes off (wife screaming in the back seat).

LOL! Wife screaming in back seat is always better than glass breaking in back seat!:eek:

lwmcguir

I have a 2011 F-350 CC short bed. When I bought my 2012 3585 my salesman told me I didn't need a slider. With that being said I tried to make a sharp turn in their parking lot just to see how close they would get...cab and trailer. I couldn't even get within 75*. The salesman didn't believe me when I walked up to the sales office. So we went to the rig with the tech who installed it and found the hitch was installed correctly. Nobody had a answer why it didn't work. So after a couple of hours they had installed a 18k Super Pullrite Automatic Slider. Now everything is just fine except for the way the tires look when at the 80+ degrees. I was told by both the tech and salesman its not a problem as long as you are not doing 24/7. Still scares me.
Great way to bend your axle hangers or even an axle. Interesting my 2005 F250 would turn a 90 (on gravel) when hitched to the Landmark. I am surprised there would be that much difference in the 2012 in clearance from the back window.

wildwolfproducts

Part of me wishes I had not even bought a sliding hitch. And may use my sons fixed hitch and see how it does. As my Slider does pop when starting and stopping.
Pete

Last edited:

dave10a

I installed a slider and used it twice so far as a precaution. The salesman who sold me the rig told me to get one just to be safe and I am glad I did........

porthole

Retired
Part of me wishes I had not even bought a sliding hitch. And may use my sons fixed hitch and see how it does. As my Slider does pop when starting and stopping.
Pete

What kind of hitch?
If a PullRite SuperGlide there is a simple adjustment for that.

iPhone using Tapatalk

cherylbrv

Please forgive my ignorance here... I've researched the 5er almost to death. Now onto the truck and hitch. Pretty sure it'll be a long bed, as husband needs to take a ladder and tool boxes with him to jobs, so hopefully there will be room behind the hitch. My question is... what exactly is a slider, which most folks here don't believe is needed?

Thanks,

Cheryl

danemayer

When you have a short bed, on turns the front of the RV can hit the back of the truck cab. Heartland designs avoid this on most short bed trucks. A slider hitch slides to the rear on turns to avoid the contact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MTPockets

Please forgive my ignorance here... I've researched the 5er almost to death. Now onto the truck and hitch. Pretty sure it'll be a long bed, as husband needs to take a ladder and tool boxes with him to jobs, so hopefully there will be room behind the hitch. My question is... what exactly is a slider, which most folks here don't believe is needed?

Thanks,

Cheryl

A slider can be moved back to allow more room for the front cap of the fifth wheel to clear the truck rear window when making a tight turn. Not needed with a long bed truck. Some short bed trucks are a few inches shorter than others, so need will vary on what brand truck and the cap design on the fifth wheel.