Turning radius with a shortbed truck.

rick_debbie_gallant

Be it a long bed or Short bed, slider hitch or fixed (I have had them both) one thing I do is turn the trailer brakes off so the wheels can turn as free as possible. Not sure if this is the proper thing to do but my thought is it takes some of the stress and twist off the
Tires, axel and frame of the trailer. Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
My question is... what exactly is a slider, which most folks here don't believe is needed?

White Castle - small, square, greasy hamburgers that slid right down - AKA Sliders ...... Oh never mind :cool::cool:

And you do need them - so they are available by the sack!

jbeletti

White Castle - small, square, greasy hamburgers that slid right down - AKA Sliders ...... Oh never mind :cool::cool:

And you do need them - so they are available by the sack!

Way to stray off topic Duane :) But yeah, it's a must stop! Krystals are a good substitute when a White Castle is not available.

datedd

Hey dave10a, is your truck suited to tow that big Landmark? By the looks of your avatar and the research I did on weights, it would seem that your SRW truck would be overloaded.

Reason I ask is that I am going for the same truck as you: F350 SRW short bed and I want to gauge what I can tow.

Thanks!

danemayer

Hi dated,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find lots of useful information here, so feel free to browse and ask questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lwmcguir

I have a 2011 F-350 CC short bed. When I bought my 2012 3585 my salesman told me I didn't need a slider. With that being said I tried to make a sharp turn in their parking lot just to see how close they would get...cab and trailer. I couldn't even get within 75*. The salesman didn't believe me when I walked up to the sales office. So we went to the rig with the tech who installed it and found the hitch was installed correctly. Nobody had a answer why it didn't work. So after a couple of hours they had installed a 18k Super Pullrite Automatic Slider. Now everything is just fine except for the way the tires look when at the 80+ degrees. I was told by both the tech and salesman its not a problem as long as you are not doing 24/7. Still scares me.
Turning nearly 90 degrees on pavement will certainly test your axles and spring hangers. You really dont want to do this unless absolutely a must.

rgwilliams69

Hey dave10a, is your truck suited to tow that big Landmark? By the looks of your avatar and the research I did on weights, it would seem that your SRW truck would be overloaded.

Reason I ask is that I am going for the same truck as you: F350 SRW short bed and I want to gauge what I can tow.

Thanks!

Morning datedd. I did some exhaustive research on the 2012/2013 Ford Super Duty trucks prior to my latest purchase (2012 F350 CC DRW). Short story I found is that getting the F350 SRW over the F250 SRW doesn't really buy you much. In fact it you add the camper package to the F250 SRW you have the same components as the F350 SRW. Here are the rated 5th wheel maximums (assuming 4x4, Crew Cab SRW, and the 6.7l Diesel):

F250 Max Loaded Trailer: 15,200
F350 Max Loaded Trailer: 15,700

Where I ran into trouble with my previous rig (15,500 Keystone Alpine) was the pin weight. Maximum payload (same assumptions as above):

F250 Max Payload: 3290
F350 Max Payload: 3790

These payloads are apparently dependent on the GVWR listed on the door sticker. Pretty sure they are not changing components as they change the ratings (at least according to the folks on the Ford forum), but if you are looking for a truck to legally carry what your payload might be you will want to get the one with the highest GVWR on the sticker you can get. Be advised though that higher GVWR on the sticker in some states means more expensive license plates (i.e. Illinois).

So with the F350 by the time you add up all of your fuel, passengers, and gear in the truck that might not leave much for your pin weight, perhaps as follows:

4 avg adults: 720
full load fuel: 186
avg hitch: 200
avg gear: 200

3790 minus all this come to 2484 for your pin weight, and that is not leaving any safety margin. In my previous truck I was on the edge or over most of the time with the Alpine - for payload and rear axle. Pulled just fine (had to use Ride Rite air bags to level it though) but legally and by truck rating I was not in compliance.

Of course since I upgraded to the Cyclone 4100 a SRW was out of the question, as now I'm at 18,000 loaded trailer and certainly over 3000 pin weight. Moving to the F350 CC DRW configuration (two extra wheels, different axle, suspension components, etc.) provides a huge bump:

Max loaded trailer: 21,500
Max payload: 5,990

Sorry for the long post - but since I did so much research thought I would share. Again this is all on the 2012 Ford Super Duty series, but the 2013s are close to the same. Only downfall to the bigger truck for me was licensing cost increase (both plates and inspection) and personal license - with this setup I now need a non-CDL Class A. Shoot me a PM if you want to hear more.

datedd

Thank you for the info, I've spent about 6 months myself doing research so I pretty much have an idea about weights.

That's why when I look at a truck and the trailer behind it I pull out my calculator and start doing the numbers. By the looks of the combination of dave1a's setup, it seemed to me that an overload situation was present. Especially from a payload standpoint.

I just wanted to know what was his justification for getting such a heavy rig for what he had to work with.

I notice this a lot in that I see toy haulers being towed by 3/4 ton trucks. I asked a woman I met at the gym who drives a F250 what her and her husband tows they said a 39' toy hauler! I know an F350 and 250 SRW are close, but the Landmark I see here behind a SB 350 has got to be borderline at best!😳

rgwilliams69

Oh don't get me wrong, I was very tempted. Like I said in the test tow everything was great. In the end though I just couldn't go with a coach of that size/weight without getting the bigger truck to handle it safely and legally. Hated trading in my 2011 F250 though, it was a gem. This new one is nice though too. Porthole as far as the brakes go, this is the data I found for the 2012 and 2013 trucks:

Type Four-wheel vented disc, ABS (standard)
Front 14.29-in. discs
Rear 14.29-in. discs
Assist type Vacuum (F-250/F-350 SRW)/hydroboost (F-350 DRW/F-450)

Type 4 wheel vented disc, ABS (standard)
Front 13.66-inch discs (F-250, F-350), 14.53-inch discs (F-450)
Rear 13.39-inch discs (F-250, F-350), 15.35-inch discs (F-450)
Assist type Vacuum (F-250/F-350 SRW)/hydro-boost (F-350 DRW/F-450)

With my trade I moved from the vacuum to hydro-boost brakes on the DRW. Definitely feels different and takes some adjustments in use. But with the hydro-boost you get a higher/stronger assist. Pretty technical stuff, but the #32 entry on this thread does a great job of explaining it: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1046156-hydro-boost-vs-vacuum-boost-3.html

And also apologies to everyone for hijacking the thread. On the OP topic I had the 6.75 ft bed F250 CC SB SRW and used the Pullrite Super Slide 18k - best hitch I ever owned, loved using it and hated to see it go. But with the F350 I got the factory install hitch option and use the Reese Elite now. Only drawbacks to the Pullrite were the original cost and the weight of the thing (takes two big guys to lift it in/out). Sold it less than a week after I put it online though, and it kept its value well.

I'll hush up now. :)