TV for Newly Ordered Cyclone 3110

scottyb

Excellent choice. Did it come with the 5th wheel prep or do you have to install everything. Just watching and learning.

Zoomzoommo

It did not, so as part of the negotiated price, the dealer is paying for an under bed Reese. The company doing the installation suggested this afternoon an under bed B&W system, since I've been leaning towards a B&W hitch. Need to do more research on air bag options, perhaps just get it all done at one time.

Zoomzoommo

I questioned the new truck sales manager as to why he didn't order most trucks with the $370 fifth wheel prep package. He responded that it limits customer options on hitches, and many customers already have hitches. Uh, okay?

Zoomzoommo

Here she is:
53436F74-191E-4BD6-91F6-97750072AF18-3946-000001E2E3D88C12.jpg

scottyb

I questioned the new truck sales manager as to why he didn't order most trucks with the $370 fifth wheel prep package. He responded that it limits customer options on hitches, and many customers already have hitches. Uh, okay?

Beautiful. Lokks like King Ranch? I can understand his reasoning and I have found many 2012 that do not have the factory prep. I love my B & W and it would be nice to be able to use the it with the new truck. However, the B&W flipover hitch cost a lot more than $370, installed. I believe they also make a hitch to fit Ford's OEM install.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Beautiful. Lokks like King Ranch? I can understand his reasoning and I have found many 2012 that do not have the factory prep. I love my B & W and it would be nice to be able to use the it with the new truck. However, the B&W flipover hitch cost a lot more than $370, installed. I believe they also make a hitch to fit Ford's OEM install.

If you have the B&W companion and you buy a ford with the 5th wheel prep. All you need to do is purchase the base. Mine was $475. I have pictures of it posted in the Hitch section.

rgwilliams69

You won't need them. I have over 3k in pin weight and its not a issue at all

I have a 3K+ pin weight on mine and sitting on level ground you can see a little sag w/o air in the bags. Not a huge issue, but some with the 2011/2012 F350 DRW have reported a shutter/shaking on takeoff when the drive line is a little off (low). Airbags are taking care of this for most everyone at this point, but I expect Ford might eventually address as well. I didn't really mind the shutter and it didn't affect the way I drove, but some might not like it. Interestingly enough I never experienced this with my F250 SRW, even with a very heavy load. Maybe the extended wheel base is the culprit? Of course sometimes I like to add accessories just because -ahem- i like to add accessories. Drives my wife nuts. :)

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I have a 3K+ pin weight on mine and sitting on level ground you can see a little sag w/o air in the bags. Not a huge issue, but some with the 2011/2012 F350 DRW have reported a shutter/shaking on takeoff when the drive line is a little off (low). Airbags are taking care of this for most everyone at this point, but I expect Ford might eventually address as well. I didn't really mind the shutter and it didn't affect the way I drove, but some might not like it. Interestingly enough I never experienced this with my F250 SRW, even with a very heavy load. Maybe the extended wheel base is the culprit? Of course sometimes I like to add accessories just because -ahem- i like to add accessories. Drives my wife nuts. :)

Here is mine with no load and the load on it. I just can't see me needing the assistance in the rear. This is also with 100 gals of water on board the trailer.

If their feeling some shutter on the 4dr long wheel base and not on a 4dr short wheel base the issue could be at the drive shaft. I am just guessing here as I haven't even gotten under my truck yet. But if the long wheel base has a 2 piece shaft with a carrier bearing it may be coming from that bearing. High torque can make them shutter in a off angle. That's just assuming....

epega8y3.jpg

zehe2eby.jpg

rgwilliams69

I think mine sags a little more, or maybe doesn't start that high? Need to go out to my shed and check it out. Do you have anything heavy in the garage during this test? Your truck looks very similar to mine - silver ingot metallic? Nice!

I typically run completely full of water as well, boondock at a lot of race tracks without water, sewer or power. So run full water, gas (for the genny), etc.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
If somebody can tell me what the actual weight of a 12 F350 4dr 4wd DRW is I can tell you within a 100 lbs or so of what the pin weight is.

Can't remember if the RZR was in the garage or not.

Zoomzoommo

Yes, I wanted the Lariat but the KR had the desired options (other than the fifth wheel prep package). I spoke with the owner of the company that is installing the fifth wheel kit for the dealership. He suggested using the B & W under bed rail kit instead of the Reese, since I want to use the B & W hitch. They can also install airbags if I so decide.

For those with air bags, besides the benefit of leveling, is there an improvement in towing, via less movement?

porthole

Retired
Here is mine with no load and the load on it. I just can't see me needing the assistance in the rear. This is also with 100 gals of water on board the trailer.

If their feeling some shutter on the 4dr long wheel base and not on a 4dr short wheel base the issue could be at the drive shaft. I am just guessing here as I haven't even gotten under my truck yet. But if the long wheel base has a 2 piece shaft with a carrier bearing it may be coming from that bearing. High torque can make them shutter in a off angle. That's just assuming....

Hard to tell with your pictures just how much it drops. Mine dropped about 3-4 inches, don't remember exactly how much. With 3000+ plus added with the trailer load it would put the rear of the truck below level and shoot the headlights high.
I have the shutter when loaded. Getting the dealer to look at it turned out to be more hassle then it was worth - since they can't reproduce it and in general made it lees then simple to bring the trailer with me for the test drive. With air and the truck leveled out it still shudders. Some on the Ford Forums have had drive shafts replaced and solved the issue. There seems to be a 50% cure rate with the addition of air bags. SRW's seem to be less prone to the shudder, but they sit 2" higher unloaded, and that may help.

Copy of F-350_&_Cylone_combo.jpg

D70_1207.JPG

If somebody can tell me what the actual weight of a 12 F350 4dr 4wd DRW is I can tell you within a 100 lbs or so of what the pin weight is.

I can tell you a 2011 DRW with a tool box and roll up cover (250 pounds before any tools), TS3 hitch (300) full 65 gallon fuel tank, some fire wood, 2 dogs, 2 people comes in at 10K on a CAT scale

For those with air bags, besides the benefit of leveling, is there an improvement in towing, via less movement?

I found with my GMC an unloaded benefit. With the bags at the minimum pressure of 2-5 psi I felt a better ride unloaded. Just that little bit of air softened it up a bit. Headlight aim is a plus and what seems as less of a "hard bounce".

jimtoo

The fix for the drive shaft shudder is to install the tapered rear spring spacers or mounts. These spacers are between the axle and spring and change the angle of the rear u-joint to drive shaft just a few degrees.

porthole

Retired
The fix for the drive shaft shudder is to install the tapered rear spring spacers or mounts. These spacers are between the axle and spring and change the angle of the rear u-joint to drive shaft just a few degrees.

Most of the results I have read with installing the tapered shims on the 2011+ Fords just changes when you get the shudder.

bdb2047

I have about 3100# pin weight long bed CC 4x4.Truck squats 3 1/2" w/trailer.Went to dealer about shudder was told all trucks have it and it is not a problem.Put on air bags and it helped but did not stop it completely.

porthole

Retired
Hey Dave, how have you guys been? Weather the storm OK? You traveling this year or will we see you at some rallies?

We got our trucks around the same time and had similar results. I level mine with air ride now and I still get the shudder, just not as much.

bdb2047

Hi Duane,we are in Fl right now plan on coming back in April.We are planning on doing rallies in region afraid to make res. every time I do something happens not good.Tentative plans to leave in Sept for west coast and see what we find. How did you come out of storm?Last I read on here you were helping others.