Tv program audio through surround sound speakers?

GWZ1948

The Toshiba flat screen living room TV in our 2013 Bighorn 3610RE has very anemic speakers. Is it possible to get TV program audio out through the surround speakers? Am I missing a TV menu setting or something? Or, might this be accomplished via wire connections? :confused::confused:Appreciate any and all feedback!!

danemayer

Hi GWZ1948,

You'll have to add a cable between the TV and sound system. Get out the manuals for your devices to see what inputs and outputs they each support and then refer to our RV Audio Connections Illustrated Guide to determine how to make the connection. You may also have to set the TV menu depending on what type of output it has. And of course, you'll have to set the sound system to the correct input.

GWZ1948

Thanks Dan! I've visited the "Illustrated Guide" earlier and was confused!:confused: Seemed like not enough "in / out audio ports" to match up. I will certainly revisit the project and let you know how it turns out...thanks again!

danemayer

Thanks Dan! I've visited the "Illustrated Guide" earlier and was confused!:confused: Seemed like not enough "in / out audio ports" to match up. I will certainly revisit the project and let you know how it turns out...thanks again!
The guide is generic, to help you identify different connector types and figure out how to connect the various types that you find. Your Toshiba TV probably has an Optical TOS audio output.

If you can tell me the model # of the TV and the make/model of the surround sound, I can point you to the answer.

ramdually4100king

Our tv has downward facing speakers and is muffled by the shelf 1/2 inch under the tv. So I am going to say crappy speakers/poor positioning. Before running wires ensure your entertainment system has an input. I almost ran the wires only to find out there is no in on my DVD surround sound system. I am thinking of buying a sound bar and mounting it over the tv.

Good luck.

GWZ1948

The guide is generic, to help you identify different connector types and figure out how to connect the various types that you find. Your Toshiba TV probably has an Optical TOS audio output.

If you can tell me the model # of the TV and the make/model of the surround sound, I can point you to the answer.
I will respond with model #, etc. once I return home this evening!! Thanks for the assistance.

danemayer

Our tv has downward facing speakers and is muffled by the shelf 1/2 inch under the tv. So I am going to say crappy speakers/poor positioning. Before running wires ensure your entertainment system has an input. I almost ran the wires only to find out there is no in on my DVD surround sound system. I am thinking of buying a sound bar and mounting it over the tv.

Good luck.
Hi ramdually4100king,

Would you mind posting the make/model of the surround sound that came with your rig. I've looked over the manuals for every model that's been posted about on the forum and yours would be the first I've seen that doesn't have audio inputs. If I can verify that by looking at the manual for yours, it might save someone else some frustration later on.

Mizmary

Ramdually and I have a Sony -DAV-TZ140.

It functions as both a DVD player and the surround sound system. We have looked at Getty a docent receiver but the space they created for it is too small for most. And the ones that would fit would only fit with mm to spare- so not enough room for proper cooling.

I will throw them a bone on the tv- it's really hard to find a tv with forward facing speakers. But it would be nice to actually have one. Thank goodness for heartland. Calling the dealer for response on when it would get here was worthless. Calling heartland gave me a ship date and expected delivery date. Since it broke on Father's Day weekend it would be nice to get it back before the DH's birthday.

Ladiver

Mizmary,

We too have the Sony with no inputs. Not too happy about that, especially considering there is NO ROOM for any replacement! I have another issue that I will PM you about, rather than hijack this thread.

Thanks,

Jeff

danemayer

Ramdually and I have a Sony -DAV-TZ140.

It functions as both a DVD player and the surround sound system. We have looked at Getty a docent receiver but the space they created for it is too small for most. And the ones that would fit would only fit with mm to spare- so not enough room for proper cooling.

I will throw them a bone on the tv- it's really hard to find a tv with forward facing speakers. But it would be nice to actually have one. Thank goodness for heartland. Calling the dealer for response on when it would get here was worthless. Calling heartland gave me a ship date and expected delivery date. Since it broke on Father's Day weekend it would be nice to get it back before the DH's birthday.

The DAVTZ140 manual shows RCA phono input connectors for audio in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
My Sony DAV-TVZ140 has RCA phono input and works fine. There is a single audio output on the back of the TV that splits out to a dual cable and runs to back of DAV-TZ140. Mine was all connected up from the dealer. You do have to go into the TV menu / settings / audio and designate the audio option you want to use. Upon turning off the DAV-TZ140, the TV defaults back to the TV speakers. Need to select the surround sound each time you turn the system on. By the way the TV is a Sony Bravia 46". Hope this helps.

Ladiver

Good eye Dan,

I quickly saw r/w/y and assumed it was out to TV. Only on a Sony would y be out and r/w be in. Now to get behind tv and make sure that side is "y" in, "r/w" out! Even with this, it is still a piece of junk. But hey, for $125 you get 5 speakers, a dvd player and a receiver. they could have spared a few bucks and wired it up with HDMI! Oh well, that is a whole other issue.

Jeff

Mizmary

I wonder if there are two slightly different models. Because I took the thing out again --on the back there is an FM antenna connection, there is a/v out, hdmi out, all of the speaker connections out. On the front the is a USB plug. But that's it.

We already owned a blu-ray player and things, but with the set up there isn't much room for adding your own components. We have a small table that we out our satellite receiver on, with our blu-ray, etc. but it blocks the end recliner from going up.

We love this rig. And the issues are definitely part of the give and take.

Ladiver

I looked at the manual and it shows Yellow is out and Red/White are in. http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4299353121.pdf

I am not at home, but I think you assumed the same thing I did, unless it is marked "out" on the rear panel of the Sony. I think it is marked wrong.

I am an A/V and computer guy and I can't remember ever seeing the r/w/y being split between in and out. You always see a set for in and a set for out. If there is no Y in, then the don't put it there. There really should be a red and white out to the TV. What if the speakers are dead? There is no way to listen to a dvd????

ramdually4100king

I will test it but that would be weird for Sony. But that would also explain the buzzing of the tv speakers when watching a movie

Ladiver

ramdually,

For a fun trick, plug in your FM antenna, then you can listen to FM radio through your TV speakers while trying to watch a movie. :)

Don't ask how I know this!

Mizmary

I am an A/V and computer guy and I can't remember ever seeing the r/w/y being split between in and out. You always see a set for in and a set for out. If there is no Y in, then the don't put it there. There really should be a red and white out to the TV. What if the speakers are dead? There is no way to listen to a dvd????

I have never seen it either, which is why I didn't even consider that they were an in.

Thanks everyone. (Also, I'm sorry about the typos. I get a little happy on this ipad and sometimes I don't notice.)

danemayer

My Panasonic surround sound bedeviled me for the same reason. There were R/W connectors that I thought were output only. After digging into the specs in the manual, I discovered they were also inputs. In 30 some years of working with audio equipment, I had never seen RCA phono connectors used for both input and output. So be it.

In addition to the labeling of the rear panel diagram, the Sony manual also pictures connecting TV audio out to the surround sound using those inputs.

scottyb

Wow! I have been thrashing over this for a year now. I saw and thought the same thing as everybody else. I also discovered that there is no optical digital input on mine. I will have to check this out when I get home. Fingers crossed. Not sure about others, but I have to turn the TV volume almost to the max to hear it over the AC.