TV Quality in Landmark

danemayer

I spent a lot of time tracing the coax cables on our 2016 Bighorn, and was perhaps shocked to discover that the largest tv (in the living area) was actually third in line for cable signal provided by the parks. It's reflected in reception quality: our bedroom Insignia (first in line) actually gets a pretty crisp picture. The basement outlet is second in line (and after two splitters). I've not tried connecting a tv there. Third comes our 55" Insignia, which is constantly struggling (this is following THREE splitters), then lastly is our outdoor entertainment center (an LG that also struggles).

On the positive side, the satellite connections (2 separate ones) go directly to both the living room and bedroom - so those pictures are generally better. But it does seem that cable tv signal could have been split right at the input location, sending one signal to the LR and the BR and avoid this 'death by a thousand splitters.'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a signal booster for over-the-air antenna TV. The antenna coax and cable TV coax meet at the signal booster and the output goes from there go to all the TV locations. You could split the cable signal right at the input location, as you've suggested, but then you'd also have to locate the signal booster there. Then you'd have to go outside everytime you turn the signal booster on or off.

The signal booster could have been placed in living room, but with cable input and antenna at the other end of the trailer, the coax runs would have been even longer.

The real problem is that you probably have a loose connection somewhere in the coax run.

porthole

Retired
There's a signal booster for over-the-air antenna TV. The antenna coax and cable TV coax meet at the signal booster and the output goes from there go to all the TV locations. You could split the cable signal right at the input location, as you've suggested, but then you'd also have to locate the signal booster there. Then you'd have to go outside everytime you turn the signal booster on or off.

The signal booster could have been placed in living room, but with cable input and antenna at the other end of the trailer, the coax runs would have been even longer.

The real problem is that you probably have a loose connection somewhere in the coax run.

Who turns on and off their booster during any given campground?

The real problem sounds like shoddy work. Three splitters downstream from the input is just wrong.

What's the first area most of us are at after setting up - in the UDC. There is no reason the booster is not right there. Then do the split. Only one splitter to the 2 or 3 TV's.

Anything more then one splitter is an incorrect installation.
The reason the booster is in the bedroom of most of our trailers is the proximity to the rooftop antenna.

danemayer

Who turns on and off their booster during any given campground?
What's the first area most of us are at after setting up - in the UDC. There is no reason the booster is not right there. ...

Maybe I'm the only one, but I can't count the number of times I've started a channel scan on the TV before I checked the signal booster. I'm happy it's inside.

NHCelt

I have to say that I was initially unsure about the Insignia brand TV in my Bighorn....but really have no complaints. Clear, crisp and good blacks. It is a little slow doing an auto scan, but what's the hurry.

Now...the cabling on the Bighorn is a disaster and can/will cause minor and/or major issues with picture quality. Many times, the issues will be transient in nature....meaning a little push or shove on the cable will change the picture quality or make you lose a satellite or something similar.