TV reception interference when DC fan are running

pa_harley

I just purchased a 2010 305 Road Warrior and noticed that when using the antenna and watching TV, the signal gets interrupted and is unviewable when any of the DC fans are running. IE: stove fan, bath/bedroom ceiling fan. Does anybody know of a fix or inline filter that would stop this. If so, where would the filter go? Thanks! It is a Jensen TV using the Jensen power 760

jimtoo

Hi pa-harley,

There was some discussion about this a short while back. Check this thread out. See if this will help you.

I did move your post to the TV area as you will get more people looking here I think.

Also at the bottom of every thread is a list of threads with similar or same topic listed for you. It is an automatic search to help with problems.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

wdk450

I originally came up with the capacitor fix. Since then I have installed a 12 volt DC computer box fan in the bathroom in place of the original fan. The better quality fans don't generate the electrical noise the cheap "toy" fan motors do.
I use my Dish Network dish most of the time, so I don't have the OTA problems much.

danemayer

I'm wondering if a filter like this on the AC cord for the surround sound will fix all the interference from all the various sources. They're not very expensive and you can probably also get one at Radio Shack.

I don't think I'd want to try to add capacitors or other devices to every possible noise source. If you can't filter it at the surround sound, maybe a replacement surround sound is in order.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I'm wondering if a filter like this on the AC cord for the surround sound will fix all the interference from all the various sources. They're not very expensive and you can probably also get one at Radio Shack.

I don't think I'd want to try to add capacitors or other devices to every possible noise source. If you can't filter it at the surround sound, maybe a replacement surround sound is in order.

Use the ferrite filter close to possible to the source of the noise such as the fan motors. The inside diameter of the filter should be very close to the same size of wire diameter.

cablguy4u

I am thinking you issue is related to ingress. As a former Cable tech. (15yrs in service/install) I have had this problem many times. Ingress is caused by outside interfeance ie: electric motors, cb radios, air traffic.... there are many caused for ingress. My yrs in cable have taught me that one of the main causes of this is poor wiring (RG-59 cable as opposed to RG-56) RG 56 cable has better sheilding and allows less ingress. most likely your RV was built with RG-59 cable, less sheilding and cheaper to buy. Bad fittings are another cause, push on fittings vs screw on fittings. screw on fittings are the way to go. metal braid hanging out of a fitting acts like an antena and picks up interferance which in turn, you see on your TV. Your TV may be another issue, most newer TV's have less sheilding in them and will cause ingerss as well. There few fixes for your issue, Use RG-56 jumpers from your prewired outlets with screw on fittings, usually you can go to your local cable co. and they will give them to you. (they rather you get it from them so they don't have to roll a truck ). You can also try getting a cable box. You don't need one that is provided from your cable co. just one that will act as your tuner instead of your TV. this has better sheilding than your TV and more likely to block out ingress. You can get them by looking on-line under cable products. They are pretty cheap and will work anywhere. These are just a few quick fixes that may solve the issue.

jimtoo

Hi cableguy4u,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Thanks for your input on the problem.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

dave10a

I would try a 0.5-10mfd capacitor as close as possible to the fan motor-- that would suppress spike from the motor brushes.