Underbelly heat

Aviator

I have a 2016 Charleston, do these come standard with underbelly heat?
dealing with frozen pipes but have been running furnace at 70 degrees.
Thanks for any comments.

Dahillbilly

Even with underbelly heat that will only work for so long, The longer and colder it is outside the more likely hood of a freeze up. You may need more heat or skirting.

david-steph2018

I have a 2016 Charleston, do these come standard with underbelly heat?
dealing with frozen pipes but have been running furnace at 70 degrees.
Thanks for any comments.
Heated underbelly is no more than a duct run from the furnace that ends in the space.
Not sure, and I do not think so, but if the rig has low point drains, and if these are exposed, the freeze up can go upward into the rig.

Annissa

We are dealing with that issue, as our septic hose froze solid and there was nowhere for the drainage to go, so we tried to unhook the septic line from the RV to see if it would drain or was it froze underneath the camper too. It was so frozen that we couldn’t get it to turn to unhook, so I got my hair dryer and extension cord and propped up my hair dryer to blow on the connection site for about 20 minutes, then was able to unhook septic hose from RV and it poured out. I was happy until we realized that the heated water hose AND THE septic hose were both frozen solid, so we have absolutely NO WATER. We are in Tennessee, not far from Memphis and the temperature was 15 below zero this morning. We were outside at 2am trying to relieve the pressure from the inside (pushed the toilet pedal and water shot up out of it), so at least we managed to get that done, but now we are wondering….do we just leave the water turned off at the hydrant and not worry about anything underneath the RV (tanks and lines) because there should be nothing in them to freeze…..or do we need to find another water hose and turn everything back on? I had a heated water hose hooked up and it was warm both times we checked, but as of 2am this morning, it was frozen, so don’t know what happened. We also had 3/4 plywood boards around the bottom of the RV and the septic and water hose inside of that, except for the 8 ‘ that was exposed going to the hydrant and septic dump connect. We wrapped the exposed water hose with more plastic and had carpet rolled up around the hydrant, so I am really confused as to what we didn’t do that we should have OR did, that we shouldn’t have done. Please, any suggestions? Btw, we are in a financial setback, so getting propane was out of the question, which has a lot to do with it we know, but that couldn’t be helped, as we have been traveling and spending going to 3 different funerals in the last 2 weeks, so we are broke.

david-steph2018

When it is very cold, we fill our freshwater tank and run the water pump. But we also run the furnace to have heat in the underbelly area.
With it that cold, disconnect and empty the sewer drain hose to keep it from freezing. Same for the fresh water supply hose, fill your water tank and run off the pump.
Hopefully, water lines in the rig did not freeze, and you won't have issues.

Annissa

When it is very cold, we fill our freshwater tank and run the water pump. But we also run the furnace to have heat in the underbelly area.
With it that cold, disconnect and empty the sewer drain hose to keep it from freezing. Same for the fresh water supply hose, fill your water tank and run off the pump.
Hopefully, water lines in the rig did not freeze, and you won't have issues.
We think they already started, cause we are getting nothing out of the bathroom faucet at all, we have the water running in the kitchen and my sinks are filling up, so I am constantly throwing water out the front door to keep from overflow. The owner here said that Yes, your pipes are probably frozen underneath, but you have to keep the water running, so it looks like I am gonna be up all night tossing water out of the RV……what fun!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Open the cabinet doors under the sinks if the drains are frozen. May thaw out eventually
Do you have a small space heater to direct any heat into the sink cabinet area?
Small heater in the basement area will help.
Turn on the lights in the basement. They are incandescent bulbs that give off heat
Put a bucket in the sink so you needn’t bail out the water

david-steph2018

Do what is suggested above. When it warms up, you may be able to thaw the low point drains from underneath the rig using a hair dryer. After thawing, you may need to insulate the low point drains.

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

If you are going to stay in freezing cold weather, you need to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get insulation board and skirt the outside of your RV. Use metal tape to hold the skirting together. Do not tape it to the sides of your RV. It cuts easy and does not cost much. Put a couple of incandescent light bulbs under and that should keep it from freezing up.

sengli

Four season rated, artic insulation package, extreme weather insulated.....all this phrases are nothing more than hollow marketing hype. The coroplast covering on the bottom of almost every RV, is just that covering. All the plumbing runs are basically hanging in the breeze. The only answer is as several have said.. add skirting.

Gary521

We are dealing with that issue, as our septic hose froze solid and there was nowhere for the drainage to go, so we tried to unhook the septic line from the RV to see if it would drain or was it froze underneath the camper too. It was so frozen that we couldn’t get it to turn to unhook, so I got my hair dryer and extension cord and propped up my hair dryer to blow on the connection site for about 20 minutes, then was able to unhook septic hose from RV and it poured out. I was happy until we realized that the heated water hose AND THE septic hose were both frozen solid, so we have absolutely NO WATER. We are in Tennessee, not far from Memphis and the temperature was 15 below zero this morning. We were outside at 2am trying to relieve the pressure from the inside (pushed the toilet pedal and water shot up out of it), so at least we managed to get that done, but now we are wondering….do we just leave the water turned off at the hydrant and not worry about anything underneath the RV (tanks and lines) because there should be nothing in them to freeze…..or do we need to find another water hose and turn everything back on? I had a heated water hose hooked up and it was warm both times we checked, but as of 2am this morning, it was frozen, so don’t know what happened. We also had 3/4 plywood boards around the bottom of the RV and the septic and water hose inside of that, except for the 8 ‘ that was exposed going to the hydrant and septic dump connect. We wrapped the exposed water hose with more plastic and had carpet rolled up around the hydrant, so I am really confused as to what we didn’t do that we should have OR did, that we shouldn’t have done. Please, any suggestions? Btw, we are in a financial setback, so getting propane was out of the question, which has a lot to do with it we know, but that couldn’t be helped, as we have been traveling and spending going to 3 different funerals in the last 2 weeks, so we are broke.
I do not understand why your sewer line has frozen. There should not be any water in the line ever ( except when draining ). If you are leaving your gray water valves open all the time, this is a no no. By leaving the gray tank vales open, you are venting the entire park septic system to the air. If you drain your tanks, purge the remaining water from the sewer line to complete the job.
Another way to provide heat to the underside it to add a conventional light bulb to the area. Conventional ( incandescent ) bulbs give off a lot of heat.

Annissa

I do not understand why your sewer line has frozen. There should not be any water in the line ever ( except when draining ). If you are leaving your gray water valves open all the time, this is a no no. By leaving the gray tank vales open, you are venting the entire park septic system to the air. If you drain your tanks, purge the remaining water from the sewer line to complete the job.
Another way to provide heat to the underside it to add a conventional light bulb to the area. Conventional ( incandescent ) bulbs give off a lot of heat.
Yes, he forgot to shut the valve off, so the septic line was free flowing and I didn’t know it. I will try the lightbulb if and when the city turns the water back on, right now nobody has any water because the city tanks are dry and they are trying to fix major leaks. Thanks for the advice

Annissa

If you are going to stay in freezing cold weather, you need to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get insulation board and skirt the outside of your RV. Use metal tape to hold the skirting together. Do not tape it to the sides of your RV. It cuts easy and does not cost much. Put a couple of incandescent light bulbs under and that should keep it from freezing up.
We have 3/4 plywood all around the bottom of our RV, with cracks and seams in between taped off, but it didn’t help

Annissa

Four season rated, artic insulation package, extreme weather insulated.....all this phrases are nothing more than hollow marketing hype. The coroplast covering on the bottom of almost every RV, is just that covering. All the plumbing runs are basically hanging in the breeze. The only answer is as several have said.. add skirting.
We have 3/4 inch plywood all around the bottom with the seams in between taped off, to keep the wind from blowing up under, but it didn’t help. I should have put a heat source under there too, But it wouldn’t have mattered anyway, seeing how the city cut the water off because of leaks and the city tanks being dry. Fire depts are trying to get bottled water to to all communities who don’t have water.