unmarked switch in closet

I have a 2012 landmark grand canyon with four switches in the closet. The first switch (lighted) is for the electric side of the hot water heater. The second switch is for the ceiling fan. The third switch is to activate the receptacle outside next to the awning. The fourth switch is (lighted) like the first but is not labeled. Can anyone advise what this switch activates? Any guidance would be appreciated.

danemayer

If its a full size light switch that lights up when on, it turns on the tank heating pads (Yeti option).

Make sure there's a little water in each tank to dissipate the heat or you could damage the pad and tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Make sure there's a little water in each tank to dissipate the heat or you could damage the pad and tank.
Dan, do you really think they would get that hot? I'm guessing the temp is factored in at a max setting that wouldn't do any harm. Sort of "Idiot Proof"?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dan, do you really think they would get that hot? I'm guessing the temp is factored in at a max setting that wouldn't do any harm. Sort of "Idiot Proof"?

Ultraheat, a popular tank pad manufacturer, warns that there must be fluid in the tanks. I am not 100% sure the pads HL uses are Ultraheat, but probably so.

danemayer

I burned several holes in my gray #1 tank last year by having the tank heaters on with the tanks empty. The pad was also ruined.

I don't think the tank was even completely empty where the pad was installed. The screws holding the tank support on the ODS side were broken and the tank was low on that side, which happened to be where the pad was mounted. So there was probably always a little water in the hottest area.
2012-07-31 16.10.56-1.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

I burned several holes in my gray #1 tank last year by having the tank heaters on with the tanks empty. The pad was also ruined.

I don't think the tank was even completely empty where the pad was installed. The screws holding the tank support on the ODS side were broken and the tank was low on that side, which happened to be where the pad was mounted. So there was probably always a little water in the hottest area.
This begs the question. Is there any labeling or instruction to not use the tank heaters if tanks are empty or near empty?
To me this is the type of feature that would be installed so as to not cause damage to anything if left on.

I guess the same could be said for the hot water heater but I know there is no labeling. I think the owners manual has a warning though.

Another thought, if the screws for the tank support were broken, couild the tank have shifted or moved causing a short in the heating pad? I have no knowledge of the heating pad system but it seems to me it should be something that's fool proof. It takes quite a bit of heat to melt plastic.

Ray LeTourneau

Ultraheat, a popular tank pad manufacturer, warns that there must be fluid in the tanks. I am not 100% sure the pads HL uses are Ultraheat, but probably so.

Good to know! That said, the switch should be labeled with that info.

danemayer

couild the tank have shifted or moved causing a short in the heating pad?
I didn't see anything that would lead me to that conclusion.

I agree that it would be a better design if damage was not a possibility. But I don't know how difficult it would be to generate enough heat to protect a full tank from freezing at very low temps (we've had -30F), but to not damage an empty tank.

Ultraheat customer support seemed surprised at the damage to pad and tank and thought that the switch was supposed to have a warning label. I'm not aware of any tank heater/Yeti switch having a warning label, and in fact many are not labeled at all. That's why I mentioned it in my earlier post.

After seeing the pictures, UltraHeat volunteered to replace the out-of-warranty pad. I had already patched the tank.