Up on the Rooffffffff

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I am glad you told me that, you just saved me a lot of work and sweat (not to mention $) for nothing. Out of sight, out of mind. What stain?

Does that mean I shouldn't mount my camera on a balloon and take remote pictures from above the campground?:rolleyes:

Bobby A

Is this what you are seeing on your roof? I just picked my Pinehurst up from service tech yesterday for another problem with a/c (the compressor was cycling on and off making a loud hummmm with the a/c turned off). He had to replace the control board in a/c. I asked him about the green stuff on the roof and he said it was from the a/c bottom tray, where water sits and then drains off. He assured me my a/c and compressor were fine. I did take pictures (just in case).

I took pics today and sent them to Heartland to get their take on it. Mine seems to be darker in color than your pics. I have never posted pics so I don't know how to do it to show you.

timdebs

Just out of curiosity I am going to take the a/c cover off this weekend and see if I can tell what is causing the staining. I will take pictures of what I find. Gus you can take pictures of my roof and I will take pictures of YOU cooking OUR lobsters:)

boatto5er

Just out of curiosity I am going to take the a/c cover off this weekend and see if I can tell what is causing the staining. I will take pictures of what I find. Gus you can take pictures of my roof and I will take pictures of YOU cooking OUR lobsters:)

OK - I confess, NO lobsters:(. However, I will be providing a bunch of their little cousins on Saturday night...;)

timdebs

No, I like the idea of camera mounted on balloon, then I can say see there I am not the only one with a stain on my roof.

donr827

I would take the cover off the a/c and look at the drain pan. Cleaning the drain pan will probably get rid of the cause.
Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Why go through the trouble of cleaning the drain pan cause it will just get dirty again LOL

Bobby A

Thanks Tim, I will be curious for your findings.

boatto5er

Hmmmmm, I've got a cheap older digital camera and can get a styrofoam ice chest from 7-11. Just need the balloon, prepaid phone, and an auto shutter timer.

Rickhansen

I have the same stains around both A/C's. I believe the staining of the EPDM roof is caused by traces of copper oxide that leach into the the condensate from the evaporator copper tubing sweating. It is probably more prevalent where the A/C's run more often in high humidity, due to more condensate runoff than in other areas.

We've been full-time in Florida for a year and a half, so the A/C's have a lot of run-time from April through November, and there is a lot of condensate runoff due to the high humidity.

Copper ore and copper oxide are green in their natural appearance. When you see old copper pipe, wire, roof caps, etc. the take on a dark patina and eventually green oxidation.

That's my guess anyway. Cheers. :cool:

timdebs

You are correct, I took my a/c shroud off today and it is from the copper tubing on the side of the coil. I have pictures and will post on Monday. Plain to tell that is the culprit.

timdebs

Roof Stain Culprit

Here are the pictures of the green stain culprit. Could we/I paint the copper tubing to stop the tarnishing and run off?

Attachments

• ac1.jpg
    ac1.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 44
  • ac3.jpg
    ac3.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 40
  • ac4.jpg
    ac4.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 38
  • ac5.jpg
    ac5.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 35
  • ac6.jpg
    ac6.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 32
  • ac7.jpg
    ac7.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 29
  • ac8.jpg
    ac8.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 27
  • ac9.jpg
    ac9.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 25
  • ac19.jpg
    ac19.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 27

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here are the pictures of the green stain culprit. Could we/I paint the copper tubing to stop the tarnishing and run off?

Doesn't look like your copper tubing is corroding. The red rust is from the steel parts at the bottom of the tray where the water collects.

Bobby A

Thanks for taking the time to do the pics. I sent my pics to Heartland c/s and they sent them to Dometic c/s and they replied back saying to do an amp draw, they also said it looks like an oil leak from a broker line. I'll keep you all posted.

timdebs

Find that hard to believe. Too many campers with the same stain. I have had 2 different people (techs) look at it and said it was not a problem. Will be interesting to see what they actually come up with. Please keep me posted.