Upcoming long trip

bigTdrop

We'll be heading up to the northern Calif coast first week of May, a distance of 475 miles. This will be our first long trip. Is it a reasonable expectation to think I can do this drive in one day? We're towing our 181 with an 08' Silverado 1500. I'm thinking about 10 hours.

danemayer

Depends on the roads, traffic and how smoothly your rig tows. And of course who's in the Silverado with you. We generally shoot for 7 hours and will go to 8 1/2 once in a while. One time 9 hours and DW was exhausted.

On bad roads, or if there's a lot of traffic, 10 hours would be a very long day.

Mike & Carol

bigTdrop

10 hours is certainly doable.....just got back from Florida..we drove 16 hours...felt good the whole way. We are heading to Hilton Head Rally on Wednesday....will drive up to Akron, Ohio to pick up rig (being serviced) then to Rock Hill, SC. about 9 hours...leaves me 4 hours to destination....don''t want to get to camp in Hilton Head till noon.

jnbhobe

It all depends on how much you like to drive, Its nothing for me to do 5hr. after work then do 10 hr the next day. Last July we went from Fredericksburg, Va. to Springfield, Il. 840mi. in 15hr. Everything went just right and we felt good and we got to sleep in the next morning.

PhotoPete

I have to agree with the others. If you like to drive and the DW will put up with it, it's very doable. We typically lay down 12 when we are going great distance. Otherwise just 8 between campgrounds. We do lots of 4000-6000 treks.

wdk450

BigT Drop:
You know your long trip will be made entirely within California, and California has an official towing speed limit of 55 mph. I have seen numerous private vehicles towing trailers pulled over on I-5 and 99. The truckers seem to usually get away with 60 -65, the CHP regularly sets up enforcement actions with 5-6 patrol cars and a light plane. There are distance marker stripes along the shoulders of the roads that the aircraft observer uses to time vehicles with and radio the cruisers on the ground, so a patrol car can catch you without even pacing you.
475 miles divided by 55 mph gives 8.6 hours, without including breaks. Are you O.K. with enough power to tow over the Grapevine pass on I-5? 101 doesn't have such long extreme grades (shorter ones near Oxnard and San Luis Obispo) but is often a major slowdown in Santa Barbara, and goes through the city of San Francisco on city streets. Also, there is construction ongoing on a new Golden Gate Bridge access from the city. I would recommend I-5 to Hwy 12 near Lodi, Hwy 12 West to I-80 (Fairfield), I-80 West just a few miles to Highway 37 in Vallejo. Highway 37 West connects with 101 near Petaluma.

bigTdrop

Thanks for your insight, Bill. We're going to stick with the 1-5. The truck is an 08 Silverado (5.3). We weigh about 4500lbs, which is well under the 7500lb tow rating. It'll be slow going up the Grapevine but the rig has done well in several short trips in our local mountains.
I'm more concerned about my own energy, given I'll not be sleeping in on departure morning after a long week at work, but we'll play it safe and stop if I get too tired. Gonna give it my best shot, however!

bigTdrop

I have to agree with the others. If you like to drive and the DW will put up with it, it's very doable. We typically lay down 12 when we are going great distance. Otherwise just 8 between campgrounds. We do lots of 4000-6000 treks.

You know, she has no problem sleeping on trips. She wakes up and asks "how long have I been asleep?" and I always respond, Dunno...I've been sleeping too!"

wdk450

TDrop:
I wasn't going to post any more on this, but today's Sacramento Bee has an article about travelling up I-5 in the central valley near the coastal foothills, some comments on the (few) sights and places to stop, so I thought I would send you the link.
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/04/15/4410422/enjoy-the-barren-bountiful-drive.html

I first drove down I-5 in the central valley when I was attending Navy Crypto school in Mare Island, and rented a car to drive down to my sisters house in Porterville on a weekend. This was 1970, just a year or two after this 400 mile stretch in a rural area of California WITH NO CITIES ON IT opened. Early on I saw a road sign reading "Next services 200 miles". I was driving at night. I got low on gas. I finally found some, and made it on to my destination. Today I-5 is dotted with roadside fuel and food stops along the way.

bigTdrop

Thanks, Bill. Great read. My mom lived in Rohnert Park for many years, so I've had a longstanding love / hate relationship with the good ol' I-5. This will by my first time traversing it while towing, however.

PhotoPete

We use to live in Stockton. I would make that drive down to LA all the time. Going by the big feed lots always was tough. such a strong smell.

P

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We use to live in Stockton. I would make that drive down to LA all the time. Going by the big feed lots always was tough. such a strong smell.

P

Smells like money to me! When the wind is out of the SW here I sometimes have to remind DW of that. Our winter feed lot gets to kickin up a "fragrance":p