Update on televisions, mounts, and bedroom mirror in the LM 365 Key West

TxCowboy

Hi, all! Wanted to update a thread from early September concerning the bedroom and exterior TV mounts, where the electrical connections are located, and what's behind that mirror in the bedroom. This information is likely of interest to other LM owners.

Here's the link to the other thread in the LM Gen Discussion forum: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...evisions-how-to-get-access-to-the-connections

We had a cable service installed in the Key West yesterday since we're going to be in this RV park for couple of years as we transition into retirement. Learned a couple of things that we wanted to pass on.

1. Exterior TV mount -- The television is mounted inside a metal box. To remove the television, lift the television up from the bottom. There are springs on the upper hinge of the television-mounted part of the mount. When you lift up the television, you can feel these springs compress. When you do, pull the bottom of the television toward you and pull down slightly. You'll feel the upper portion (where the springs are located) pull free of the mount. Installation is simply reversing this process. Note: this is a fixed mount, not an articulating one. Oh, well....

We installed a HD cable control box inside the dining room cabinet, connected the cable connector, plugged in the same receptacle as the television, and ran the IR sensor into the exterior metal box. Works great!

2. Bedroom TV mount -- In my Key West, the bedroom cable connection runs from the closet, through the walls, and into the cabinet that mounts the television. The ONLY way to access the television's coax connection, HDMI connection, and electrical receptacle is to remove the mirror. Once you remove the mirror, locate and pull the lanyard down and pull the television forward.

And guess what? It's an articulating mount! When I find my stud finder, I'm going to see if it's possible to switch the bedroom mount with the exterior mount. Both interior and exterior TVs are the same model so no worries there. A DIY in the future, perhaps.

The bedroom wall mount -- 20151017_114840.jpg

3. The mirror -- This is a very cool design feature. Love it. As long as you never have to remove the mirror from wall.

DW and I removed the four wood screws holding the mirror in place, laid it on the bed, and it literally disintegrated on us. The frame isn't wood or even plastic. It's some sort of compressed foam. In the photos, you can see the staples that hold the corners together and how the compressed foam has failed. Not sure what to do about this.

A hobbyist/friend in the RV park looked at it and he agrees that there's not enough surface area in the corners to glue it back together and the corner staples won't work either.

DW and I might try to find a picture frame we can use instead so that's a future project. Not even sure this is a warrantied item -- the mirror is fine. It's the mounting frame that failed. I absolutely want to fix this issue as I think it's one of the coolest bedroom features I've ever seen in an RV.

20151017_091355.jpg 20151017_091402.jpg 20151017_091410.jpg

Hope this answers some of the questions about the bedroom and exterior television mounts. And, again, be careful removing and reinstalling the mirror in the bedroom. It looks great but needs to be handled very carefully.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks for the update, all good to know. Sorry I never did get out there to see how to get it out of there. Now I'm glad I didn't try it or I might of done the same thing to my mirror. On my outside TV I put the Large locking cantilever mount from CW on it. "I love it". Now I can swing it out and face it toward the BBQ or the campfire. Way better then in the box.

TxCowboy

One additional comment on the external television.

HL mounted this television inside a metal box. I was a little concerned about the sound quality but the metal box acts as an echo chamber (think: Bose!). The audio is surprisingly good, even for those sitting several feet away from the television and even at the lower volume settings.

HTH

BillGott

TxCowboy did you find the satellite feed to the bedroom behind the tv? I cannot find the feed anywhere in my Charleston.

TxCowboy

TxCowboy did you find the satellite feed to the bedroom behind the tv? I cannot find the feed anywhere in my Charleston.

Bill, in my unit the satellite feed is in the bedroom closet where there's an electrical receptacle and the cables for the satellite and cable/OTA. The satellite connection is the one with the square connector.

I'll be back at the RV in a couple of days and will try to post a picture of those connections.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Here's a pic
86148911fa2fc97fd4621e15313a2fae.jpg

Sent from Jerrod's phone with Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Jerrod posted a good pic of that connection. Also, an update on the mirror frame -- HL is sending me a replacement under warranty for the mirror frame that fell apart. It's not here yet so I'm not quite sure how it will all fit together so that I can reinstall it over the BR television.

Future update to follow! :)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jerrod posted a good pic of that connection. Also, an update on the mirror frame -- HL is sending me a replacement under warranty for the mirror frame that fell apart. It's not here yet so I'm not quite sure how it will all fit together so that I can reinstall it over the BR television.

Hope they don't ship it UPS. It will look like your old one by the time it gets there. !!!!

TxCowboy

Hope not!

Was looking at perhaps finding a wooden picture frame that would substitute for the HL product and, while there are many available that could be custom made for the size of the mirror, they are very, very expensive.

Going to give the replacement that is being provided by HL another shot before dropping a ton of money on a picture frame.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Is the mirror glass ?
And also do you have trouble getting the remote to work through it.? I seem to have a hard time getting it to work

ksucats

X2 on getting the remote to work through the mirror. We've found that we have to be a little off center on the tv to get it to work. Too much though and it doesn't work, to straight on and it doesn't work.

TxCowboy

Is the mirror glass ?
And also do you have trouble getting the remote to work through it.? I seem to have a hard time getting it to work

We didn't have any issue with the remote working through the mirror. And, yeah, it's glass. There is a major difference in the reflective qualities between the front side and rear side of this glass so I'm wondering if perhaps your glass was installed backwards. The rear side is noticeably darker than the front side -- at least on my mirror. The dark side should be toward the television -- I think. :)

- - - Updated - - -

X2 on getting the remote to work through the mirror. We've found that we have to be a little off center on the tv to get it to work. Too much though and it doesn't work, to straight on and it doesn't work.

Here's an interesting thought -- is your television installed too low so that the IR sensor doesn't have a clear line of sight? Or, of course, the mirror could be installed too high for the television sensor.

My BR television is an LG and the sensor is in the bottom center of the television. If that frame is blocking or partially blocking that sensor, it can be a problem.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Here's a question for you all, do you HAVE to have the mirror/frame at all? Does the tv look ok without it? I personally don't care for the mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Here's a question for you all, do you HAVE to have the mirror/frame at all? Does the tv look ok without it? I personally don't care for the mirror.

It can absolutely be removed and some may like it that way. The television is on an articulated mount which cannot be used with the mirror in place since the mirror is screwed to two small wooden braces which are attached to the side cabinets.

I, however, liked the mirror/frame combination so I hope to be able to repair and reinstall the mirror when the frame arrives.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It can absolutely be removed and some may like it that way. The television is on an articulated mount which cannot be used with the mirror in place since the mirror is screwed to two small wooden braces which are attached to the side cabinets.

I, however, liked the mirror/frame combination so I hope to be able to repair and reinstall the mirror when the frame arrives.

Great! Thanks! Hope you get yours repaired to your satisfaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk