Upgraded brakes with 8k axles

dennych1

Thinking of purchasing a bh3160el. Can anyone tell me from experience wether getting upgraded brakes with 8k-axles is worth it. Do the larger brakes make a big difference.

thanks dennis

jnbhobe

Bigger axels and brakes make a big difference, but disc brakes are the best upgrade there is.

davebennington

When we purchased our Landmark in 2006, the upgrade to the larger 8000 lb axles meant bigger brakes, Dexter Never-lube hubs and bigger springs. I do not know what the new 8000 lb upgrade includes now days.

dave

Last edited:

TXTiger

I have a 2012 Cyclone 4014 with 3 axles and pull with a 2012 Ford F-350 SRW. I have the stock axles and stock drum brakes. An upgrade may be an improvement but I have had no problems so far with stock.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have not heard of folks having failures with stock Dexter axles, other than possible alignment issues -- which is why Correct-Track is being installed, standard. My thought would be, better to have more (capacity) than you need than not having enough. ;)

dennych1

Thanks for the replies I still am not sure which way to go standard brakes or upgrade them.
Thanks
dennis

Niles

We did the upgrade to Disc brake and the Mor-ryde IS, it's not cheap but worth it, also went with the 8k springs. We have a 3670rl and I think this was the best thing we ever did. The trailer rides very smooth, stuff isn't all over the place when we stop. The 8k may be a little overkill, but we are happy with it, we were never overloaded around 12k on trailer when hitched up was the most we ever had. Being a old trucker I know my weights on axles. Brake wise, once you have disc brakes you'll wonder how did I stop before. Good luck with your decision.

kkamshop

Yes love the Mor-Ryde IS and the disc brakes.Until you have disc brakes on your trailer you will never understand. They made a believer out of me.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have just ordered a Landmark and upgraded the axles, wheels and added the disc brakes. The other 4 campers we have had inthe past had the drum brakes. You have to be careful and not follow anyone too close when pulling the camper in that its hard for drum brakes to stop quickly. Not having disc brakes before on a coach, it will be interesting to see the braking response will be.