Upgraded to 17.5" Wheels and Tires

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I replaced my 16" with 17.5" last year. I am running my 114's at 105PSI.

Goodyear Inflation chart for 114's
Goodyear inflation for 114's.JPG

brianharrison

I am wondering why not run at max cold inflation pressure? I understand the load limits with pressure chart. But why reduce pressure to meet current load? I run my current Goodyears G614 at 110 psi (for a 15,000 max load on wheels) - why not run the G114 at 125?

danemayer

I am wondering why not run at max cold inflation pressure? I understand the load limits with pressure chart. But why reduce pressure to meet current load? I run my current Goodyears G614 at 110 psi (for a 15,000 max load on wheels) - why not run the G114 at 125?

I'm not certain, but I would expect that the tread surface wouldn't compress enough under the lighter load to make full contact with the road surface.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Terry, as I understand it, 125 will be over inflated if your rig is at or under GVWR. I'm thinking that might cause excess wear on the center of the tires.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

After looking at my past weigh sheets I decided to run the G114's at 105 psi.

porthole

Retired

The 114's are a completely different tire then the 614's

I run mine at 115 on the toy hauler.

For all of you new to the 114's and have aTPMS either be prepared to adjust the limits on the road (meaning keep yuou manual handy) or deal with the alarm.
A 20psi increase when traveling is not all that uncommon. Even higher on real hot days.

I'd have to check mine, but IIRC My alarm is currently set at 145 psi

lwmcguir

We run ours at 125 and they stay fairly cool on hot days. Do this on the stock trailers as well but they are much heavier loaded. It will be interesting with all the folks running them now to see how they perform down the road. We have some old ones that are well over 10 years and still going.

Terry H

Staff member
For all of you new to the 114's and have a TPMS either be prepared to adjust the limits on the road (meaning keep you manual handy) or deal with the alarm.
A 20psi increase when traveling is not all that uncommon. Even higher on real hot days.

Duane,

Thanks for the tip. I towed the trailer about 100 miles today, the air Temp was about 45 degrees. I set the pressure on the G114's at 105 PSI. On the TPMS I set the high PSI alarm at 125. I had a alarm on one tire at 126 PSI. I raised the high PSI alarm to 135 for the trip home on Monday, which the forecast states it will be in the 80's. I will keep an eye on the PSI as the temps go up and learn what is the normal high running PSI for the G114's.

I was running my G614's at 110 PSI and the PSI never got above 130 even at 105 degrees air temp.

TPMS is reading inside parameters.
The internal pressure and temperature.
You still have to visually inspect your tires for visual problems on a regular basis, like every time you stop for fuel or ata rest stop.
I spent 40 years in industrial maintenance and we refer to that as preventive maintenance.

Hockster

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ordered our new 17.5 wheels and G114's today. Should be in Tues or Wed of next week. They have the a new Lynx wheel they just got in today that is black instead of gray and we ordered the black ones. Shouldn't show the dirt as much (I hope). Picts will follow when we change them out. BTW Terry and others did you order a 17.5 for a spare or are you going to use the 16/G614 for the spare. That is what I intend on doing for now. Might get the extra one for the spare later after saving up some money.

Terry H

Staff member
Ordered our new 17.5 wheels and G114's today. Should be in Tues or Wed of next week. They have the a new Lynx wheel they just got in today that is black instead of gray and we ordered the black ones. Shouldn't show the dirt as much (I hope). Picts will follow when we change them out. BTW Terry and others did you order a 17.5 for a spare or are you going to use the 16/G614 for the spare. That is what I intend on doing for now. Might get the extra one for the spare later after saving up some money.

Jim,

I just bought 4 17.5" wheels and tires, I will use a 16" wheel and tire for a spare. I am hoping that will be a long time from now before I might need to use the spare. If I do use the spare I hope I will only need to use it for a maximum of 350 miles at a time. Because I plan to get a 17.5" tire replacement ASAP.

porthole

Retired
I did get the spare when I bought mine.
But, the 16 and the 17.5 is very close in diameter, so if that is your concern it need not be. And your saving a good chunk of change.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks. For now the 16" is going to be the spare. Plan on keeping the 16 inchers I took off to put back on if I ever trade it.