Use of X chocks with Level-Up.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Wondering for those with the auto level systems, do you also use X chocks and how. If I install mine prior to disonnecting the TV and then do auto level, they are loose between tires? Am I using them wrong? Thx.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

danemayer

The problem is that when auto-leveling, the suspension goes up and down with the frame, changing the distance between the wheels. Put the x-chocks on after leveling and remove before hitching up.

dykesj11

No. You’re ok. Level up, at least on mine, lifts some amount of RV weight off the wheels. The slight bulge created under full load goes away, tires return to essentially round, and you have to retighten xchock as needed. Btw, check the next morning when tires are cold. You may need to tighten again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CDN

B and B
Hello, I am not concerned with X-chocks being loose so much as after several days camping they tighten up as the suspension settles into the ground.

Brian

donr827

When I got my LevelUp I did away with my X chocks but I did use a wheel block behind 2 wheels for peace of mind.
Don

uncledon

Her chauffeur
OK. Thanks for the replies. I won't disconnect without something at the wheels. I have both wheel chocks and the x chocks, so I have options. I understood what was happening.

Dan , it seems to me that tightening the x chocks up after leveling does little good, at least in regard to stabilizing.

danemayer

OK. Thanks for the replies. I won't disconnect without something at the wheels. I have both wheel chocks and the x chocks, so I have options. I understood what was happening.

Dan , it seems to me that tightening the x chocks up after leveling does little good, at least in regard to stabilizing.

If the trailer weight is on the wheels, they will reduce movement of the wheels, which helps. But they're not stabilizers. With 6 point auto-leveling, a few people have added Lippert Stabilizers at the rear of the rig to really get stable.

PondSkum

just make sure you loosen them before you retract the jacks... I did that and almost couldn't get them back loose without lifting the trailer back up. I think the suspension geometry also allows the axles to move away from each other as the trailer is lifted, and when you lower it back down, they move back towards each other. One of my x-chocks were actually digging into the tires when I did it.

RoadJunkie

just make sure you loosen them before you retract the jacks... I did that and almost couldn't get them back loose without lifting the trailer back up. I think the suspension geometry also allows the axles to move away from each other as the trailer is lifted, and when you lower it back down, they move back towards each other. One of my x-chocks were actually digging into the tires when I did it.

Thank you, this is real-world experience that's helping me as I continue to use my X-chocks.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I'm not too convinced of the usefulness of the x chocks once you've done the auto level. I guess it depends if the tires have been lifted off the ground or not. If so, hen I don't see any purpose after that fact.

dykesj11

Here's an alternative to the x-chocks you might want to consider. Fastway Onestep chocks. We got them at an RV shop while we were at the Natl Rally. Once you adjust the length, they are easy in and out.

IMG_3133.jpgIMG_3134.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3131.jpg
    IMG_3131.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 55

PondSkum

I'm not too convinced of the usefulness of the x chocks once you've done the auto level. I guess it depends if the tires have been lifted off the ground or not. If so, hen I don't see any purpose after that fact.

I somewhat agree. I thought it was a good idea during hitching/unhitching on unlevel terrain. for example, my driveway has a nice slope, so I didn't want the trailer to go sliding down the driveway after I unhitched the truck and started pulling forward. But once all of the Jacks are in contact with the ground, I don't see it moving anywhere.

Here's an alternative to the x-chocks you might want to consider. Fastway Onestep chocks. We got them at an RV shop while we were at the Natl Rally. Once you adjust the length, they are easy in and out.

Those look like a better alternative for the issue I had. But $$$.. LOL

So do you need the x chocks to stabilize with lipperts 6pt leveling or not? Will it increase stability or just be a waste of 5-10 mins when I could be drinking a beer?
Note I do block off the wheels from moving so I don’t need them for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I bought a set that worked great on the old rig then we upgraded to our new 5ver and l found they seemed to nothing with 6 pt leveling on new unit. I now throw wheel chocks down to unhitching and then crack a beer while the leveling is doing its thing. No more X chocks for me.

I bought a set that worked great on the old rig then we upgraded to our new 5ver and l found they seemed to nothing with 6 pt leveling on new unit. I now throw wheel chocks down to unhitching and then crack a beer while the leveling is doing its thing. No more X chocks for me.

Glad to hear! For Sale-x wheel chocks $30! PM me if interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

Something else I thought I needed when I bought my RV. Gave them away after the first month of use. Didn't see a difference in their use at all, just added work on setup

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We notice a difference when we do not use ours. The couple of minutes of my time during set-up to use them makes it worthwhile.

avvidclif

A lot has to do with if you have a 4 point or 6 point and where the rear jacks are located. Mine are at the rear, not just behind the wheels. With normal leveling we have no movement and don't use X-Chocks.