Vertical interior trim on slide-out water damage

johnf

Our 2009 2900mk6 has water damage to the bottom of the interior vertical trims on the kitchen & lounge slide outs. On all for verticals the craftwood timber has swollen under the vinyl print and they need replacing. Does anyone know who produces these for Heartland and if it is possible to get them made in real wood so they do not suffer the same fate as the originals? Is there a fix to stop the bottoms getting wet in stormy weather other than bringing the slides in during heavy rain ?

guitarpicr

Have you checked the gaskets outside - If they are in good shape there shouldnt be any water inside. We had water come in ours once during very heavy rain while driving 70 mph on highway when rig was still in warranty & the dealer installed an extra gasket(splash guard) on the bottom of the main slide. - Did yours happen while pulling or when opened up at the campground ?

MC9

I don't know when the same thing happened to our rig. 1. The dealership was nearly flooded out that spring. 2. The local rally was windy-rainy. 3. There was a slow leak on the hot water heater. Luckily we were going by the factory a few days later, stopped in and they went over to the Heartland supply house and got a new one and had it on in about 20 min. no problem since. The tech did show me how to make sure the rubber seals around the slides were aligned correctly. The vertical must be on top of the horizontal (on the inside). opposite on the outside. I think your location may require you to make your own fascia out of Eucalyptus or sumthin.

johnf

Hi Guys,
I just discovered the problem, I am not sure if it happened when stationary or moving. As it is craftwood, I dont think it takes much dampness to swell the timber. One solution I have had so far is to trim about 1/2" of the bottom of each vertical so that it does not sit on the carpet at the base. If the carpet does get wet the craftwood wont suck it up. I think these vertical should be made of plastic wood or real timber to prevent this problem.

guitarpicr

John - That should help but if the carpet is wet then the plywood underneath it will probably get wet & mold also, if it is an ongoing problem. Might call the factory & run it past a tech.