Warm water, not hot, propane or electric

Teedee

First month with my new to my 2013 Heartland Sundance 3300QS. It has a Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater.

I'm getting warm water, not hot. Initially I would get warm water and then it would go cold and I discovered my bypass valve was still open so I closed that. Now I get lots and lots of warm water and it doesn't matter whether it's on electric or propane or both. I'm wondering if it's my thermostat. Propane and electric wouldn't use the same element I'm guessing?? So can somebody tell me how to test to see if it's my thermostat and maybe shoot me a picture of where to find it and how I change it?

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your inside shower hot and cold faucets must be in the off position. And if equipped your outside shower must be off as well.
Having those faucets left on will create a mixer which will leave you with warm water only.
Since you're issue is with propane or electric I doubt you have a water heater issue.

Peace
Dave

Teedee

Your inside shower hot and cold faucets must be in the off position. And if equipped your outside shower must be off as well.
Having those faucets left on will create a mixer which will leave you with warm water only.
Since you're issue is with propane or electric I doubt you have a water heater issue.

Peace
Dave
They are off, I've been in it for 3 weeks now. Any other ideas? That's why I thought it might be a thermostat

jerryjay11

It very well could be your thermostat. You could try popping off your relief valve (Caution-use gloves) into a container and check the temps there. If you find not hot enough, then a thermostat is the issue. Either the high limit or operating thermostat. But be careful as I stated, wear gloves that will prevent you burning yourself as the temperature can be as high as 120 degrees.

rhodies1

I would say it is your thermostat is bad. Just replace it and eliminate one potential item . It’s about a 15 dollar item.

Teedee

It very well could be your thermostat. You could try popping off your relief valve (Caution-use gloves) into a container and check the temps there. If you find not hot enough, then a thermostat is the issue. Either the high limit or operating thermostat. But be careful as I stated, wear gloves that will prevent you burning yourself as the temperature can be as high as 120 degrees.
Do you know how to find and change the thermostat?

rhodies1

Your thermostat is located on the front of the water heater. On the outside if the trailer is a panel for the heater. Remove it and your thermostat is located there under a square plastic/ rubber panel. Make sure you disconnect the shore power before removing the wires from the thermostat. Thermostat is held on a nut or spring assembly. Not hard to replace. Your model number of the heater will determine the thermostat you require.

Teedee

Your thermostat is located on the front of the water heater. On the outside if the trailer is a panel for the heater. Remove it and your thermostat is located there under a square plastic/ rubber panel. Make sure you disconnect the shore power before removing the wires from the thermostat. Thermostat is held on a nut or spring assembly. Not hard to replace. Your model number of the heater will determine the thermostat you require.
Visited the local dealership, they say I need 2 thermostats one electric, one propane, for $40, so I'll have to go look and make sure there's 2 there now

rhodies1

Yes there are 2 thermostats. Seeing your unit is a 2013 replace both and remove that headache. I have 2012 and my electric failed. Replaced both while I had panel removed and power shut down

Torque Man

Both thermostats going bad at the same time? Probably not. You do realize there are two by pass valves on the water heater, one on top and one on the bottom, make sure both are in the proper position.

Teedee

Both thermostats going bad at the same time? Probably not. You do realize there are two by pass valves on the water heater, one on top and one on the bottom, make sure both are in the proper position.
I did not realize there were 2 bypass valves at all! I know there are 4 valves out there.

I figured out the valve on a blue cold water line that was hot to the touch was wrong and changed that valve. Before that change I had 1 minute of hot water followed by cold water. Changing that valve switched the water to continuous warm. Not hot. Warm or tepid.

When it didn't get warmer or hot, I thought maybe it was the thermostat failed and cut off too soon. Then I found out there are two thermostats so having propane and electric fall simultaneously is a stretch. So time to crawl into the belly again.

I crawled in from the door side to look at the back of the hot water heater square on. Then crawled a little bit, head and shoulders, out the off side belly door to reach the outside shower to test. Like Ace Ventura coming out the back end of the rhino.
😜😜🤣

Time to empty the belly out and go back again.

Is knowing there are 2 bypass valves an indicator that you have the same setup? If so, could you send me a picture of your normal use valve positions and which ones you change for winterization and tank draining?

Last edited: