Warranty Issues and problems with some Dealers.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
More tales from the Darkside (service industry): Our normal labor rate is $98 hr. We charge $110 for warranty work because of the extra paperwork, phone, and processing. I have never had Heartland question either rate. We charged them $110 in the beginning, but we do so much now, and I have a routine down with them so we just charge them $98 on most of the non-third party items.
For those companies that delay work and say they're waiting on approval, I call BS except on the rare questionable cases of abuse vs defect. My normal claim process is to take photos, itemize repairs and labor times in an email, send it off and 98% of the time I have either the approval or a request for more info within a few hours. In the email I also lay out the parts needed. I am cc'd on the emails to the parts dept and get a confirmation email when the parts are picked. If they have to be special ordered from a third party vendor, I'm notified. Once the parts are shipped it's either 5 -10 days depending if it's truck or UPS. They pay promptly when the invoice is submitted.

I do not give a second thought to doing any warranty work for Heartland. If someone says they're not getting paid, either their rates are way out of line with everyone else in the area, their service writers are incompetent or someone is not telling the truth.
Yes that's harsh, but I'm pretty tired of seeing unhappy new buyers with problems stemming from nothing but bad service. This isn't rocket science. Provide the evidence of a needed repair, ask for the correct part and get the customer back on the road. I'd like to say that nothing ever goes wrong, but I can't. I get an occasional wrong part. But there is not one instance of not knowing, or being able to find out quickly, where my customer's parts are or when we will finish a job. "Your parts should be here no later than Thursday" is an answer. "We're waiting on parts",is not.

Rant over....:)

jimtoo

Thank you Deb for your rant. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said,,, "If someone says they're not getting paid, either their rates are way out of line with everyone else in the area, their service writers are incompetent or someone is not telling the truth." The only thing I think your forgot is some of the "Techs" don't have a clue to what is happening and waste lots of time.

Jim M

Porkchop

Thanks Deb,

I really appreciate hearing it from the otherside. I thought maybe I was being a complainer when I started encountering push back from the Heartland dealers. I wish I could find someone MUCH closer to me, but I don't want to wait a month + to go to the place that's close to where I'm parked (which I understand they are probably very busy, but its still stings when they said that because I didn't buy from them, I'm last on the list or they won't even work with me. Warranty work or no warranty work. I'll say it again. That's stupidity).

It's crazy how these dealers work.

I would *attempt* to fix it myself if we had the time and it was closer to us, but we don't have either luxury....

Thanks again!

Scott's didn't give me any trouble

Last edited:

noobee

It is financial alright, but not because they are doing "goodwill" for "their" customers. It is short sighted mentality.

But if true - I would like to see proof of it.

Used to be that way in the auto industry. For the most part now, the customer labor rate and the warranty rates are the same, only the allowed hours are different.

You want proof????

All I was trying to reiterate what a local dealer told me. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers!

porthole

Retired
You want proof????

All I was trying to reiterate what a local dealer told me. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers!

You didn't ruffle my feathers. I did over 18 years in new car dealers - service end.
I have heard more excuses, mis-information, out right lies and basic ignorance from dealers then you can imagine.

Dealers will tell you anything to either make you happy, make themselves happy or just make an excuse.

In the end, a lame excuse is just that - a lame excuse.

The "only do it for their own customers as good will" translates to a flag raising.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
How did we wind up at this point?

The OP was upset about scheduling not the service itself or the cost of it. One dealer wouldn't do the work, one dealers appointment didn't fit into their schedule and one dealer was able to schedule a bit closer in time but requires a further commute.

Porkchop, I am sorry you are having some issues. Let's just hope Scott's get's you fixed up real soon and you can begin hanging out on the rally road!