Washer/Dryer waste plumbing for RoadWarrior 427 (or similar)

deonb

I just had a new washing machine installed in my RoadWarrior 427 (garage hookup), but not quite sure about the waste water plumbing. The washer spills water all over the floor during the spin cycle, which then drips out over the rear tire. It's almost like the water seem to come out of an overflowing black water tank since it also gets wet in the toilet area right next to the washer hookup (thankfully the toilet has never been used).

How exactly does the waste plumbing work on a RoadWarrior 427 (or similar which have a washer/dryer hookup in the garage)?

I have a gray water tank access panel in the vicinity of the washer, with 2 valves in it. I've opened both valves and hooked up the outlet but the washer will still keep spilling - even though there's waste water coming out the pipe over there.

What I thought initially was happening is that the washer drained into the black water tank there, and if that wasn't opened it would fill up the tank and overflow. But that's obviously not the case since both valves are open and hooked up.

So does the washing machine drain into either a black or gray water tank first, or does it need to be permanently hooked up? (And if so, which valve controls it?).

deonb

Figured it out - the p-trap below the dryer drain wasn't properly screwed in. Caused quite the leak...

WillyBill

Hello DeonB,

Typically the garage area washer hookup drains into the rear Gray water holding tank. More likely the problem is in the discharge hose. Either not in the drain pipe, or not in that pipe far enough. Usually needs to be in at least 6-8" and verify no kinks at top and/or bottom where it exits the washer cabinet. Since this drain has never been used before (reading between the lines here) you may need to verify with a water hose that it feeds into the gray holding tank & is unobstructed. It wouldn't be the first time debris was blocking that drain pipe. Also try running washer with the drain hose sticking out the door to verify proper washer function.

Good Luck!!

WB

- - - Updated - - -

Gee, ya got it fixed while I was typing!! The best kind. :cool:

deonb

As part of the problem below, I phoned Heartland support and asked them how the tanks were hooked up (for my specific VIN).

Apparently they have no idea how there trailers are actually constructed, because I misspoke - I told them I saw 1 Gray water tank level indicator, and 2 black water tank indicators - so how do I know when the second gray tank is full?

The guy on the phone was 100% certain that yes that is correct, there is only 1 gray water indicator, but it indicates the level for both tanks. (Strange to me.) I asked whether the gray water tanks were connected as a result, and he said they were connected, but I still need to drain them separately. (Which I don't understand why?)

Once I got off the phone I realized I misspoke and there are indeed 2 Gray water indicators, and 1 black water indicator on the main panel - AND a second black water indicator in the garage, which I only figured out later. So basically the Heartland support guy just made the answer up completely as he went along.

At this point, I still have no idea how the plumbing works, whether any tanks are connected internally to each other, or to the drains etc.

I wish Heartland would publish a plumbing diagram for their specific trailer models. It's not a Heartland specific problem - my previous RV was like that as well. I have not a single manual or document from Heartland that has anything to do with specifically a RW427. It appears as if nobody sits in front of a CAD program and actually design these things - they just build a frame and figure out a general layout, and then it's up to the guys on the factory floor to figure out how they want to build it and what should be connected to what - and no requirement to build 2 trailers of the same model alike. It's whatever fits and whatever parts are closest to hand. Similarly to why I suspect light switches are always unlabeled - it just get connected to whatever wire the guy has in his hand at the time. Sigh.

danemayer

For whatever reason, the engineering dep't doesn't want to release their drawings. And yes, some Customer Service Reps are better than others. Some are brand new. Others have been on the job for a long time.

Call back and ask for the plumbing drawing for your rig. While Heartland doesn't publish them, Customer Service can get a specific drawing from the engineer. It's then up to the CS rep as to whether he will email it to you. Several people have posted that they've gotten plumbing drawings.

Keep in mind that designs get updated all the time on these trailers and while engineering documents the changes, I wouldn't be surprised if the drawings aren't perfectly synced up with the changes. So your trailer could be slightly different from whatever drawing you get.