Waste Water Tank Problems

jeverett

I have a 2005 3855R Bighorn, that we recently purchased.

The black water tank does not empty completely. The only way I can empty it is to fill the tank with the flush system as much as I can, then empty it. This may take several times.

Then after only one week of limited use, the commode fills up. I pull the valve and nothing comes out. So I then have to do the flush routine over and over.

Can't locate a clean out trap, unless I take the entire bottom cover off, I guess.

After reading old forum posts, I'm thinking there may be a deisgn flaw, or its the way the unit is sitting and stablized.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Jeverett and welcome to the forum.
If you are getting a week of use out of the black tank, that sounds about right.
And if you pull the valve lever, nothing comes out but you are able to flush the tank to empty it, then it sounds like you might not be using enough water when flushing the toilet.
It is important to use plenty of water when flushing to prevent any clogs along the way.
There is no trap for that but if you want to check out the waste gate valve, then yes, you will have to remove the Coroplast bottom to access it.
I don't think the problem is how it is sitting unless you are way off level.

Peace
Dave

Lynn1130

I don't think a weeks worth of use is reasonable. Assuming 40 gals we dry camp for 10 days or more with most of the family there (13 people) or in and out as schedules permit and have made it through the stay will no problems. With only the two of us 2 weeks or more is normal.

It sounds more like an obstruction of some sort and there are suggestions here (do a search) that recommend the back-flusher units. I would also suggest the Geo-Method, several times with some driving around in between to stir things up.

After dumping, I refill, dump again, refill, dump again until the water is running clear then close things off, add liquid Tide and powdered Calgon mixed with water and fill about half way with water and drive home. When I get to the storage lot I dump again and flush several times until I get clear water.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We also get 3-4 days on average with our black tank as well, but we use a LOT of water to flush each and every time so we never get a blockage problem. Even doing that we still flush it 4-5 times before the water runs clean. That is normal to have to flush multiple times before all remaining debris in the tank is clear. A rule of thumb to follow is the more you flush your tank and the more water you use to assist with EVERY flush the less likely you are to ever have blockage problems in the black tank. Another tip is to use RV rated toilet paper or very cheap paper that breaks down easily.

Rod Ditrich

wrgrs50s

There are several things that can be wrong. It may be from not flushing enough water on each use to push the solids all the way to the tank. You may have to stuff a hose or something down the toilet and through the pipe to feel for obstructions and then clean it out if there is an accumulation there.

If not there, then most likely there is an accumulation in the tank. The other thing I've heard of is the factory workers cutting the hole in the tank for the plumbing and letting the cut out piece fall into the tank and it settles by the pull valve and blocks the solids from draining properly.

The third possibility is that you may not have been putting enough water in the tank before using each time and a pile starts forming where it drops in the tank and hardens enough to stay stuck in place by the time there is enough water in the tank.

It sounds as though your using the right dumping procedure, so once you have found the problem you may be ok from that point. I have made a habit of closing my dump valve when I'm sure the tank is clean and then turning on my flush valve for about 2 minutes for at least 5 to 7 gallons of water to accumulate and leave that water in my tank untill the next campout. That way I never start with a dry tank. Just a thought !!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
There one other thing that the previous owner might have done. They might have left the black tank valve open when parked. If this did accure, then all the solids have built up in the tank and if will be stinker (no pun) to get it all out.

scottyb

Thanks to advise I received here, I have been filling about 1/2 full of water, adding a cup of liquid dishwasher detergent. Then I add a 20 lb bag of ice through the toilet immediately before departure when I know I will have a dump site when I arrive. Seems to slosh around and break up everything while driving.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We get 5 to 7 days for the two of us. We use about a half a bowl of water to flush, too. After dumping and flushing the tank, I add about 8 gallons of water and a cup of Calgon to "charge" the tank for use.

Two weeks or more on a 45 gallon black tank???

Rmcgrath53

rather than taking it all apart for nothing, perhaps you can hire a plumber that has a camera and have him check for the cutoff or other obstruction. There are very reasonable plumbers who would take a look for ya. At least you would be able to proceed.

HappyKayakers

I have a 2005 3855R Bighorn, that we recently purchased.

The black water tank does not empty completely. The only way I can empty it is to fill the tank with the flush system as much as I can, then empty it. This may take several times.

Then after only one week of limited use, the commode fills up. I pull the valve and nothing comes out. So I then have to do the flush routine over and over.

Can't locate a clean out trap, unless I take the entire bottom cover off, I guess.

After reading old forum posts, I'm thinking there may be a deisgn flaw, or its the way the unit is sitting and stablized.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
You may have inherited problems from the previous owner. Personally, I doubt that you have a cutout in the tank. That usually manifests as a slow trickle of water through the valve when dumping. Now, if you or the previous owner got some TP caught in the valve seat, that would prevent the valve from closing completely and allow water to trickle out while leaving solids in the tank. That would also explain a poop pyramid in the tank.
With the valve closed and a clear adaptor on the sewer outlet, have someone inside the RV dump a 5 gal bucket of water down the toilet. If you see water coming out, you need to clean or replace the valve.
If you have a poop pyramid try filling the black tank with water and Rid-X, letting it sit for several weeks if possible. Then flush as usual.

P.S. During normal use, wait till the toilet burps before emptying the black tank. NEVER rely on the sensors.