Water filtration

Mrsfish

For those of you using an external all rv filtration system - do you use 1 micron or 5 micron filters and why? I spoke to Rick at the rv filter store and he explained the difference, but I wanted to hear from the real world on real usage. Thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I use 1 micron sediment and carbon filters from them. I look at the flow ratings for the filters and get the ones that provide the filtration I want with the best flow rate. A 5 micron filter is like putting cheesecloth over the end of the hose, you'll get a higher gpm (maybe) but be letting a considerably more crud through. I've been using this filter system since we got the rig in 2009. Must be doing something right because my water heater anode is still the original and my tap water tastes like...water. The incoming CG water pressure where we stay is almost 60 psi. After my two filters, I'm sending a bit over 40 psi into the rig. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it's quite adequate. The trade off for using a lower micron filter might be having to change it more often, but that has not been a problem. I have a pressure gauge before and after the filters, along with a water meter going into the rig. With them, I can look for pressure drop and flow rates.

Speedy

The two canister system from RVFilter.com works very well and I'm very happy with the setup. I change the sentiment filter every 3 months and the carbon every 6 months.

We have high pressure here and use a reg to bring it down to 55 psi. (from 130 psi)

noobee

The two canister system from RVFilter.com works very well and I'm very happy with the setup. I change the sentiment filter every 3 months and the carbon every 6 months.

We have high pressure here and use a reg to bring it down to 55 psi. (from 130 psi)

I use the same system... I change the sediment filter every month & the carbon filter every 3 months. We are full timers for the summer months & are not traveling with the rig.

MTPockets

I use a two filter system, but the Soft Cell water softener in between a pre filter and the carbon filter. This is a great system and solo nice to have soft water. Also better overall for keeping hoses free of hard water deposits.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Two canister system from the RV filter store with a 1 micron sediment filter followed by a .5 micron carbon filter.

JohnDar

My bad. Our sediment filter is 1 micron, but the carbon filter is 0.5 microns, not 1 micron.

Mrsfish

Thanks for those that answered. I am definitely using a 2 cylinder system, but my question really was focusing on the micron size of the filters you use. 1 or 5 ( or whatever)..please, would you mind posting again?

JohnDar

Thanks for those that answered. I am definitely using a 2 cylinder system, but my question really was focusing on the micron size of the filters you use. 1 or 5 ( or whatever)..please, would you mind posting again?

Mine are a I micron sediment filter and a
0.5 micron F1Pb carbon filter. This time I'm sure :)