Water heater hardly gets hot

mjklm

Hello,
We have a 2011 heartland focus, our heater doesn't produce very hot water plus it takes forever. Any suggestions very appreciated.
Also, I've heard around the campsites, that an electric heater is more efficient than propane, or does it have to be both. Also, how hard is replacement, I'm very competent
with DIY.

Thanks,
mike

danemayer

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The most common cause of lukewarm water is inadvertent mixing of hot and cold water. The 2 things to check are:

1. Outside shower. If the knobs are left open, hot and cold water will mix for the whole trailer.
  2. When de-winterizing, there are three valves. The valve on the hot water and the valve on the cold water lines must be open. The crossover valve must be closed. If the crossover is left open, the hot and cold water will mix.
  3. If you're in an extremely cold location, the water coming into the trailer can be very cold, making it seem like the hot water is lukewarm.

There shouldn't be a lot of difference between using the propane operation or the electric operation. But if you find yourself running out of hot water too quickly, turn both on for faster recovery time.

donr827

I had the same problem and what I found was that the outside shower was slightly open. Closed it and all was well.

mjklm

I had the same problem and what I found was that the outside shower was slightly open. Closed it and all was well.

Thanks, someone else mentioned that also. However that's not an issue on our trailer, unless theres another valve hidden inside. We'll keep investigating. Appreciate your help.

mjklm

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The most common cause of lukewarm water is inadvertent mixing of hot and cold water. The 2 things to check are:

1. Outside shower. If the knobs are left open, hot and cold water will mix for the whole trailer.
  2. When de-winterizing, there are three valves. The valve on the hot water and the valve on the cold water lines must be open. The crossover valve must be closed. If the crossover is left open, the hot and cold water will mix.
  3. If you're in an extremely cold location, the water coming into the trailer can be very cold, making it seem like the hot water is lukewarm.

There shouldn't be a lot of difference between using the propane operation or the electric operation. But if you find yourself running out of hot water too quickly, turn both on for faster recovery time.

Thanks, shower valves are always closed ????? about bypass valve on heater, will leaving it closed stop the mixing, prob stupid ???? but I want to be sure

mike

danemayer

Thanks, shower valves are always closed ????? about bypass valve on heater, will leaving it closed stop the mixing, prob stupid ???? but I want to be sure

mike

There are 3 valves. One on the hot water line coming out of the top of the water heater. That one needs to be open. Another on the cold water line going into the bottom of the water heater. That one needs to be open. The third is on a cross-over line between hot and cold lines. That one needs to be closed - if left open, the hot and cold water will mix.

When winterizing, it's the reverse - hot and cold get closed and crossover gets opened.

Fox

I'm having trouble understanding how open outside shower valves would cause this.
It seems to me the problem would be water running out of the outside shower.

danemayer

I'm having trouble understanding how open outside shower valves would cause this.
It seems to me the problem would be water running out of the outside shower.

The outside shower usually has a spray control that allows water to flow. But inside the fixture, when the knobs are open, the water is mixed, allowing the cold to dilute the hot inside the trailer water lines.

Outside Shower Lukewarm Water.jpg

LBR

I imagine the inside shower will mix the same if both H and C are left open and showerhead shutoff is closed.