Water lines and tanks

pokypa

We are heading south to Fla. for a few months. It is in the 15 degrees here. I have winterized the system and need to flush all the anti-freeze out. My question is will the lines freeze traveling down the road with no heat in the trailer, or should I wait until it get further down south to flush my lines and tanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I alway wait to flush the system until I get far enough south. Usually Mississippi.
For travel water we use a couple of 1 gallon jugs that we store in the shower.
Better safe than sorry.

Peace
Dave

happykraut

I agree with Cookie, better safe than sorry, but I did spend the night at Walmart once and woke up in the morning to 14 degree weather. We did not use the furnace. No damage, but I sure was worried. I'm sure you could not do that for any length of time.

stevenssr

I agree with the others. I always hold off till I get where I'm going. Even with good insulation, going down the road causes a lot of convection cooling around the RV, cooling it off pretty fast. Plus, it only takes a few minutes to clear out the anti-freeze when you get to your destination.

Scott

pokypa

Thanks for all the info. I will wait until I get down south before I flush out the anti-freeze.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for all the info. I will wait until I get down south before I flush out the anti-freeze.

We do the same thing going to the colder temps to go skiing in the winter... We leave TX winterized, when we get to our destination in Colorado, (usually close to freezing), we set up and first thing is de-winterizing hooked to city water, then turn the bypass and fill the hot water heater, then fill the fresh tank which we use most of the stay. When leaving to go back to TX, it depends on the temps where we are headed. Sometimes we re-winterize, other times we don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aatauses

I agree with waiting--we traveled in northern FL one winter and I think we were just lucky that no pipes/fittings broke.
al
currently in Surprise, AZ