Water Pressure Issue

aatauses

Hi everyone,
I have a Watts 263. Here is what is going on for the last month or so: When we leave we turn off the water, when we return the pressure is up to 55-60 lbs (normally set at 40). Also the pressure relief valve in the hot water tank is usually dripping quite steady. I have tried several times to create an air gap in the hot water tank, but the pressure valve continues to drip, actually more with the water off? Curious why the pressure would go up so much---there is a check valve in the infeed so would that not stop water from back pressure??
Where should I start? the pressure relief valve need to be changed?? The check valve need to be changed?
My current systems is hooked up like this: From the campground water--first is my filter, then 25 hose, then in my compartment I have my Watts, then into my rv (I do not have a separate hose from Watts to infeed, the Watts is actually hooked directly into my infeed connection). This setup has worked ok in the past.
thanks
al

57chevyconvt

Just a guess, the Watts regulator has a bad seat and is leaking through. It is probably okay as long as you are using some water, even a small amount. Regulator seats do require replacement over time. I place the water regulator directly on the source and then connect the hose, filter, and then to the RV inlet connection. It also appears that the HW Relief Valve has a bad seat and in need of replacement. Do you exercise the relief valve from time to time to blow out the calcium carbonate that builds up on the valve, i.e., open and close the relief valve with the small handle? DO NOT exercise the RV (relief valve) when the water is hot!

HappyKayakers

Do you also turn off the water heater when you're gone? Excessive temps in the water could also force the pressure relief valve to open.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Could there be a problem with the valve at the pedestal? Not completely shutting off, thus putting pressure into the line. With my set-up, I actually have four valves. The pedestal, the wye on the pedestal, one after my filter system and the last on the UDC manifold. When we leave for an extended period, I shut them all and open/close a hot and cold faucet inside to relieve pressure in the plumbing.

I didn't think the infeed to the water heater had a check valve, only the hot water outlet. The Suburban manual recommends that a check valve NOT installed at the inlet, saying that will increase the likelihood of the pressure relief valve leaking.

aatauses

Thanks I will keep looking---I usually do not turn off the hot water heater when we leave. Good advice on the seat for the regulator, and I do occasionally lift the pressure lever and it pops back in so this is why I think?? it is ok??
Additional ideas are welcomed.
al