Water temps while towing

Gas20

Just curious when some of you tow, what do your water temps run. When normal driving and not towing mine runs about 185, 190 degrees. I have noticed lately that when towing my 12000 lb fifth wheel the temp rises up to a little over 200 degrees, not enough to start worrying but it will go down some then rise again which I attribute to the thermostat opening and closing. Just curious what some others are running. My TV is a dodge ram

sjs731

Re: Water temps towing

My Duramax runs just a hair under 200 when towing. Steeper, longer grades like in Tennessee or Kentucky will get it to where the fan kicks on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

sjs731

Sorry. Just a hair under 210.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

Just curious when some of you tow, what do your water temps run. When normal driving and not towing mine runs about 185, 190 degrees. I have noticed lately that when towing my 12000 lb fifth wheel the temp rises up to a little over 200 degrees, not enough to start worrying but it will go down some then rise again which I attribute to the thermostat opening and closing. Just curious what some others are running. My TV is a dodge ram

That's pretty common with the cummins. It will fluctuate with the thermostat. 200 deg on the coolant is nothing to be concerned about. I wouldn't worry about 210 if that is your normal operating zone.

What I would watch out for is something out off the norm. If your truck tows constantly with temps between 200 and 205. Then one day its hanging around 210 to 215. Something could be up as you norm for the past xxxxx miles was 200 to 205.

You just have to figure out what your norm is. It's different on most pickups as those factory gauges aren't very accurate. Probably within 5 deg or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Rrloren

Depending on ambient temps mine runs 195 - 205 unless pulling a steep grade then it may go up a couple degrees.
As Matt says if you go up a few degrees from normal you'll need to check it out. When in Florida last Feb. I saw mine creep up to 215 not towing and got an alarm from my Edge CTS, turned out to be the water pump was leaking and had to be replaced.

Lynn1130

What sjs731 said. Long grades in 100 degree heat (this is Arizona you know) with a full load will cause it to climb 10 or 20 degrees and the fan clutch to kick in but it comes right back down at the top of the climb. Flat land tow is under 210. My no load, around town, hot day temp is just under 210.

I cannot tell you about Dodges but with the Duramax if you are seeing temp increases on flat land tows over what it runs with no load, on a hot day, you should start checking the cooling system.