Weatherization of a heartland key largo?

wildwolfproducts

What does everyone use for the hose that sticks down into the gallon jugs? I was thinking just cut a section off an old water hose and use that? Being theres no hose to connect for doing the Weatherization on our Key Largo. Figure we will have to do ours every few weeks. As we camp about every month even in winter. Camp for a week then put it up for a couple of weeks. :D Got to chase those winter time Sauger here in West tn.:cool:
Pete

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
A 1/2" ID braided vinyl hose are on most from the factory. (HomeDepot/ Lowes sells it by the foot 6'-8') Just make sure of the size barb on your water pump connection.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Bummer. Sure makes winterization easy. I guess sometimes newer isn't necessarily better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildwolfproducts

Bummer. Sure makes winterization easy. I guess sometimes newer isn't necessarily better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree there has been a few items I bought that were left overs because they had stuff the new ones did not LOL But then again there's 2 things I wish ours has the newer ones built this year has. Awning over the outdoor Tv and the New lights.

caissiel

Most people that use the units in the freezing winter months will winterize with air and save the expense of antifreeze and draining it out every 2 weeks.

I use an adapter on the city connection to a conpressor nozzle and fill the drained Hot Water tank full of air (never more then 40 PSI) and go inside and open the valves one after the other till no more water flows. Then I do it all again to make sure no more water left in the low sections of the lines. The reason I fill the HW tank is that the air flow from the hose nozzle is never fast enough to carry the water in the lines at least to my satisfaction. The cold water check valve to the Hot Water tank on my unit has been replaced with an adapter allowing the backward flow of air to the cold water side. Then I pump a bit of antifreeze in the 12 volt pump or remoce the fittings to drain it. I would also find a way to blow air in the line to the pump from the water holding tank before draining it.
Been doing it for 18 years without any problems.

wildwolfproducts

I have always used air on our other camper's. And I'm sure I will be using air on this one most times also. But there's time's I have to do it and there's no air where I'm at. But being I do have a Generator this time and the Air compressor it may always be done with air.
But I always like to have a backup plan just in case.
Pete

danemayer

If you have a refrigerator with Icemaker and/or water dispenser, you'll need to use air to evacuate the lines and empty the storage tank.

bighorn3370

Before you go out and buy some new hose. Check behind the UDC where the pump is. On the older Heartlands they had hose in back for winterizing. Ernie

wildwolfproducts

Dan thanks and yes we will be clearing the ice maker line next month and leaving it off until next spring.

Bighorn our 2012 does not have it back there also. But not an issue will just cut the old water hose I was keeping for some reason.
Pete

MaxOwner

Hey all.

What is involved with winterizing the ice maker?

Found the water lines at the blue plastic solenoid? Just read about the 1/4" line behind the UDC that I will be shutting off as we don't uses the icemaker at all.

Also does one have to do anything special for the UDC directional valve? Where you select to tank, city water hook up, winterize feature?

The manual isn't clear on the icemaker. And nothing is said about the directional valve....

NO access to a compressor.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My UDC has a short hose for drawing antifreeze, but it's way too short. So I made an extension from a length of 1/2" clear Tygon tubing and a female fitting to fit the OEM hose end. I put the jug on the ground and use the hose, via the water pump, to draw the antifreeze up. I do blow out the water lines with air prior to putting the antifreeze in, though, since my rig sits in outside storage (SE Michigan) all winter. In the spring, I purge the antifreeze with air and then run fresh water through the lines, using the pump.

When you do winterize, remember to press the city water check valve "button" to make sure it's got antifreeze. Do the same for the black tank flush fitting to drain it, if it has a check valve. You won't get antifreeze in it, but you don't want to leave it full of water between the fitting and the anti-siphon valve.

MaxOwner

On our Key Largo, the waterline for thhe icemaker in under the sink.

No length of hose for winterizing here.

wildwolfproducts

My UDC has a short hose for drawing antifreeze, but it's way too short. So I made an extension from a length of 1/2" clear Tygon tubing and a female fitting to fit the OEM hose end. I put the jug on the ground and use the hose, via the water pump, to draw the antifreeze up. I do blow out the water lines with air prior to putting the antifreeze in, though, since my rig sits in outside storage (SE Michigan) all winter. In the spring, I purge the antifreeze with air and then run fresh water through the lines, using the pump.

When you do winterize, remember to press the city water check valve "button" to make sure it's got antifreeze. Do the same for the black tank flush fitting to drain it, if it has a check valve. You won't get antifreeze in it, but you don't want to leave it full of water between the fitting and the anti-siphon valve.

Where is this valve at? press the city water check valve "button" to make sure it's got antifreeze. Don't think I have found that one yet?

Pete